JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 622 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Google engineer claims AI technology LaMDA is sentient

It has read Les Miserables, meditates daily, and is apparently sentient, according to one Google researcher.

Blake Lemoine, a software engineer and AI researcher with the tech giant, has published a full transcript of conversations he and a colleague had with the "chatbot" called LaMDA.

He says he's now on "paid administrative leave" for violating confidentiality and has raised ethics concerns with the company — but Google says the evidence "does not support his claims".

Here's what we know about this so far.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-13/google-ai-lamda-sentient-engineer-blake-lemoine-says/101147222?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

AIisREAL.png

LaMDA.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

This is downright crazy.

My car. It’s 2022 Subaru Outback, Touring XT. 
My son said I couldn’t get it because it has artificial intelligence. His friend made an 80 mile drive up the coast, with him just sitting there. 
I’m not driving it much, so, I’m having a hard time getting used of it. I drove it to town yesterday, and, I saw, (well, really noticed) a thing on the steering wheel. And, (I have been reading the book on it. The simplified one.)
Anyway, I saw this thing, and it dawned on me, that if I pushed it, it would drive itself. And, that sort of chilled me. 
My point is, they are throwing out AI in places, that for me, is downright shocking. 
Now I get to try to figure out what, and why this Google guy got suspended. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Artificial Intelligence is one thing - sentients is another thing altogether.

I would imagine he got suspended because, if his claim was true, the Government will jump into the middle of Google's business along with all sorts of protests, pro and con, will ensuing, even if those people don't know what they are really protesting.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 months later...

Latest on the Saga:

Fired Engineer Says He Begged Google to Test Whether Experimental AI Was Sentient

"There is this major technology that has the chance of influencing human history for the next century..."

TUESDAY  by MAGGIE HARRISON

Back in June, former Google engineer Blake Lemoine decided to go on record with The Washington Post to make an extraordinary claim: that an experimental Google chatbot called LaMDA had become, in his opinion, sentient. A mind-bending he-said, she-said saga followed — at one point, the AI had even reportedly a hired lawyer. In the end, the company fired Lemoine.

But now, in a new interview with The Guardian, Lemoine — who has maintained that his beliefs about LaMDA are based in religion, not science — is claiming that he never set out to convince the public of LaMDA's sentience.

[read more:]

https://futurism.com/engineer-begged-google-test-experimental-ai-sentient

SagaA-I.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone