JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ultra White paint

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 942 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

So 1.  I wish it could take away the humidity too.  
2.  What we need where I live is a roof that is white in summer and black in winter. 
Someone should come up with panels that flip from white to black. 
In the new system I would love for my house to have a lot of glass so I can still see nature outside and so I can grow as many plants as I want inside. It will be interesting to see how I can make that happen and be energy efficient.  Lol

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

19 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

In the new system I would love for my house to have a lot of glass so I can still see nature outside and so I can grow as many plants as I want inside. It will be interesting to see how I can make that happen and be energy efficient.  Lol

Yes this. I'd like to do this now but my wife says no. 

The roof of WHQ in Warwick is covered with vegetation. 

20 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Yes this. I'd like to do this now but my wife says no. 

The roof of WHQ in Warwick is covered with vegetation. 

Well there’s also the whole privacy issue to be solved. 😉

44 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Somehow, I don't think white paint will eliminate A/C in Florida  :deadhorse: 

It amazes me that 100 years ago no one had ac!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

I wonder how much the white paint would raise the temperature immediately outside the building 

9 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Well there’s also the whole privacy issue to be solved. 😉

It amazes me that 100 years ago no one had ac!

Me too. I came to realize buildings (at least homes) were designed differently back then. Some of these big old homes had huge transom windows built above even interior doors of houses. These could be opened and created air circulation and allowed heat to rise up and out. 

I've read more than once that people should keep their blinds shut during the day and open them at night because the heat comes through the windows.  But it's pretty at day and people want to see out. 

We have a big attic fan that we run at night. Creates enough wind and suction that it can close doors that are ajar. Cools the house at night.  Plus it's a cinder block house and that seems to help keep the house cool. 

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Me too. I came to realize buildings (at least homes) were designed differently back then. Some of these big old homes had huge transom windows built above even interior doors of houses. These could be opened and created air circulation and allowed heat to rise up and out. 

Do you think it was just the house design was different?  I grew up in Florida and those houses don’t have that style of ventilation.  And yet, most back before the 1960’s didn’t have ac.  
I think it’s got to be a combination of factors.  Design, the changes mankind has done to the earth for the bad and our own bodies maybe not regulating temperatures as well as they could. 

can’t wait to figure out or see how it all should work!

There were probably a lot of factors involved in home designs such as money and location being just two.  

Sometimes I think our modern conveniences have made us soft.  We're used to A/C and people just can't tolerate the heat.  100 or more years ago when there was no A/C people had no choice but to build up a tolerance to the heat.

This is also why the siesta was invented.  You look at people who live in countries that take siestas in the middle of the day and you see they all at least used to in the past shut down during the heat of the day and take naps.  Then they stay up later in the cooler evenings and nights.  

I grew up in Florida without A/C. 

Yes, we just dealt with the heat as best as we could. That meant no doing much during the heat of the day. It also meant dealing with cleaning the mildew off things on a somewhat daily basis. Example, we had our meetings on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. These were the days I needed to wear my "good shoes" ... not the ones I wore to school. Before each meeting I had to clean a layer of mildew off my shoes before putting them on.

You also got used to your clothes to feel "damp" when you put them on unless you hung something in the closet to keep them dry.

It is more than just the heat that makes people want A/C - having A/C sure does make life easier during the oppressive humid heat of daily life for 4-6 months running.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 hours ago, Loopy said:

There’s nothing like “fresh” air. ☺️

I coudn't agree more.

its good to have lots of trees planted around the house if possible,I think it screens the sun out and brings the fresh air in.

plus it is natural and ecofriendly.too many A/Cs contribute to global warming.