JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has anyone seen any "good" movies lately?

Is there any good comedy films out? I need a good laugh.

I like mel Brooks, and Blazing saddles is my favourite film.

I like Monty python also.

Every time I want a good laugh, I pull out the original "Airplane"!

I always catch something funny that I missed in past viewings. :)

I like a varied mix of films.

Steel magnolias . . the funeral scene and fight that turns so funny.

Beaches . . . the scene where CC says she remembers everything about the dying Hilary . . after CC walks away . .Hilary says "That's what I'm counting on".

Men In Black 1 . . Will Smith talks to farm wife in dump of a house . . blacks out her memory and tells her to "go buy some new clothes and redecorate . . coz damn!".

*this topic has got me walking down memory lane*. :popcorn:

Lori, I am a "old movie" buff and my wife and I like a movie called "The Egg and I" starring Fed MacMurray, Claudette Colbere (?), Marjorie Main and Percy Kilbride. Itis I blackened white, old, but (for my wife and I), very funny! Maybe you would enjoy it too, anyway, I hope so.

Bob,

I have seen this movie several times...and I am in total agreement....this is a very funny movie...to me! It has so many hilarious scenes.....that you can't stop laughing.

I always liked Claudette Colbert.....she was great in romantic comedies....like...."It happened one night"....with Clark Gable....this was made in 1934 and it still cracks me up whenever I get a chance to watch it.

Last school Holidays we took the kids to see the Muppets at the Movies, that was awesome

funny. sad and left you feeling good,

I enjoy watching the old movies like.... gone with the wind ...and the big country

they are awesome, leave you feeling good,

I don't get to see many movies. I like Gone in 60 seconds only cause of the cars.

they are awesome machines. and fast and the furious. i like the car chases..

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

i like the film the Odd couple Neil simon is a genius and the dialogue in the film is very good.

I love the bit where Murry the cop is worried cause Felix has taken an overdose of pills.

Oscar reply. "Don't worry, its vitamin tablets, hes probably the healthiest among us us"

Has anyone seen What to expect when your expecting? A sister in my cong has asked me to go see it with her ( shes 8 months pregnant) and i said yes but then after reading about it on commonsensemedis.org im not so sure?

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting

After reading the synopsis and review by Common Sense Media, click on the middle User Reviews tab and read the comments. Those are voluntarily submitted by parents and kids alike.

The synopsis says "Cliches run rife (dads-to-be are scared about the prospect of fatherhood; moms are pushy and overeager), as do swearing (mostly "s--t," "ass," and the like) and sexual references/humor (though there's not too much actual action)."

I have to hear swearing all day long, so that part doesn't bother me except for the fact that it says it "runs rife" throughout the movie. However, I HATE sexual innuendo's and sexual "humor", especially in the presence of my children as typically it's purpose is to make like of it's moral seriousness.

Brooke, a 14 year old reviewer said "I liked it, but it was interesting. A lot of references to inappropriate things. Although it is funny. I would see it if your okay with some language, and sexual references."

Add to the above the fact that it is a chick flick - you will not find me watching this movie any time soon.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On the other hand, the sister who is pregnant is "expecting" and probably feels that she can relate to this films theme, which I am sure she can. And perhaps you and her can tolerate a measure of what Common Sense Media draws to your attention about this film. It's up to you and your conscience.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks brother. But no, my consience wont allow it i decided. I would never go and see it otherwise ( i basically only watch kids movies these days) so i spoke to the sister at last nights meeting and she agreed....phew! She didnt realise as didnt know about sites like common sense media and the trailer doesnt show the bad stuff.....she said she would feel uncomftable with all the swearing alone so im glad i said something! On that note, my husband and i watched The Adventures Of Tin Tin the other night. That was good!!

I love My Life in ruins It was funny

Eight days I think that's the title It was great, sad and beautiful Antarict senery

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

A while back I heard a talk radio couple talking about a movie released back in the 70's and it was X rated...but they said that now, it was an R. So I guess the "I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole" therory doesn't always work. If the worlds "poles" are getting smaller, then ours should be getting longer.

Do NOT see Eric and bills billion dollar movie. It was soooo bad even my husband turned it off after 2.5 minutes. I won't even go into details as tO not traumatized or give anyone bad visuals they don't need.

I did see Sherlock Holmes newest movie. Always been Sherlock Holmes fan.

Those movies are fantastic, especially the most recent one. I saw it in theatres last winter. FANTASTIC!

• 4 weeks later...

I took the kids yesterday to see... Ice age 4...Very funny, both kids and all in the audience were laughing, has a interesting twist in the story. won't spoil it.

I am sitting here in tears after laughing so much - this is so funny - :upsidedown:::S

i am hoping it's a language/ translation thing

or maybe children are older and not witnesses?

Could imagine sending my 14 & 8 year olds to check out suitability of a movie - lol

sorry - just read ROBERT ELV post from back in May :)

Those movies are fantastic, especially the most recent one. I saw it in theatres last winter. FANTASTIC!

I haven't seen the first one. From our understanding it has dealings with demonistic subject. I started to watch the 2nd but they had a scene with a fortune teller. What impressed me was my 10 year old started yelling JEHOVAH! as he ran and turned it off. Said he refuses to watch it.

Can someone give me a bit more insight if they have demonic subject in it? The first one, my wife and I both saw the pentagram burning on the floor during the advertisement and were a bit worried.

I saw The Avengers on opening night, best movie I have EVER seen!!!!

I just took my boys this past weekend to see THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Best Spiderman movie of them all!!! I like it better than that Tobey McWhat's his name....

[sherlock Holmes] I haven't seen the first one. From our understanding it has dealings with demonistic subject.

I saw The Avengers on opening night, best movie I have EVER seen!!!!

Fortune tellers = bad.

Greek gods = cool!

:tongue:

With the 2nd one in recent memory, I cannot remember the first. But here is a short synopsis:

What's the story?

Bloodthirsty British Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong) -- who has a penchant for dark, occult rituals -- has turned serial killer, terrorizing late-1800s London. Enter Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s keenly observant detective, and his comrade-in-arms, Dr. Watson (Jude Law), who manage to capture Blackwood and get him thrown behind bars. But after he’s hanged, his body disappears from its crypt; it appears he's risen from the dead to come after Holmes. But with Watson about to get engaged and an old flame (Rachel McAdams) hounding him, what is Holmes to do? Can his deductive powers get him out of this dangerous scrape?

From: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/sherlock-holmes

See also: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/