JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We have never seen weather like that!

Many brothers and sisters have had to be evacuated. However, just how many is not known as communities on the east coast of the North Island are cut off and communications are still down. 

Some of the communities we are waiting to hear from are Wairoa, Gisborne, Napier, Hastings, there are probably others I don't know about. The widespread devastation is unprecedented in my lifetime ... 21 years ... oops glitch meant to read 50 plus years. While the damage to homes, businesses, infrastructure, livestock is just heartbreaking, if we are talking human lives, it doesn't come near Turkey or Syria. NZ has escaped with most of her people safe, bedraggled, but safe.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

20 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Many brothers and sisters have had to be evacuated. However, just how many is not known as communities on the east coast of the North Island are cut off and communications are still down. 

Some of the communities we are waiting to hear from are Wairoa, Gisborne, Napier, Hastings, there are probably others I don't know about. The widespread devastation is unprecedented in my lifetime ... 21 years ... oops glitch meant to read 50 plus years. While the damage to homes, businesses, infrastructure, livestock is just heartbreaking, if we are talking human lives, it doesn't come near Turkey or Syria. NZ has escaped with most of her people safe, bedraggled, but safe.

Thank you for your update, Mandi.  I have been thinking of you while watching the deluge updates on the news.

I know you are further South but I'm still glad to hear you are safe.  My prayers for all the brothers and sisters in NZ affected by this weather.  I am sure the brothers will update us on the website as soon as they have news.

💕💕

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

It was scary yesterday ... we got a good swipe from Gabrielles tail. Elders were concerned enough to hold meeting on zoom. Thankfully it has passed.

However, an update to my previous post we have 4 confirmed dead from Gabrielle and 1500 missing so things are still coming to light. They are still rescuing people from their roofs so hoping a good number of those missing are those or double up of stats.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

In our pioneer channel one of the young brothers said we all tried to get under the table, but dad couldn't fit. So our COBE may have got squished if it was any bigger. Haha

The slash are the off cuts that can't be used after milling. Just debris that came with the water. My concern is they are setting up morgue. If their grave concern were for a few only they could cope.

Most extreme weather I’ve ever seen in NZ in my 58 years here. Hard to believe how widespread the damage with most of the north island affected. 
Thankfully, my place in Auckland got off lightly compared to others. Our household swelled to 9 including 4 children for a few days as family members had to flee their homes and evacuated to our place. 

Power outages were wide spread. My elderly mother was essentially trapped in her apartment with lifts not working and water not pumping therefore no flushing toilets. Took 3 days to restore her power but a sister in our cong is still without power after 5 days waiting. Some areas worst hit in Hawkes bay and surrounding areas could be without power for weeks.

Edited by Dave

This has just come into my inbox:

New Zealand has recorded two new deaths from Cyclone Gabrielle, bringing the toll to at least 11.

Thousands remain uncontactable due to severed communications links and power outages .......

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said the number of reports of uncontactable people had risen to 6431, with 3216 resolved as safe.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/natural-disasters/nz-cyclone-death-toll-rises-to-11-as-recovery-continues-c-9801694?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=perthnow_update_2023-2-19&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sendgrid+wan_newsletter

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

North vs South (USA )

Winter storm in the North and heat wave in the South creates 100-degree difference across US.

A powerful winter storm set record cold temperatures in the northern plains of the US, while a heat wave in the southeast set record highs for the month of February – leaving the US with an unusually stark temperature difference of more than 100 degrees.

Much of Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas currently have temperatures below zero, including minus 9 degrees in Cut Bank, Montana. At the same time, much of the South, from Texas to the Carolinas, has temperatures above 80 degrees, including a scorching 95 in McAllen, Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/22/weather/winter-storm-us-wednesday/index.html

🥵  🥶

Los Angeles California has received its first Blizzard Warning :eek:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/blizzard-warning-tv-los-angeles-snow-winds-forecast-1235267927/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...