JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Virus alert on my computer from Microsoft

I am getting a virus alert for a trojan virus on my computer, telling me not to use the computer or restart it. It says it is coming from Microsoft and that I should contact them for help to remove it. There are other options to Deny or Accept, et but I'm afraid to click on anything that might send me to the wrong place if it is a scam. I did turn off the computer and started it up again and am using it but the warning is still there on the screen in large red letters.

Is this a scam and should I delete it and how do I do that because when I click on the X to close it, it doesn't close. I'm afraid selecting any other options is what they want me to do. I think it must be a scam but how do I back out of it without making it worse.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

14 minutes ago, Dove said:

Is this a scam and should I delete it and how do I do that because when I click on the X to close it, it doesn't close. I'm afraid selecting any other options is what they want me to do. I think it must be a scam but how do I back out of it without making it worse.

Try running your anti virus software to check your system.

1 hour ago, MullumMiss said:

Try running your anti virus software to check your system.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the short scan and it said there was no threat. So I ran the full scan and the results were the same. So it seems that the computer is not infected..so how do I remove this alert without getting  infected

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

6 hours ago, Dove said:

use Google first too

https://cybernews.com/malware/how-to-remove-a-trojan-spyware-alert/#:~:text=What is a Trojan spyware,provided to resolve the issue.

The Trojan spyware alert is a variant of the technical support scam that pretends to be from Microsoft or Apple. It aims to trick users into thinking their computer has been infected with a virus and tries to scare them into calling a number provided to resolve the issue.

I read once that one of the signs that your computer may be infected with a virus is that when you click on a link you will be directed to a different website, and that has been happening every so often for a while. So I was confused whether this alert was real or not. But my Windows Defender Virus scan says the pc is not infected so I guess it was. Just don't know why I'm having the other problems. But I will google it some more.

Very easy way to know if it is virus (or any other malicious code):

If you get a pop up message asking to contact someone to remove a virus, even if there are no other options to select, it itself is the virus.

Any good antivirus software would have neutralised it before you would recieve that the message from that malicious program.

Feel free to use this free online scanner. I use this provider's paid software for my personal devices and at work we use this as well, but a business version.

https://www.eset.com/int/home/online-scanner/

Edited by Pabo

2 hours ago, Pabo said:

Very easy way to know if it is virus (or any other malicious code):

If you get a pop up message asking to contact someone to remove a virus, even if there are no other options to select, it itself is the virus.

Any good antivirus software would have neutralised it before you would recieve that the message from that malicious program.

Feel free to use this free online scanner. I use this provider's paid software for my personal devices and at work we use this as well, but a business version.

https://www.eset.com/int/home/online-scanner/

Yes that is what it did. And I know enough not to follow any of the links. I just couldn't get it off my screen. But it's gone now. I downloaded the link you sent for the scanner and did the full scan and it came back with no problems. Thank you very much for the use of it. The antivirus I have is the BitDefender that is built into Windows 10, which is also anti-malware so I don't know how this phishing program got through. I also installed Malwarebytes at Lucy's suggestion but I don't know if I should have them both at the same time.

2 hours ago, Dove said:

Yes that is what it did. And I know enough not to follow any of the links. I just couldn't get it off my screen. But it's gone now. I downloaded the link you sent for the scanner and did the full scan and it came back with no problems. Thank you very much for the use of it. The antivirus I have is the BitDefender that is built into Windows 10, which is also anti-malware so I don't know how this phishing program got through. I also installed Malwarebytes at Lucy's suggestion but I don't know if I should have them both at the same time.

I get those every now and then.  After the initial shock I turn my computer off for 30 second and when I turn it back on all

is OK

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

41 minutes ago, Old said:

I get those every now and then.  After the initial shock I turn my computer off for 30 second and when I turn it back on all

is OK

Maybe that's why they tell you not turn your computer off...🙂

Several months ago, my screen froze and lit up in the blue color that Windows 10 uses.  It had a red border that was flashing.  The message told me that my computer was hacked nd that I needed to immediately go the the Microsoft website shown on the page for technical assistance.  It warned me not to turn off the computer or run any anti-virus programs because it would permanently harm my device.

I turned the system off and ran 3 different anti-virus program that I have, Norton, Malwarebytes and Window Defender.  The system booted normally the antivirus apps did their duty and all was well. I ran a couple of registry scans (with Command Prompt SFC and Iolo System Mechanic).  No problems this time.  There is always tomorrow...😀

5 hours ago, Old said:

is OK

Usually just an ad, you can shut down your browser through task manager and that usually fixes it. Best thing to stop those is to get an ad blocker.

5 hours ago, Sheep said:

I am constantly getting emails from "McAfee" telling me my subscription is running out and my computer is in danger... Okay, it's not the same thing. I don't have a subscription to McAfee anyway.

I got email that your McAffee subscription is running out shortly! 

Better check it out! LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 4/14/2023 at 1:07 PM, Dove said:

I am getting a virus alert for a trojan virus on my computer, telling me not to use the computer or restart it. It says it is coming from Microsoft and that I should contact them for help to remove it. There are other options to Deny or Accept, et but I'm afraid to click on anything that might send me to the wrong place if it is a scam. I did turn off the computer and started it up again and am using it but the warning is still there on the screen in large red letters.

I got the same thing.  It is just a scam.  They want you to call their phone number so they can trick you into giving them access to your computer.  It happened to me when I was looking up a local theater that I later found out closed permanently during the pandemic.  When I clicked on their website, I got the message.

All I did was restart my computer and everything was OK.

I posted about this on another topic.  If you do happen to call the number (not recommended), don't click on anything they tell you to click on.  It will probably open a "backdoor" to your computer that they can use later on.

They can claim to be Microsoft or some other legitimate company/

Edited by Witness1970