JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has anyone seen any "good" movies lately?

Stephen King? Really?! Wow....the last person I would have attributed it to...and it's not like I haven't seen the movie 50 times... Morgan Freeman is a great actor...love most all of his work. He is from here in the Mississippi Delta...has a couple of restaurants/juke joints just north of where I live, and comes back often. Several family members have met him when he's in town...not me, though. :no:

I met him when our lab was working on "Along came a spider". I sat through several screenings with him and he was a very nice person, very soft-spoken but with a great laugh!

Shawshank Redemption! Rough movie, but so well done, the story and acting was superb!

I suggest the edited version.

Last week aired on Greek television awesome film.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

In the same category

Gone with the Wind

Titanic

The English Patient

Green Mile

La vita e bella

The notebook (I personally do not have an opinion because I do not seen).

Gone with the Wind <-- Heard it was good.

Titanic <---- Was VERY good!

^ In fact, to see how meticulous James Cameron was about accuracy, look at the pic of the Titanic's captain in the recent Awake article about it.

The English Patient <--- Never saw.

Green Mile <---- Was good if this is what I am thinking it was (football player?)

La vita e bella <--- Never heard.

The notebook <--- Was good, although the movie should have ended at a scene about 10 minutes earlier than it did.

The post had to do with the movies that the sisters I know loves. And the most of them cry at the end. Is not mine top5.

Unfortunately in the last years I see only children's films. Ice Age, Madagascar, Up, Rio ....

recently saw again the movie American History X

Information for the two movies.

The English Patient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_English_Patient_(film)

La vita e bella http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Beautiful

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

+1 for Life Is Beautiful. Bitter/sweet comedy set in Nazi occupied Italy.

Titanic - hated it. (A Night To Remember is by far the best film about the Titanic. even though it may not be entirely accurate.)

The English Patient - very good.

My recommendations:

Koyaanisqatsi

Powaqqatsi

Naqoyqatsi

all excellent films - no speech at all, so no bad language! Beautiful filming with a great Philip Glass soundtrack. Highly recommended.

I agree christopher about the Titanic.

it took the boat 2 hours to sink and we had to sit through this vomit fest for 3.

When Jack went under the water, i was so pleased, i could finally go home.

A night to remember is the Best Titanic film.

My top 10 must see films are.

1. Star trek 2 the wrath of khan.

2. The Italian Job (the original)

3. planet of the apes. (the original)

4. 2001 a space odyssey

5. The Maltese falcon

6. Metropolis 1927 film by Fritz lang.

7. The odd couple

8. Blade runner

9. The great escape.

10. The time machine (original)

Unfortunately in the last years I see only children's films. Ice Age, Madagascar, Up, Rio ....

All good good good.

recently saw again the movie American History X

Haha! I remember seeing that in the mid 90's and at the time thought it was good then. I couldn't go around recommending it to my brothers and sisters with a good conscience today though. I'd probably be down in the boom boom room with a couple of elder's discussing my eligibility as a ministerial servant if I did :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

it took the boat 2 hours to sink and we had to sit through this vomit fest for 3.

:lol1:

My top 10 must see films are.

1. Star trek 2 the wrath of khan.

2. The Italian Job (the original)

3. planet of the apes. (the original)

4. 2001 a space odyssey

5. The Maltese falcon

6. Metropolis 1927 film by Fritz lang.

7. The odd couple

8. Blade runner

9. The great escape.

10. The time machine (original)

Did you see the recent "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"? - Fantastic movie!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Ron I agree with you. For me the all story is wrong, talking about a girl who cheating her fiance.

But I would like to share a personal experience. I saw the Titanic along with a sister, a year later we married.

Now think that experience with your own experience

I asked a sister if i could spend some time in the ministry with her, getting to know her.

She reported me to the Elders, and would not speak to me for six months.

Nikos it amazes me how many American tourist come over and want to find out about Rose and Jack.

Reminds me of a joke about the Titanic.

A magician get a job on the Titanic and he is up on stage performing his tricks.

Part of the act he has a parrot that sits on his shoulder.

As the magician is juggling some balls, they vanish, and the crowd goes wild shouting "More, More".

The parrot squawks "There up his sleeves, there up his sleeves".

The magician says. to the bird, "Be quiet, your spoiling my act".

The Magician gets some clubs, and starts to juggle them, and again they vanish. The audience is on

their feet yelling for more.

The parrot squawks, "There up his other sleeve". Just then the ship hits the iceberg and sinks.

The poor magician is floating in the Atlantic on a piece of wood, when the parrot fly s over and lands on his shoulder, and asks.

"OK, i give up, what have you done with the ship".

Last night my wife and I watched Man On Wire. An excellent documentary film about the man who walked the tightrope between the twin towers of the WTC in 1974. It features archive footage and stills of that, and his walk across the pillars of Sydney Harbour Bridge, and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

The tension is well maintained even though you know the end.

All in all an excellent movie - language is OK (an occasional swearword I think, but not persistent bad language) and there is very brief nudity. [it was on TV so may have been edited.]

Last night my wife and I watched Man On Wire. An excellent documentary film about the man who walked the tightrope between the twin towers of the WTC in 1974. It features archive footage and stills of that, and his walk across the pillars of Sydney Harbour Bridge, and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

The tension is well maintained even though you know the end.

All in all an excellent movie - language is OK (an occasional swearword I think, but not persistent bad language) and there is very brief nudity. [it was on TV so may have been edited.]

I posted a preview of this movie on the first page of this thread.I agree with you Christopher!

This was a great documentary.

If you like this film you may also like the documentary called "project nim".It was done by the same people who did man on a wire..

I really enjoyed this film..

here's a link to reviews of this film

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/project_nim/

youtube has previews as well..

Titanic <---- Was VERY good!

^ In fact, to see how meticulous James Cameron was about accuracy, look at the pic of the Titanic's captain in the recent Awake article about it.

Completely agree!

Titanic is actually my favourite film...I saw it when I was about 7, and fell in love with it...and Leonardo Di Caprio of course :crush::laugh:

I have it on VCR and DVD and i've also saved a playlist of Youtube videos of the film (in parts). I also have the music from the actual film on my mobile....I'm sad i know.

I completely recommend Titanic...not many films make me cry, but that one always does :sweat:

I like the old 1950 sci fi movies.

The day the Earth stood still

Forbidden planet

The Time machine.

But i also love Humphrey Bogart

Casablanca, the Maltese falcon, The African Queen.

I just hate chic flicks.

Worst films.

1. Titanic

2. The lake house

3. maid in Manhattan

4. You've got mail

5. crossroads.

If you watch any of these films guys. (Take a sick bag with you)

Here are a few other films I like (...not as much as Titanic though :clown:) :

- Fried Green Tomatoes (With Kathy Bates, its a really good film, makes me cry!)

- Jane Eyre (BBC Version was good - another I really enjoy)

- Miss congeniality (Good film, funny)

- Goodbye Lenin (really sad, its in German, but I loved it when I watched it at school, and it made me cry again)

I'll add to this list when I can but can't think of much else at this very moment :)

I have no idea what a "chic flicks" means, hope this is a language issue...:clown::clown:

I think there are some graduations must be settled.

Like:

Saw once and forgot.

Saw once and feed up.

Saw once and sick.

Saw 100 years ago and still sick.

Saw ones and need one more.

Saw three times and finally got it.

Saw 100 times and want to see again.

Required to unmarried (married) sisters/brothers.

Forbidden to unmarried (married) sisters/brothers.

The eternal movie.

and so forth....

"Absolute rubbish”