JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global Warming / Climate Change

When I was in kindergarten , I was taught that plants LOVE CO2. Did something change? 

Im a very simple minded person and   I don't have all the statistics. 

I just thought more CO2 means more happy trees. Im probably wrong. 

No question that man is ruining the earth, but wood stoves and cows are not "it" in my opinion. Add to it the mining all the lithium needed for EV vehicles is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. Where is all that electricity coming from ? Coal and Nuclear . Still polluted. What do they do with electric wind turbine blades when used up ? They cant be recycled.

We need to be directed from heaven on such matters. I look forward to how Jehovah says is correct. 

From my research, it appears the earth goes through" cycles". But again thats just my research  which most likely will be different than others research.😅

All I know is that I  hope its not hot in paradise. Try doing a garden in Texas. It ain't easy! Lol

24 minutes ago, Tsheppar said:

When I was in kindergarten , I was taught that plants LOVE CO2. Did something change? 

I just thought more CO2 means more happy trees. Im probably wrong. 

No question that man is ruining the earth, but wood stoves and cows are not "it" in my opinion. Add to it the mining all the lithium needed for EV vehicles is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. Where is all that electricity coming from ? Coal and Nuclear . Still polluted. What do they do with electric wind turbine blades when used up ? They cant be recycled.

We need to be directed from heaven on such matters. I look forward to how Jehovah says is correct. 

From my research, it appears the earth goes through" cycles". But again thats just my research  which most likely will be different than others research.😅

All I know is that I  hope its not hot in paradise. Try doing a garden in Texas. It ain't easy! Lol

Yes, green plants & trees take in CO2, the problem is, man’s “system of things”, burning coal to produce electricity & heat for 8 billion people, billions of people driving combustion engine cars that pump out CO2, factories, cement production for all construction,etc, basically every part  of the entire “system” produces insane amounts of carbon dioxide 

SO, there is far too much CO2 for plants & trees to absorb. AND, in mankind’s “brilliance”, the massive deforestation all over the planet, is further reducing the amount of trees that can absorb CO2, AND, increasing wildfires burn the plants & trees and release their CO2, AND, recent studies show that the runaway greenhouse effect due to too much CO2 in the atmosphere, is heating the Arctic, and melting permafrost is releasing more huge amounts of CO2! 

As many of the knowledgeable friends on here have shared, this problem and its effects, is catastrophic! it’s one of the “signs” Jehovah forewarned us to expect, because he knew our “system” would culminate in such problems, and it adds to the issue of Sovereignty demonstrating another way that mankind would destroy themselves without Jehovah intervening to rescue mankind!

5 hours ago, computerwiz said:

I've even noticed something similar with weather news sites.  One radar looking kinda red & scary,

It's called nudging. It's a whole thing. It's designed to alter our behaviour to a behaviour that is deemed more acceptable/in line with their (the nudging units) objectives.

Here's an opinion piece from somebody who has noticed the same thing as you and @Tsheppar(Telegraph is a highly reputable paper in the UK)

https://archive.li/y6Hg4

Here is an article from Sky openly saying how and why they do it:

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/behaviour-change-on-climate-can-be-driven-by-tv-says-sky

Here's the report that the Sky group based their actions on:

https://www.bi.team/publications/the-power-of-tv-nudging-viewers-to-decarbonise-their-lifestyles/

The report was launched at the United Nations’ 26th Climate Conference in Glasgow.

Here's an article on how the "nudge unit" was deployed in another situation where our behaviour needed adjusting:

https://archive.li/XqX4i

Here's a quote from the UK nudge unit chief taken from the article:

"Prof Halpern said that while fear-based messaging in general is not effective, he defended its use in extreme circumstances. 
“There are times when you do need to cut through… particularly if you think people are wrongly calibrated,” he said."

Here's my two-cents:

As Christians we are definitely "wrongly calibrated" for this world. We need to be aware that there is full scale social engineering going on and that this social engineering is to re-calibrate us to the views, beliefs and goals of one particular organisation - the UN, aka the scarlet coloured wild beast.

It might not feel like a problem when it comes to net zero or wearing masks during a pandemic but if anyone thinks that is the extent of the nudging going on then they are horribly naive.

Forewarned is forearmed.

2 hours ago, Tsheppar said:

I just thought more CO2 means more happy trees. Im probably wrong....

Here's something you might find interesting from NASA regarding the fact that the world is now greener than 35 years ago - "The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States."

https://www.nasa.gov/technology/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth-study-finds/

The study above initially attributes all of the growth to "carbon dioxide fertilisation" due to the increase in CO2 we've been discussing but later they released further evidence showing that it is a combination of human activity plus CO2 fertilisation that is behind the re-greening of the planet - so human endeavour has speeded up the natural process.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-facilities/ames/human-activity-in-china-and-india-dominates-the-greening-of-earth-nasa-study-shows/

Wouldn't it just be that way that Jehovah's wonderful earth is a living planet with balancing mechanisms, just like our individual bodies with their immune systems ❤

8 hours ago, computerwiz said:

The news sensationalizes things.  That's their job.  They have to be captivating otherwise they lose viewers.

