JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We have never seen weather like that!

Sometimes i wonder why people can't just completely evacuate from these disaster prone regions and move to more stable places,i will be very pleased to share my small town with anyone in need.

to me it makes no sense to keep living in dangerous regions,constantly in fear and always numbering your days.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:55 PM, Ishaya said:

to me it makes no sense to keep living in dangerous regions,constantly in fear and always numbering your days.

My exact thought! However if you are poor and have no connections with the outside world, how would you pack up and move? It's a tough decision  to make even if you have the means. This is one reason there are so many " boat people " risking their lives to flee dangerous and poverty stricken countries.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/22/middleeast/middle-east-climate-water-shortage-iran-urmia-intl/index.html

The Middle East is running out of water, and parts of it are becoming uninhabitable

The ferries that once shuttled tourists to and from the little islets in Iran's Lake Urmia sit rusty, unable to move, on what is rapidly becoming a salt plain. Just two decades ago, Urmia was the Middle East's biggest lake, its local economy a thriving tourist center of hotels and restaurants.

Such problems are familiar in many parts of the Middle East -- where water is simply running out.

2021-08-22_04h25_05.png

https://www.ky3.com/2021/08/22/least-8-killed-tennessee-flood-dozens-missing/ At least 10 killed in Tennessee flash floods; dozens missing

This is getting close to home for me

Catastrophic flooding in Middle Tennessee left at least ten people dead and dozens missing Saturday as record-shattering rainfall washed away homes and rural roads, authorities said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-58295511 Hurricane Grace kills eight as it rips through eastern Mexico

The deaths and the worst damage occurred in the state of Veracruz, where the storm uprooted trees when it made landfall early on Saturday.

In the state capital, Xalapa, many streets became rivers of mud.

The hurricane later weakened to a tropical storm as it moved inland.

12 hours ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/22/us/tennessee-flooding/index.html Tennessee flooding leaves 21 people dead and around 20 others missing

I haven't heard if any of the friends were effected.😌

I watched this yesterday on the news,and i keep wondering what could be the cause of this flooding over there.i mean you have a very civilized and well enlightened society with state of the art amenities.so its hard to think of indescriminate waste dumping or improper drainage as a probable cause.

30 minutes ago, Ishaya said:

i keep wondering what could be the cause of this flooding over there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/21/tennessee-catastrophic-flooding/

some parts of the western middle of Tennessee received 8 to 10 inches of rain, some even more, all within an eight-hour span, starting at midnight. Dickson, Hickman, Humphreys and Houston counties fared the worst, suffering catastrophic flooding, she said.

This is what causes flash flooding, so much rain in a short period of time, the water simply doesn't have anywhere to flow!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58303792

Madagascar on the brink of climate change-induced famine - 😟

Madagascar is on the brink of experiencing the world's first "climate change famine", according to the United Nations, which says tens of thousands of people are already suffering "catastrophic" levels of hunger and food insecurity after four years without rain.

"This is unprecedented. These people have done nothing to contribute to climate change. They don't burn fossil fuels… and yet they are bearing the brunt of climate change," said Ms Thakral.

In the remote village of Fandiova, in Amboasary district, families recently showed a visiting WFP team the locusts that they were eating.

"I clean the insects as best I can but there's almost no water," said Tamaria, a mother of four, who goes by one name.

"My children and I have been eating this every day now for eight months because we have nothing else to eat and no rain to allow us to harvest what we have sown," she added.

"Today we have absolutely nothing to eat except cactus leaves," said Bole, a mother of three, sitting on the dry earth.

She said her husband had recently died of hunger, as had a neighbour, leaving her with two more children to feed.

"What can I say? Our life is all about looking for cactus leaves, again and again, to survive."

I just reread some of the posts here. It's heartbreaking. So much catastrophe. 

This just came up on my news feed, Tahoe is such a beautiful place its tragic this is happening. So much loss. And I cannot even let myself think of the animal life.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/caldor-fire-lake-tahoe-california-number-one/

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Every time I hear of another natural disaster I think of how many lives lost! 
then I quickly replace my sadness with, ‘at least they’ll have a chance of a resurrection,’ then I don’t feel so sad….

