JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Petrol (gas) prices worldwide

Since the war started in Ukraine petrol price skyrocketed here Down Under

Approximately 9 days ago we were paying $1.69 for a litre, that is 95 grade petrol, 98 was more expensive.(We do not do gallons here)  

I am curious about prices in other parts of the world. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

California is close to averaging $5 per gallon.

Converting liters to gallons and AUD to USD I think we are paying the same as you are.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

California is close to averaging $5 per gallon.

Converting liters to gallons and AUD to USD I think we are paying the same as you are.

As of today we are paying AU$2 per l (which is a lot) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

We are over $2 a litre now (not sure exactly). 

Was coincidentally watching this on YouTube about petrol prices in Russia from the perspective of normal everyday Russians. 

This is the video I was watching as well ….:o

Prices going up every day. My company got bought out last month so now I am out of a job. Great timing. Lol. I guess at least I’m not paying for gas to drive to work. Haha 

My question is why is no one talking about OPEC and them releasing more gas for the market?  I’m very ignorant with how everything is connected but shouldn’t there be talk about getting more oil from other places?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

2 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

My question is why is no one talking about OPEC and them releasing more gas for the market?  I’m very ignorant with how everything is connected but shouldn’t there be talk about getting more oil from other places?

Good question. I haven't delved into yet but something to keep in mind is that anything that disrupts the supply/demand and delivery process will have a ripple effect.

As far a the Russian crude, not all crude is alike, actually it is very different. Think of crude like coffee or wine, every country produces a different variety. Oil refineries can't process just any crude, they are typically designed to process specific types or blends of crude.

It will be interesting to watch this aspect of the situation develop.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Good question. I haven't delved into yet but something to keep in mind is that anything that disrupts the supply/demand and delivery process will have a ripple effect.

As far a the Russian crude, not all crude is alike, actually it is very different. Think of crude like coffee or wine, every country produces a different variety. Oil refineries can't process just any crude, they are typically designed to process specific types or blends of crude.

It will be interesting to watch this aspect of the situation develop.

I didn’t realize that about different types of crude!  
Makes sense. So much to learn in the world!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

2 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

I didn’t realize that about different types of crude!  
Makes sense. So much to learn in the world!

There is also issues with logistics. Transportating oil and refined products can be a logistics nightmare.

Gas here went up 40­¢ a gallon from Friday to Saturday... yesterday it was $4 gal - haven't been out today to know what it is today

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Lewis said:

Gas price today in Vancouver is between 199.9 and 209.9 per L for reg depending which gas station and what city you go to.

Yes, I looked at that and apparently Vancouver has the highest prices in Canada. They say it's not only because of the Russia-Ukraine war. They attribute it also to the increase in demand in the post-COVID era. I'm on the other side of the country, and here it's only (lol) 186 cents per litre (average); more specifically it's 185.5 cents per litre, 185.9, 186.9, depending on where you happen to go in Greater Montreal.

The local news just reported that president Biden has approved the release of 30,000,000 gallons of crude oil from the Strategic Reserves.

What? 30 million gallons would last just over 4 days in the refinery that I worked at. 

President Biden actually approved the release of 30 million barrels of crude. That's 42 times more than the newscaster announced..🤣

In Canada the price varies due to province and how close to major market. Ontario in GTA is about $1.85 Canadian per litter. In Vancouver it is over $2 and going up.

Just a side note. 1 US gallon is 3.78 liters. An Imperial gallon is 4.539 litres. The ounces are different  too.

1 US ounce is approx 29.57 ml whereas an Imp ounce is appro 28.41 ml.

Learned that many a year ago when converting between the 3. Lab was different than my calculations and I said only way for that to happen is if ounces where different sizes. They are. Not taught in school in late 60s early 70s.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: