JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has anyone seen any "good" movies lately?

Speaking of movies I was at Bethel Canada last month and the sister that was giving the tour said there is a movie coming out based on a sisters life next year...since I was pushing my husband in the wheelchair I couldnt write it down...can you find out what the name of it is? :( please

Anyone find out yet?   ...   might be nice to see

Does anybody Know.....

Speaking of movies I was at Bethel Canada last month and the sister that was giving the tour said there is a movie coming out based on a sisters life next year...since I was pushing my husband in the wheelchair I couldnt write it down...can you find out what the name of it is?:( please

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

Warning! Warning! Pompeii, the new 3-D movie is rated Pg-13. Saw it with my husband. If I had been alone, I would have walked out. But, my eyes were closed for so much of it. The idiots moved the Roman gladiators to Pompeii. Need I say more? So many ways to create that story line. Ugh!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Lately there have been a number of Bible themed movies out there,  There is one called Son of God which is being heavily advertised,  I wonder if it is going to be another Passion of the Christ (an R rated movie that I for one have chosen to avoid).  My personal favorite rendering of Jesus' account was called Jesus of Nazareth, featuring Robert Powell.  They kind of changed the meaning of some scenes, but I particularly liked the account of the man born blind given sight.

Now, Russell Crowe is going to play Noah.  I really don't know about that...

My favorite renditon of Noah is the section dealing with him in the 1966 movie "The Bible - in the Beginning".  Noah was played by John Huston, with wonderful respect and dignity.  The movie also ended with a fascinating account of Abraham, played by George C Scott, and Ava Gardner played Sarah!!  It was rated G, but there were a couple of scenes - Adam and Eve were actually naked, and Abraham and Sarah really loved each other (didnt see anything though - I think George and Ava were married at the time)

One non biblical movie that was really impressive to me was a 2009 animation called "Up".  It had a definite story with real feelings, not just silliness, and although it was fantasy, there were realistic themes in it.  Edward Asner (from Mary Tyler Moore Show) beautifully played the old man, and Christopher Plummer (from Sound of Music) played the inventor/archeologist who.... well, the story is very good.

It wouldn’t really be considered a movie but on Netflix I started watching a series with Kevin Spacey called House of Cards.  I like Kevin Spacey and is similar to the West Wing.  I have only seen season 1 the first 3 episodes but really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SseGZNMujXs

I tried watching Sherlock with the same actor that played Khan in the newest Star Trek but I really do not like him as an actor – he always looks like an evil psycho.

Edited by Harpman

Hi, These days because of my busy schedule I don't watch movie very often. I love to collect DVD animation like finding NEMO..hahahha sounds funny right because usually kids love animation and I am no longer a kid. :lol:  :D

Finding Nemo. One of my all time favorites! And I am a couple generations past being a kid. Except at heart.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Speaking of Biblical films, one of my favorite ones is Prince of Egypt. It's animated film by Dreamworks (this was before or around the time they started making CGI films like Shrek and Madagascar and had a 2D animation department) based on Moses' story from when he was in Egyptian society to just after the Israelites crossed the Red Sea (I kinda wish they fit more events into the two hours, but oh well). Even though I'm a big Disney fan, this is a big non-Disney animation favorite of mine, it's really really close to being a Disney level animated film (amazing animation, songs, characters, etc). Plus it's pretty Biblically accurate, even for an animated film. And the song from it, When You Believe by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston is really nice too. I remember seeing the sequel, Joseph: King of Dreams a while ago at a friend's house on VHS, but I don't remember it much. I'd love to see it again now that I'm older to see how it treats Joseph's story.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen "The Book Thief"? This is one I will watch more than once. Based on a popular novel, the story centers on a young girl sent to live with foster parents just as WWII is starting. Death narrates, war and persecution are the evils. Gentleness and love amid the horror of war provides the contrast and the vehicle for growth.

TheBookThief.jpg

I can also recommend "We Bought a Zoo". I thought it was a great movie. Also, while I have not seen it, I was

fascinated by the movie " Saving Mr. Banks". The movie, starring Tom Hanks, tells the story behind the making of

the much beloved Disney classic "Mary Poppins." I would love to see the movie myself as Mary Poppins was the

first movie my parent took us as a family to see so many years ago.

As far as TV, if you can get the History channel, they have several fascinating documentaries and recreations

of significant events in history. Many of them go right along and expand on the lessons we have learned about

the fulfillment of prophesy. Particularly the march of the world powers. I saw one show that they had that told they

history of the  Emperor Nero and his lust for power and glory. And how he took all the funds meant for the welfare

of the Roman citizens and diverted them to build great palaces and gardens for himself. He was the emperor when

Paul was in prison in Rome and later, when Rome burned, blamed the fire on the Christians and used it as a excuse

persecute them. The documentary showed he was followed by Vespasian as emperor. He is the one who sent Titus

to subdue the rebellion in Jerusalem and as we know, destroyed Jerusalem in 70 C.E. Now one thing I didn't know

was brought out in this video. was the Jews he took captive with the sack of Jerusalem were put to slave labor build-

ing the Coliseum in Rome. Considering what role the Coliseum would later play in history I find that to a fascinating

bit of historical trivia.

GStorrs46

My wife and I watched The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, starring and directed by Ben Stiller. It wasn't a conventional comedy, though it did have comedic moments, but a moving love story. I didn't notice any foul language at all and there was no sex or nudity, nor violence that I remember.

It wasn't brilliant, but certainly was enjoyable.

A few weeks ago I read the short story by James Thurber, and the read it aloud to my wife. It is very short, and I am amazed that it has spawned 2 movies (neither of which is based on the story, except in the essence of the daydreaming character).

I saw Frozen yesterday at a friend's house and even though it's gotten a lot of hype and praise, it's certainly not the best Disney movie since The Lion King and a little average and just cute. Even the songs were just normal and didn't feel like Disney songs, but the songs are getting a lot of praise too for some reason (especially Let It Go by Idina Menzel). It was a good movie for young kids though, nothing in it I would worry about except maybe the magic element with the powers Elsa has and the troll things.

My wife and I watched The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, starring and directed by Ben Stiller. It wasn't a conventional comedy, though it did have comedic moments, but a moving love story. I didn't notice any foul language at all and there was no sex or nudity, nor violence that I remember.

It wasn't brilliant, but certainly was enjoyable.

A few weeks ago I read the short story by James Thurber, and the read it aloud to my wife. It is very short, and I am amazed that it has spawned 2 movies (neither of which is based on the story, except in the essence of the daydreaming character).

The secret life of Walter Mitty was very nice. I was telling my wife we will go in Greenland and Iceland in Paradise. It was superb.

Netflix has the Book of Daniel. With the exception that Daniel never once speaks God's name or that he messes up on interpreting Nebuchadnezzar's statue dream -- specifically merging the iron legs and clay / iron feet into one kingdom -- it's a really well made film.

Edited by SacramentoBrother

Watched "Fantastic Mr Fox" - and loved it!  I have a thing for Wes Anderson movies, although sometimes there is too much swearing or brief moments I would rather were not there.  Recently watched "Rushmore", "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" (a lot of swearing!) and "Moonrise Kingdom" and enjoyed them.  Mr Fox was wonderful (all swearing was the word 'cuss').

The cast in these films is wonderful.  Fox has the voices of George Clooney and Meryl Streep, Bill Murray, Michael Gambon, Willem Dafoe etc.

Moonrise Kingdom has Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Harvey Keitel, Bruce Willis etc. 

Highly recommend Fantastic Mr Fox.

post-166-0-05235900-1396796697.gif

I'm by myself - literally 24/7 due to a variety of reasons. By nature, I am not a movie hound. But, because of my situation, I have to find something to do with all the empty hours. I need to figure out how to RELAX, I can't seem to be able to do that, ever. Have you watched any good (appropriate) movies lately?

It is becoming so difficult to find anything in these wicked times - seems like it's all bad.

Also, we are not to watch rated R movies and yet I along with other sisters, are finding that some of the R rated movies are FAR FAR CLEANER than most PG and PG13 rated titles. Could Satan be behind this trickery? Often a movie will get an R rating only because of the subject matter. I am now frequently using the website IMSD Website because it lists EVERY detail of a movie's content so you can KNOW BEFOREHAND every detail of a movie's content and, what to expect. I highly recommend it to all of you.

I watch TV only when we have bad weather - but, I would like to open my horizon's here as well - any TV shows you like?

I have NetFlix and also have access to Amazon movies. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :wave:

To Lori, who started this thread - Who & Where are you? .... you haven't posted since Jan. of last year, hope your situation isn't that bad - stop around and see us sometime.

• 2 weeks later...