JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

When could I stop wearing suits? I'm getting fat.

2 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

You have wear a suit jacket when giving talks or perhaps holding microphones too

Not in all cultures though,

Bro. Geoffrey Jackson, when he released the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures in Tzotzil, wore a Jerkil, a traditional Tzotzil vest made of wool, not a suit jacket. The principle is dress that the brothers culturally find respectful and dignified.

His picture is in the link below:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/mexico/new-testament-in-tzotzil/

“It’s not a matter of how much we know, but how much we love what we know.”

1 hour ago, Friend of Peace said:

Not in all cultures though,

Bro. Geoffrey Jackson, when he released the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures in Tzotzil, wore a Jerkil, a traditional Tzotzil vest made of wool, not a suit jacket. The principle is dress that the brothers culturally find respectful and dignified.

His picture is in the link below:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/mexico/new-testament-in-tzotzil/

I was giving the basics. Like we should not wear tennis shoes in the ministry, yet I do because of health reasons. The list can go on. 

We had an elder in our congregation who used to wear dress slippers after he had both kneecaps removed - harder sole made it so he couldn't walk.

He was able to eventually wear shoes that had gum-rubber soles, but he had trouble finding dress shoes made that way and would have to take brand new shoes to the shoe repair and have the soles replaced before he could wear them.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 9/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, Hotteok said:

Please don't tell me these are the outfit for the new world too..

In the new world I'll walk in those clothes that the apostles are portrayed in.. They look pretty comfortable in the drawings.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

6 hours ago, Girl81 said:

I wonder if we'll return to nudity when perfect?  It seems like that was the original plan.

In Genesis 3:7 their eyes were opened, and in Gen 3:22 Jehovah doesn't let them eat the tree of life. I'm not sure, but I believe that Jehovah wouldn't create two merely symbolic trees for nothing. So much so that only after they sinned, in Gen 4 Adam and Eve had relations. I imagine that perhaps Jehovah would allow them to eat from both trees, but they failed, what can we do? It's part of the game. Anyway, I imagine that even after 1000 years we'll wear clothes. It's very comfortable.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

I went to translate what I had written in Portuguese and maybe my comment doesn't make much sense.
In short: I think so, they only got dressed after eating the fruit, just as they only had intercourse after that, I imagine that by Jehovah's purpose they would eat both trees, and in that case, they would wear clothes.

Just thinking out loud here....At that time there were only 2 people, the husband and wife. But had they not sinned- once they had children perhaps they would have covered themselves up in the present of others.  I like to think that would have been the case. Personally I do not think we will all be  walking around naked in the new world (hopeful thinking, I don't know, maybe) but guess we will just have to be there to know for sure. 

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

18 hours ago, Ms. Piffle said:

But had they not sinned- once they had children perhaps they would have covered themselves up in the present of others.  I like to think that would have been the case.

The only time they felt the need to cover themselves was when they sinned, because their eyes were opened to the fact that sin now was distorting how they viewed each other in that state, a sordid way rather than one that reflected their Father’s view of them, a pure and innocent one. (Gen. 3:7)

Just think, what would have happened if sin had never entered the picture to soil their base passions?

Love throws out fear, but they showed they lacked love for God by disobeying him, so fear came upon them and caused a restraint and made them cover their bodies and hide from Jehovah. Thus they tried to escape from the condemnation of their consciences and from the pronouncement of the penalty for disobeying Jehovah. (1 John 4:18) 

What happens in the future as regards modesty, we will see. Remember though, Jehovah will always be a God of “modesty,” and so he’ll expect that of his servants for all time, whatever form that takes in the new world. (Micah 6:8) 

Edited by Friend of Peace

“It’s not a matter of how much we know, but how much we love what we know.”

On 9/6/2023 at 3:30 AM, Girl81 said:

I wonder if we'll return to nudity when perfect?  It seems like that was the original plan.

It's the only way to get the amount of Vitamin D & other nutrients from the sun that we need, as Jehovah intended & designed us.

image.png.6418284db7738f3eab4c9707aacd3e61.png

I do think we will have clothes for special occasions, like our meetings.  And we don't have to worry about how we look now...we'll have perfect bodies in the new world.

1 Timothy 4:4 - For every creation of God is fine, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving

There are many tribes on this earth that wear little to no clothing.  When it is a normal, every day occurrence, there is nothing special about it.  Not a big deal.  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Friend of Peace said:

The only time they felt the need to cover themselves was when they sinned, because their eyes were opened to the fact that sin now was distorting how they viewed each other in that state, a sordid way rather than one that reflected their Father’s view of them, a pure and innocent one. (Gen. 3:7)

Just think, what would have happened if sin had never entered the picture to soil their base passions?

Love throws out fear, but they showed they lacked love for God by disobeying him, so fear came upon them and caused a restraint and made them cover their bodies and hide from Jehovah. Thus they tried to escape from the condemnation of their consciences and from the pronouncement of the penalty for disobeying Jehovah. (1 John 4:18) 

What happens in the future as regards modesty, we will see. Remember though, Jehovah will always be a God of “modesty,” and so he’ll expect that of his servants for all time, whatever form that takes in the new world. (Micah 6:8) 

True, the only time they felt the need to cover themselves was when they sinned but as you said, Jehovah will always be a God of modesty, so it's anybody guess as to whether Jehovah would have had them cover themselves as children were born and the population grew.  We really don't know.  But what we do know is whatever Jehovah decides, it will be the right and perfect decision.  We just have to be there to find out.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

2 hours ago, computerwiz said:

It's the only way to get the amount of Vitamin D & other nutrients from the sun that we need, as Jehovah intended & designed us.

image.png.6418284db7738f3eab4c9707aacd3e61.png

I do think we will have clothes for special occasions, like our meetings.  And we don't have to worry about how we look now...we'll have perfect bodies in the new world.

1 Timothy 4:4 - For every creation of God is fine, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving

There are many tribes on this earth that wear little to no clothing.  When it is a normal, every day occurrence, there is nothing special about it.  Not a big deal.  🤷‍♂️

This is the same exact thing I was thinking (vitamin D). I heard humans get most of it through their chest with it being exposed to the sunlight but can’t remember where I read that. This is also why wearing sunglasses can block vitamin D because you also get it through your eyes.

I’m torn on whether we’ll wear clothes or not. For one thing nudity to me seems to have a sacredness to it. It doesn’t seem proper for another man to be able to see your wife’s nude body. Even if he has no sexual feelings towards her. It seems that should be for you to see only. Or maybe I just feel that way because I’m imperfect. Then there’s the tenderness of the human foot, with the weight of the human body on top of it. Sometimes I think the human foot is too tender to walk around barefoot all the time, especially when you compare it to animal hooves and paws.

But on the other hand… clothes seem to have no purpose at all if the weather will be perfect in the new world. Also, I’ve read online that people who stoped wearing shoes and walked barefoot reported muscle growth in their legs and that many people who wear shoes have underdeveloped legs. 
Also, Jehovah didn’t create animals to wear clothes.
But the biggest reason I think we could be nude in the New World is the whole vitamin D thing.

At the end of the day, I don’t know but I’m sure we’ll be happy whatever Jehovah decides 😊

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 2 months later...