JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Salt Substitutes?

Sugar is not in Kosher salt, non-iodized table salt, or any other salt that does not need it to keep potassium iodide from oxidizing

The interesting thing is the amount of sugar added to salt is so small that "The amount is small enough to be dietetically insignificant".

https://twitter.com/windsorsalt/status/1017045791880482817?lang=en

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 5/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Amygdala said:

I find tumeric gives a little bit of a salty flavour to my meals, so I use it quite regularly. I also use a variety of spices like wild garlic or herbs that enhance meals. Sometimes adding in a little bit of lemon juice gives foods that extra kick.

I like the flavor combo of lemon juice and nutritional yeast. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

I like the flavor combo of lemon juice and nutritional yeast. 

Great minds think alike! 😁 I like how nutritional yeast gives a kind of cheesy flavour while giving a boost of vitamin B12’s and other vitamins, minerals and amino acids. I sprinkle it often on our foods. 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

21 hours ago, jwmom said:

Mostly in my ankles, knees and hands. 

Those swellings are not good signs physiologically,I will advise that you schedule a visit with your GP for medical examination and proper counselling.

Those swellings are not good signs physiologically,I will advise that you schedule a visit with your GP for medical examination and proper counselling.

i have 6-7 versions of Mrs Dash in my cupboard .... salt substitutes

they provide some flavor and helped me decrease my salt intake

also seriously cut down lunch meats and foods that are salt heavy

I also got rid of some of the 'mixed BBQ or hamburger seasonings

(most mixed seasonings have a lot of salt) - so read the ingredients

still break down and get some french fries every other week....🤣

I like to blend dry seasonings to get a flavor profile I enjoy. I do include salt but, by making my own blends, I can control the amount of salt I put in them.

1 hour ago, DarinS said:

i have 6-7 versions of Mrs Dash in my cupboard .... salt substitutes

they provide some flavor and helped me decrease my salt intake

also seriously cut down lunch meats and foods that are salt heavy

I also got rid of some of the 'mixed BBQ or hamburger seasonings

(most mixed seasonings have a lot of salt) - so read the ingredients

still break down and get some french fries every other week....🤣

I totally understand that. 🙂

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

2 hours ago, DarinS said:

6-7 versions of Mrs Dash

Flavors include- Original, Chicken, Steak, Garlic & Herb, Fiesta Lime, Tomato Basil Garlic, Southwest Chipotle, Lemon Pepper, Onion & Herb, Italian Medley, Extra Spicy, and Table Blend. Ms Dash no salt seasoning allows you to quickly add flavor to your favorite beef, chicken, vegetables, and more without adding salt.

Spoiler

image.png.f798dd0aee3a18312b21c8c894389dc4.png

Edited by Imagine

On 5/3/2023 at 11:15 AM, jwmom said:

I am trying to do better.  I am not a sweet eater but I love chips, crackers, olives.  All loaded with salt and I notice I swell when I eat them.  Any ideas on a good spice or combination of spices that might be better?

Salt is not the problem....

I am very concerned for you.  Have you had your kidneys tested recently???  It sounds like they are in trouble.  I don't care what age you are...there isn't an age where you should start avoiding salt.  Salt is very important for your health, especially the kind that contains iodine.

Rather, you should be focused on seeing what's up with your kidneys.  If they are in disfunction, then you need to do 2 things:

1. Detox

2. Increase cellular energy (so they can repair).

Don't start any more drugs (as they can be harsh on both kidneys & liver).  Don't let the doctors put you on any more medicine (unless they say you are in a LIFE THREATENING situation).  But definitely check your kidney function and then report back here for tips on how to do those 2 things.

BTW - Don't accept what the doctors say!!!  If they say "they're normal"....refuse that!  Ask them for your blood work.  Get the raw numbers!!  Your could be in stage 2 dysfunction and they'll say "it's normal".  8-)

Edited by computerwiz

On 5/3/2023 at 11:15 AM, jwmom said:

I am trying to do better.  I am not a sweet eater but I love chips, crackers, olives.  All loaded with salt and I notice I swell when I eat them.  Any ideas on a good spice or combination of spices that might be better?

You can try also add some lemon juice to your meals, like a dressing. It's very nice and healthy.

3 minutes ago, Donna said:

You can try also add some lemon juice to your meals, like a dressing. It's very nice and healthy.

So also coconut oil, and apple cider and balsamic vinegars. Coconut oil on hot veggies tastes like butter. I also add it to soup.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

4 minutes ago, Dove said:

So also coconut oil, and apple cider and balsamic vinegars. Coconut oil on hot veggies tastes like butter. I also add it to soup.

Never would have thought of that..Thanks. :-)

3 hours ago, Exter said:

all fruits esp. sour ones, are healthy!

Well........ in moderation.

When I was little boy I climbed up in my grandpa's cherry tree and stayed awhile. And ate awhile.

It wasn't healthy.

And in those days we used an outhouse, cause we didn't have any technology.

I loved those days Old Fashioned Comedy GIF by CBS

I have a list of foods I should eat and a list I should not eat ... there are a number of fruits on the "Do Not Eat" list due to the amount of sugar they contain.

6 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I have a list of foods I should eat and a list I should not eat ... there are a number of fruits on the "Do Not Eat" list due to the amount of sugar they contain.

I like fruit alright but I don't love it.  So it's not hard to stay from the sugar in that.

I like green grapes - they are on my "Be Careful" list due the sugar content