Case in point, our previous CO told us about the local news reporting on his neighborhood and claiming that his mailbox was blown over by the hurricane that passed through years ago.  They never talked to him.  If they did....they would have found out he took the mailbox down himself because it was a nice mailbox and he didn't want it to get damaged!  👀

I've even noticed something similar with weather news sites.  One radar looking kinda red & scary, caused a neighboring congregation to go on zoom for the night.  I look at the weather app that I know and trust, and the same radar looked yellow.  Guess what.....it rained moderately, but by the time we left for our meeting, it was drizzling.  I suppose we may have sinned a little by joking about our neighboring congregation :whistling:....but the weather app they used sensationalized it, and it scared them.  😕

We are living in a time when just about the only thing we can fully trust is our organization.  Money motivates corporations & people waaaaaay too much.

Which weather app do you use?

3 hours ago, cme said:

Which weather app do you use?

https://www.wunderground.com/

I like looking at the 10-day forecast because it actually shows a lot of detail.  I can use my mouse (or finger) to see the specific details of each hour for the next 10 days.

So for the situation I mentioned, I could see 100% rain just like they could.  But the total precipitation for around our meeting time was small, like only .5 inches.  Wind speed was not much at all.

So while it got a little bad for a very short period, I could tell from those details we'd be fine for our meeting time.  And the radar for Wunderground didn't look as bad as Weather.com.  This is what it looked like for them:

image.thumb.png.032a6dc03f4b5c3713fe6ea6d19454fb.png

Now I don't have the Wunderground radar to compare.  Apparently I didn't send it.  But this is how it looked for Weather.com.  And the red area was just a darker yellow shade for Wunderground.  So seeing that + the specifics for our meeting time = we weren't worried & we didn't switch to Zoom that night.  And all was fine.  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Frances Bennett said:

Here's the report that the Sky group based their actions on:

https://www.bi.team/publications/the-power-of-tv-nudging-viewers-to-decarbonise-their-lifestyles/

Now that I actually know how many billions of tons of CO2 is put into the air from all sources, their amount here is just laughable...

image.png.3c915c3540f6338a2b327b181c5f1a65.png

Their comment is pushing for a 0.5% change in the total CO2 emissions worldwide!  0.5%!!!!!!

Yeah...I'll give up my meat for that.  :lol1:

My wife is from New Iberia. She still has family there - Sextons.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

14 minutes ago, trottigy said:

My wife is from New Iberia. She still has family there - Sextons.

Wow small world!  👀

Are the Sextons JWs?  I don't believe I've met any, though there are 2 congregations in NI.  In any case, if you ever come visit, we should meet up somewhere.  😎👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

Wow small world!  👀

Are the Sextons JWs?  I don't believe I've met any, though there are 2 congregations in NI.  In any case, if you ever come visit, we should meet up somewhere.  😎👍

No, they are not witnesses. BUT, I will keep you in mind now that I know where you are  :wave:

EDIT: without trying to hijeck a topic ....  :whistling: It is always nice to met up with fellow JWTalkers. I have met up with friends from Alaska to Ireland. You all are amazing. I can NOT wait for the New World..

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/hajj-2024-deaths-saudi-arabia-extreme-heat/

Saw this very sad news. 

Here’s a video about that and more

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 hour ago, Dages said:

Worse weather ever here :D It's cold and rainy. Still not feel like summer.

So far we had 1 day that hit 80F, that was just Tuesday this week. Ugh! Other than that it’s been cloudy, rainy and cool. 

I’ll take a summer in the 60’s to maybe 70’s with barely any humidity any day of the week. 🤣🤣🤣

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Posted (edited)

People in Las Vegas WISH for cool days in the 80s or 90s:

Vegas.thumb.JPG.6cec16183eb85d4bb5d8d45589e947df.JPG

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Yes, I think the fact that over 1,000 people have died from that heat puts it a different category than uncomfortable rainy or 80 degree weather. 
Imagine if 1000 people died in NYC from heat in one month. That would be shocking. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

What's a Haboob ?  -------    💨

All eyes were on New Mexico Wednesday as a unique weather event swept through the region, enveloping many cities across the state in a thick brown haze momentarily.

The dust storm, also known as a "haboob" hit New Mexico and northern Mexico, carving 200-mile path through the area in seconds, according to satellite video footage obtained by USA TODAY.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/06/21/new-mexico-haboob-dust-storm-video/74172740007/?tbref=hp

• 1 month later...

I have several articles that came out this week in Scientific American.  I have a subscription to Scientific American, but I think it would probably be inappropriate for me to post the articles here.  

1)  Alaska is predicted to hit 90 degrees this week.

2)  First recorded species to go extinct.  The Key Largo tree cactus was initially found growing in the United States in 1992 at a single site. That population has since been lost to a combination of rising sea levels and increasingly intense storms.

3)  A Methane Satellite was launched to join a network of satellites to monitor methane release into the atmosphere.  Sadly, regulations do not work on the oil and gas industry to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  Methane is 80 times as powerful as CO2 as a greenhouse gas but does not stay in the atmosphere as long.

These would be very critical events to the world.  As Jehovah's Witnesses, we know that Jehovah will not allow anyone to 'ruin the earth' because he will act in His own due time.