JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Doomsday Clock reset

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 439 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

With all the North Korean missile launching, and Putin's paranoia and war mongering, I would guess the clock's movent would be 

FORWARD

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Spellwreck

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

7 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

It was reset to 100 seconds to midnight in 2020.  Wasn't moved during the pandemic.

Forwards or backwards this time?

To: Leaders and citizens of the world

Re: At doom’s doorstep: It is 100 seconds to midnight

Date: January 20,2022

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

"The clock's original setting in 1947 was seven minutes to midnight. It has since been set backward eight times and forward 16 times for a total of 24, the farthest from midnight being 17 minutes in 1991, and the nearest being 100 seconds, from 2020 to the present."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#:~:text=The clock's original setting in,from 2020 to the present.

image.thumb.png.4c68cd53436d196d5474103d68243d0e.png

8 hours ago, Shawnster said:

To: Leaders and citizens of the world

Re: At doom’s doorstep: It is 100 seconds to midnight

Date: January 20,2022

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

"The clock's original setting in 1947 was seven minutes to midnight. It has since been set backward eight times and forward 16 times for a total of 24, the farthest from midnight being 17 minutes in 1991, and the nearest being 100 seconds, from 2020 to the present."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#:~:text=The clock's original setting in,from 2020 to the present.

image.thumb.png.4c68cd53436d196d5474103d68243d0e.png

That announcement was made in 2022 but it wasn't reset at that time.

It was set to 100 seconds to midnight in 2020, as shown in your quote above, and it hasn't moved since then.

This is the first time it has been reset in 3 years.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Where does it say the clock will reset?

Welllllll. I suppose you are right. The site just says 'The 2023 Doomsday Clock announcement' which is a way of grabbing attention for themselves. They may keep it the same. The site is more about how they feel about the threat, not about the threat itself. They can't read the russian leader's mind. It's not the role of scientists to delve into politics.

Percy

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

I expect it will change because of the war in Ukraine 

Because they traditionally meet and consider the clock the same time every year, didn't they consider the massing of troops along the border? When was that exactly?

There is a movie later in the year about Robert Oppenheimer, the Father of the Bomb, as he is called. During the McCarthy era he was removed from any nuclear research because he was considered to have communist leanings. I think he just had guilt about unleashing the power of the atom to be used for destructive purposes and that was misconstrued as unpatriotic. Sigh.

12 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Where does it say the clock will reset?  They make an announcement every year at this time. 

It probably will change, but I don't see where this is stated. 

I was going on the OP's statement. But you're right, it doesn't actually state that in the article. Sorry. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it changes, though, with all the doom and gloom out there.  They don't have anything to look forward to like us.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

It was known well enough in advance that soldiers were massed on the border. They were fools not to think the Russians weren't going to invade after 2014 and the capture of Crimea. "In March 2021, Russia began a military build-up, amassing up to 190,000 soldiers at Ukraine's borders. Russian government officials denied plans to attack Ukraine until the day before the invasion."

2 hours ago, Percy said:

It was known well enough in advance that soldiers were massed on the border. They were fools not to think the Russians weren't going to invade after 2014 and the capture of Crimea. "In March 2021, Russia began a military build-up, amassing up to 190,000 soldiers at Ukraine's borders. Russian government officials denied plans to attack Ukraine until the day before the invasion."

Perhaps because we were in the middle of the pandemic at that time, they were confused and thought it best just to leave it as it was. It's closer now than it's ever been and it was set to that before both the pandemic and the war. As you said in an earlier comment, it is more about how they feel about the threat than the threat itself, so maybe they were so concerned about where the world was headed, they felt it best not to touch it.

I wonder what they will do with it when religion is destroyed and the GT starts.

43 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Perhaps because we were in the middle of the pandemic at that time, they were confused and thought it best just to leave it as it was. It's closer now than it's ever been and it was set to that before both the pandemic and the war. As you said in an earlier comment, it is more about how they feel about the threat than the threat itself, so maybe they were so concerned about where the world was headed, they felt it best not to touch it.

I wonder what they will do with it when religion is destroyed and the GT starts.

Maybe one of the “proclamation” of the peace and security could come in a form of the Doomsday Clock being significantly set back in time. The last time the clock was set back ever was in 2010, but that was only a minute. In 1991, the time was set backwards 7 minutes, with the decommission of USSR.

5 hours ago, Hinata said:

In 1991, the time was set backwards 7 minutes, with the decommission of USSR.

And I thought that was a significant setback, but peace and security wasn't at hand. 

The clock reflects the opinions of a group of people.  So I expect peace and security will come first, then the clock will reset back to reflect the feeling of peace and security these people have. 

11 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

it is more about how they feel about the threat than the threat itself, so maybe they were so concerned about where the world was headed, they felt it best not to touch it.

Yes, they don't want to start a riot or mass suicide like the movie 'On The Beach'. This dates me for sure as I saw it as a kid. https://archive.org/details/on-the-beach

I suppose the Clock is really an 'Anxiety Meter'.

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

but peace and security wasn't at hand. 

Here was a sort of Peace and Security agreement that was signed in 1933. https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/2016-07-20/ty-article/1933-vatican-nazi-germany-sign-an-agreement/0000017f-e5d3-df2c-a1ff-ffd3163c0000

Boy did it backfire!!!

A german brother here, who survived the war, (now 97) told me it resulted in the church receiving a church 'tax' from everybody in Germany of 6%. It is still in effect! Any announcement of Peace and Security will be in name only as 'sudden destruction will instantly befall them'.

3 hours ago, Dages said:

I totally expect it to be at 59min

99 seconds?? Maybe they should change it weekly instead of yearly. Things are happening so fast that once a year is not enough. That will increase the anxiety level!!