Natural disasters are certainly on the increase that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, Jothob said:

Every time I hear of another natural disaster I think of how many lives lost! 
then I quickly replace my sadness with, ‘at least they’ll have a chance of a resurrection,’ then I don’t feel so sad….

Natural disasters are certainly on the increase that’s for sure. 

Also, today I spoke with my sister who moved to Sicily nearly a year ago, she said the weather is horrendous, it’s so hot and humid that all the locals are saying this year is different! They've never seen weather like it. 
My sister said that it’s unbearable and she’s looking forward to coming over to the UK soon for a holiday! She said she never thought in a million years she’d actually long for British weather! 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, BLEmom said:

It really is incredible the increase in weather catastrophes. I’ve been wondering if all the money saved in having in person conventions can be used instead in aid. Now that we are used to online conventions, it makes sense to me to use those funds in other ways. 

It is being done around the world. It is part of our world wide work.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Praying for the safety of our brothers and sisters and all the people in Louisiana as Ida bears down on the state.

Is anyone one here from that area?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58372746

Ida is expected on make landfall on the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday evening, bringing 140mph (220km/h) winds and a "life-threatening" storm surge.

Forecasters say it could be even stronger than Hurricane Katrina that devastated much of New Orleans in 2005.

The hurricane is intensifying over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, boosting it from a category-2 to an extremely dangerous category-4 storm.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jothob said:

today I spoke with my sister who moved to Sicily nearly a year ago, she said the weather is horrendous, it’s so hot and humid that all the locals are saying this year is different!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/09/summer-2021-tied-1936-usas-hottest-record/8260289002/

Was this summer hot enough for you? Are you more ready for fall than ever?

If so, maybe it's because the summer of 2021 tied with the summer of 1936 for the nation's hottest on record, federal climate scientists announced Thursday. 

The average temperature during the summer of 2021 for the contiguous U.S. was 74 degrees, which is 2.6 degrees above average, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

This technically exceeds the record heat of the infamous 1936 Dust Bowl summer, but the difference is extremely small (less than 0.01 of a degree), thus for statistical purposes it's a tie, NOAA said. 

Heat Wave Summer GIF by Rabbids

Wow! Just had a fast moving storm go through. Heavy rain for 10 minutes then non stop lightning, most not close but overlapping lightning lighting up the sky. Just slowing down now after 10 minutes however still lots lightning south and east of us.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 9/9/2021 at 3:16 PM, Lee49 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/09/summer-2021-tied-1936-usas-hottest-record/8260289002/

Was this summer hot enough for you? Are you more ready for fall than ever?

If so, maybe it's because the summer of 2021 tied with the summer of 1936 for the nation's hottest on record, federal climate scientists announced Thursday. 

The average temperature during the summer of 2021 for the contiguous U.S. was 74 degrees, which is 2.6 degrees above average, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

This technically exceeds the record heat of the infamous 1936 Dust Bowl summer, but the difference is extremely small (less than 0.01 of a degree), thus for statistical purposes it's a tie, NOAA said. 

Heat Wave Summer GIF by Rabbids

Sadly, for us on the coast, the heat inland means cooler than normal temps for us. A brother in San Francisco said they were trying to reach 60 degrees.  We here in Washington state on the ocean were at 65 to 70, 🙄. It would be nice to get some heat. 

It's all so unbalanced. Nothing is normal.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Hmm one of the mildest summers here on the Gulf Coast of Texas in years. No drought, I don't think we even hit a hundred degrees. If we did it was just a day or so. We are fixing to get a soaker from the Gulf though so I may have to add us to the list of weird weather at the end of the week. 

6 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Nothing is normal.  Reminds me of a line Igor said when asked whose brain did he get. Abby something. Abby Normal. Still lightning mainly southeast over Lake Erie but some north of us too. The occasional  bolt between  clouds.

Abby normal 😄😄

Link to weather network of lightning storm in London ON on Sunday. You have to suffer thru 2 ads 1st.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAOo6nH?m=en-ca&referrerID=InAppShare

I hope link works. Lightning was intense and video doesn't do it justice.

Edited by pnutts

added line

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: