JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Serena Williams baptised

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 490 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

TBH - I hope the Ramapo brothers will conduct interviews with various famous resurrected folks, put them on video and dispense to the greater population so that they won't have to tell their story fifty-million times.  That's one good thing I see about the news/videos about "famous" folks today getting baptized - it's all out there and they don't have to talk about it themselves all day long.

5 hours ago, Pink Butterflies said:

No different than others who come out of the world or where raised an left. Just happy to see anyone make a dedication to Jehovah. The fact she a public figure is even better because it puts light ultimately on Jehovah. Also she reach / preach people us ordinary folks would never have access to. 

I'm glad you mentioned this.  It is the first thing I thought.  So many celebrities are forced to put up a wall of protection even from their fans.  Many become crazy stalkers or some want to own a piece of them like a piece of their clothing.  Many celebrities have to hire body guards for themselves and their families.  

When someone is sheltered like that it is almost impossible for us to reach them. (although I'm curious whether the letter writing did better) Not only does our new sister have access to people, perhaps some of her fans will now take a closer look at her spiritual life. I would think that any well adjusted celebrity knows how to keep their private life separate from their public life but perhaps she will capitalize on her situation to give a witness.

That would most likely be the case - be it "in-person" and/or "letter writing" and/or "phone witnessing"

Several commented that they did not recognize her in the photo of her baptism. Since her name is Serena Jameka Williams Ohanian - if she introduced herself as Jameka Ohanian at the door, many may not recognize her, especially since she would not be wearing a tennis outfit.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

12 minutes ago, Leonard Match Valid said:

On the link it says it is the "Friends of Peace" Assembly

I don't remember that assembly this year

Did I miss something?:confused:

That is the 2022/2023 Circuit Assembly w/Branch Rep.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=ca-brpgm23&srcid=share

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Good Morning Brother Leonard,

The Friends of Peace is a circuit assembly. They began last year and are continuing into this year. We haven't had ours' yet. It will be on February 18th.

My wife & I are eagerly awaiting to be with our brothers and sisters at Jehovah's bountiful table.

Our love to you and yours.

Lisa & John

Edited by Dages

On 1/9/2023 at 5:35 PM, Hope said:

TBH - I hope the Ramapo brothers will conduct interviews with various famous resurrected folks, put them on video and dispense to the greater population so that they won't have to tell their story fifty-million times.  That's one good thing I see about the news/videos about "famous" folks today getting baptized - it's all out there and they don't have to talk about it themselves all day long.

Yeah, after JW Broadcasting came out, I imagined in the New World that we would have interviews with various Bible characters and they would give their experience and answer many questions. That would be amazing because we would have our questions answered and be able to put a face to the Bible characters we’ve become so acquainted with 😊

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I think we are beyond the question of whether the rumors are true.  But the one of the International Business magazines had an article (including detracting comments) and the Newsweek had an article as well.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-serena-williams-said-about-being-jehovahs-witness-1773017

Knowing that she wasn't baptized before now helps us appreciate that when we hear that someone says they are one of Jehovah's Witnesses or raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, that it doesn't mean they are baptized.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D