JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Computer standards for Kingdom Halls

Hey, I’m a ministerial servant and I’m in charge of our A/V department in the hall. We approved the purchase of buying a new computer, our current laptop is out of date and on the slow side. So in preparation for the comeback, we want to be updated on tech.

In our search for a new desktop/laptop. Are there any requirements from the organization as to standards for the computers? I have searched out forms on the website and cannot really find anything specific.

Appreciate any direction.

13 minutes ago, Tyree said:

Hey, I’m a ministerial servant and I’m in charge of our A/V department in the hall. We approved the purchase of buying a new computer, our current laptop is out of date and on the slow side. So in preparation for the comeback, we want to be updated on tech.

In our search for a new desktop/laptop. Are there any requirements from the organization as to standards for the computers? I have searched out forms on the website and cannot really find anything specific.

Maybe the elders could ask the Bethel for guidance?

We have had some direction from the LDC for minimum specs:

I5 processor
512 HDD
8GB Ram
2GB graphics card (likely to need to purchase separately)

We’re meeting tomorrow and looking at an HP desktop with similar specs, but 16GB Ram and a 4GB graphics card. Total cost just under £1,000.

HTH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our current is an i5 and oh man is it slow. Especially now that ZOOM involved. I was talking to a sister in LDC Who handles setting up tech at different kingdom halls. She said that the standard seems to be a desktop computer, our current one is a laptop. So I thought that was pretty interesting, I have not seen this in written form though anywhere. So I’m uncertain.

28 minutes ago, Tyree said:

Our current is an i5 and oh man is it slow. Especially now that ZOOM involved. I was talking to a sister in LDC Who handles setting up tech at different kingdom halls. She said that the standard seems to be a desktop computer, our current one is a laptop. So I thought that was pretty interesting, I have not seen this in written form though anywhere. So I’m uncertain.

It depends on what generation your i5 is.  There's a huge difference between 11th or 12th gen i5 and a 9th gen i5.  Also, the underlying circuitry is also slower(RAM, communications between chips, ect...)

Whatever the CPU - the Branch usually recommends a Windows system.

The PC should have good speed in the CPU, sufficient RAM and dual monitor capability. Built in wired network connection and several USB ports.

Having one that uses an SSD (solid state drive) for the boot drive and a large HDD for storage will also make the system run much faster.

Make sure, if you are replacing your monitors, they have a fast refresh rate, and I would go with a minimum 27" display.

Wireless keyboard and mouse can make it much easier to navigate the PC without having to fight a cord.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In a recent email from the LDC, they recommended an HP ProDesk G7 or G6.

Our current laptop is an i5, has 8GB.  Can't remember the gen, but is from 2015.  It still works well, and no problem with Zoom on the test runs.  My main problem with it the the screen.  Its a laptop screen 15 inch, 1366x768 resolution.   Before it was ok, but with Zoom, screen real-estate is lacking.  No room to have everything on the screen without overlapping.  And no more ports to add an extra monitor.

I want to propose we get a new one now, but we are also trying to get a refurb.  But the timescale on that is unknown.  It could be months away, or could be years away.  Should that matter?  Can only try.

We have some of our monitors connected by USB ... don't need a special port for that.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Found 

1 hour ago, On the huh said:

In a recent email from the LDC, they recommended an HP ProDesk G7 or G6.

Our current laptop is an i5, has 8GB.  Can't remember the gen, but is from 2015.  It still works well, and no problem with Zoom on the test runs.  My main problem with it the the screen.  Its a laptop screen 15 inch, 1366x768 resolution.   Before it was ok, but with Zoom, screen real-estate is lacking.  No room to have everything on the screen without overlapping.  And no more ports to add an extra monitor.

I want to propose we get a new one now, but we are also trying to get a refurb.  But the timescale on that is unknown.  It could be months away, or could be years away.  Should that matter?  Can only try.

Sounds like you're referring to a HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Small Form Factor (SFF) Business PC.

Specs:

Intel Core 7 (i7)

16GB RAM

256GB SSD

2TB HDD

This thing is a beast, I'm only able to find i5 mini pc of this. Which seems to lack the appropriate ports.

No, it's this one.  Looks similar.  i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

HP ProDesk 400 G7 Small Form Factor with i5 - HP Store UK

It has HDMI, DisplayPort, and another optional port (so possible second HDMI for three monitors).  5 rear USBs and 4 front USBs.  Plenty of connections.  Could use one of them for a fourth monitor.

Just updating you guys, we went with a custom build computer which actually cost more than what I suggested it was a decision out of my control ultimately. I did my part as for offering computer suggestions. A part of this decision was that the custom build actually meets branch requirements.

Hi everyone, 

The Maintenance Committee of our Kingdom Hall has assigned our congregation AV team to implement and install all the equipment to have hybrid meetings. 

I'm from Central America, I asked my elders if we have received any instruction about the type of webcam that we have to use. They said that decision is upon us. 

Yesterday me tested a logitech 920C with a USB extension but the computer did not recognize the devise when we use the USB extension. 

Our computer desk is like 10 to 12 meters away from the place where we are planning to install the webcam. 

If you have any suggestions I will appreciate your comments because right now I'm running out of ideas. Thanks 

Unfortunately a few years before the pandemic a brother in the congregation recommended the same thing… 2 custom build computers. We didn’t have great success with them. Especially with driver compatibility and updates. Seems whenever a Windows 10 update would fall something would stop working. I think what the brothers suggest about the LDC guidelines is best. Although I’m a Mac fan and even though the new macs can run JW Library natively, its best to go with recommendations. It’ll make support much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Tyree said:

I’m pretty sure in one of the forms for setting up media computer it gave minimum requirements. Search for the USLDC-3145-E form on the website there are computer specs on there. 

4652DB12-9BBB-46E6-B20B-B34282583C76.jpeg

Edited by quincy

On 3/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, 1914 said:

Hi everyone, 

The Maintenance Committee of our Kingdom Hall has assigned our congregation AV team to implement and install all the equipment to have hybrid meetings. 

I'm from Central America, I asked my elders if we have received any instruction about the type of webcam that we have to use. They said that decision is upon us. 

Yesterday me tested a logitech 920C with a USB extension but the computer did not recognize the devise when we use the USB extension. 

Our computer desk is like 10 to 12 meters away from the place where we are planning to install the webcam. 

If you have any suggestions I will appreciate your comments because right now I'm running out of ideas. Thanks 

We had to use cat6 extenders, it has usb on both ends but runs through cat6 POE. You can run that over 100’ without loss