JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Debloat-speedup your windows

Found a good video on YouTube on how to de-bloat - speed up windows 10 ( maybe earlier versions too ).

"Setting up the perfect windows 10" by Chris Titus Tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVy4GAtkh7Q

You don't have to do it all, some is quite involved, but some things are easy.

1 Don't defrag SSD drives - ever!   I actually have know this for years with flash drives -sd cards, etc.

2 Update windows. Then in advanced options select OFF for allow other computers to update.

There is another couple of steps but not for weak of heart.

3 Turn OFF Location and diagnostics - especially in laptops. Real power hog.

4 Turn OFF background apps ( you can choose here )

5 Turn OFF app diagnostics

6 In power settings ( esp new slow laptops ) select high performance - maybe under hidden

7 Right click on hard drive in my computer / windows explorer, etc and uncheck index this drive. It really slows down a computer esp a laptop.

All this and more is in the video. These 7 steps are the easiest.

There will still be lots of bloatware that you need to follow video to get rid off.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I'm subbed to him and I've used a few of his Linux & Windows guides. That video is actually a bit out of date, he has debloat scripts and some GUI tools now, though they can disable certain Windows/Microsoft features depending on how they are configured.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc7fktTRMBoxajVXk9-zy6YmRfReNmCwO

One thing I was disappointed to see with his debloating script is that is and "all-or-nothing" script. It does not give you the opportunity to decide which of the MS installed programs/apps you want to keep

I would much prefer an "yes/no" option for each of the apps.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Try just the turning off running in background apps and if possible  delete ones don't use. Also delete some from starting up with windows. Time consuming to do each part but it doesn't break windows and does speed up the system.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

14 hours ago, Qapla said:

I would much prefer an "yes/no" option for each of the apps.

There are some GUI options available that let you choose individually somewhat. I believe https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater supports that. I previously went through Chris' script and manually changed some of the options to customize it a bit. Though I don't feel the need for such scripts with my current computers.

• 1 month later...

Learn to msconfig

The manual way to turn off programs in wndows.

First hide all windows services.

Then the programs you know you can start manually.  Take those out of the start up menu.

If your brave and do services... Only turn off services you know goto programs you switched to manualy turning on. (Remember you hid microsoft services.. They are to interconnected)

Only use one anti virus... Never 2.

Ssd thing... Only uses up rewrites.... But theres 100k rewrites..  Its really not that bad....

The thing thats useful if you have a split system  ssd/mechanical drive is to put al you temp folders for your browser caching on the mechanical drive.  Help take a chunk out of the rewrites on your ssd... Honestly.. Home users probly will just get a new computer before the ssd wears out.

If your computer is older and slower... This can help.

The next step is just doing a new install of your operating system.... Automatic 10% speed up....

But if your system is full ssd.... Don.t really need to worry.. Just keep it under 75% full... Keep the start up programs simple.

Another thing to keep in mind for SSD - do NOT defragment them. They don't need it. You just use up the rewrites.

You can look at the files/apps that run at startup and "run once" at startup in regedit. You can "comment" them out to see if you can turn them off. That way you can simply uncomment them if you find you need to. If you comment them out and use your computer for a while and have no issues ... you can remove them from the startup routines

An app like CCleaner has a good start menu tool that makes it easier to find them than using regedit if you are not savvy enough no navigate it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Ccleaner to someone new... May not like if they don.t bookmark and run histories for thier page saving.

But yes the start program tool is good.

I.m not sure registry diving is that safe....

Unless thats non windows environment?

I would avoid using regedit as it is very easy to mess your system up. 

I wouldn't worry about defragmenting an ssd, it'll only take up a cycle. Thats not really a concern though with windows defragmenter because it "trims" your ssd which is perfectly fine. - https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-ssd/what-is-trim

I'll need to find the article again, but windows defender is one of the top real time virus protection software. It also doesn't slow your pc down like 3rd party virus protection does. If you have a virus that defender cant find use malwarebytes, with kaspersy or bit defender. For active protection Windows Defender with an ad blocker is good. https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/best-antivirus/

Turning off startup apps helps speed things up. Push Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up task manager and click show more details (or expand? I forget the name). Once expanded go to startup and disable. Things you dont use everytime like spotify, discord, steam, and other none essential apps.

It is worth noting that removing some of these "startup" apps will speed your Windows "startup" process.  But on the downside, they have to take time to startup when you want them.  I stopped my mail app from running on startup but when I want to see the mail, I have to wait while the app loads my emails and syncs.  S, slow now or slow later, your choice

On 11/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, jwhess said:

It is worth noting that removing some of these "startup" apps will speed your Windows "startup" process.  But on the downside, they have to take time to startup when you want them.  I stopped my mail app from running on startup but when I want to see the mail, I have to wait while the app loads my emails and syncs.  S, slow now or slow later, your choice

True, but it does help not having everything load at once and not having a ton of programs running in the background taking resources. I suppose its a use case thing, can't tell you how many times I've helped with slow running pc's that had so much unnecessary stuff running.