JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Explosion at Convention in India

Kerala Govt announces Rs five lakh assistance to kin of blast victims

The cabinet that met here on Wednesday decided to allocate the amount from the CM's Distress Relief Fund. The government will also bear the treatment expenses of those injured in the incident.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/2023/nov/15/kerala-govt-announces-rs-five-lakh-assistance-to-kin-of-blast-victims-2633096.html

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

It was noted in the news article cited earlier that Rahul, the 21-year-old brother of Praveen, has recovered and was discharged from hospital.

What is really sad about this tragedy is that half of the victims are from the same family! The surviving family members are going to need our prayers! Please!

We have no doubt that Jehovah is seeing what his people are suffering, and will soon put an end to these losses.

Edited by Sheep

4 minutes ago, truce said:

Yes, I have wondered about this myself, seeing that no mention has been made so far about a husband/father.

There is no mention of him. So we don't know. No need to speculate on that.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

12 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Was there a husband/father ?

Yes, according to newspaper reports.

There was a major full-page 2,100-word article in The Hindu newspaper the other weekend that used 12-year-old's Libina's family as the 'story arc'. (Saturday 4 November 2023, page 7).

Sadly, since this article was written two-weeks ago, both Libina's mother and older brother have died from their injuries sustained from the blast.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/killed-in-prayer/article67494499.ece

image.thumb.png.f03b518efa53b072d8ce8fc5492989d1.png

4 hours ago, Arumuga Raja said:

IMG-20231118-WA0013.thumb.jpg.5e5189453bffee698bac30f0878ca8b0.jpg

The fact that three members of the same family are victims of this blast is the most painful thing

Thanks for adding this detail. It is sad that when someone asks for some information, others might take it to mean they simply want to speculate. We should learn to trust our brothers' motives. 

43 minutes ago, truce said:

Thanks for adding this detail. It is sad that when someone asks for some information, others might take it to mean they simply want to speculate. We should learn to trust our brothers' motives. 

I think it was a good-faith reminder not to theorize - we all know the comments section has gone into speculation before - no need to take offense. If anyone can find an article on the father, I know no one would take offense. 

Proverbs 22:3 "The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself, But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences."

On 11/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, LeolaRootStew said:

I think it was a good-faith reminder not to theorize - we all know the comments section has gone into speculation before - no need to take offense. If anyone can find an article on the father, I know no one would take offense. 

Proverbs 22:3 "The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself, But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences."

Thank you, it was meant indeed as a "Let's wait until we get more info!"

Kalamassery blasts: Jehovah's Witnesses pledge to use enhanced security measures for future meetings ......

"At the moment for all our regional conventions across India, we have included door scanners, baggage scanners and metal detectors," Joseph said.......

Read more at: https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/kerala/jehovah-s-witnesses-pledge-to-use-enhanced-security-measures-for-future-gatherings-1.9091348

23 minutes ago, SOCHU said:

Kalamassery blasts: Jehovah's Witnesses pledge to use enhanced security measures for future meetings ......

"At the moment for all our regional conventions across India, we have included door scanners, baggage scanners and metal detectors," Joseph said.......

Read more at: https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/kerala/jehovah-s-witnesses-pledge-to-use-enhanced-security-measures-for-future-gatherings-1.9091348

The next sentence in that article says "We have also hired private security agencies. They will deploy armed security guards," he added......."

Is this a first time for the use of third party armed guards?

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

29 minutes ago, SOCHU said:

"At the moment for all our regional conventions across India, we have included door scanners, baggage scanners and metal detectors," Joseph said

Interesting that they also quote Satish Joseph, described as a staff member of the Public Information Department at the national headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Bengaluru, as adding that:

"We have also hired private security agencies. They will deploy armed security guards."

Interesting to see the comment in the Watchtower 15 December 1998, page 22:

"God’s people have ‘beaten their swords into plowshares’ and do not buy guns to protect themselves from robbery or assault. What about arranging for armed security guards? While this would be a matter for personal decision, remember that such an arrangement puts the gun in the hands of someone else. What would an employer expect of the guards if a robber came along? Would he expect the guards to shoot the thief if necessary to protect the people and possessions that were being guarded?"
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1998924#h=10-11

Edited by Parale

19 minutes ago, Parale said:

Interesting that they also quote Satish Joseph, described as a staff member of the Public Information Department at the national headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Bengaluru, as adding that:

"We have also hired private security agencies. They will deploy armed security guards."

Interesting to see the comment in the Watchtower 15 December 1998, page 22:

"God’s people have ‘beaten their swords into plowshares’ and do not buy guns to protect themselves from robbery or assault. What about arranging for armed security guards? While this would be a matter for personal decision, remember that such an arrangement puts the gun in the hands of someone else. What would an employer expect of the guards if a robber came along? Would he expect the guards to shoot the thief if necessary to protect the people and possessions that were being guarded?"

I wonder if there will be a change for our assemblies and conventions moving forward. 

2 hours ago, SOCHU said:

Satish Joseph, a staff member of the Public Information Department at the national headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Bengaluru… also expressed suspicion that there could be "more than one (accused)".

Well that’s pretty unsettling. 

I can imagine that authorities who keep order are armed. At the 2015 Special Convention in Sweden, there was one police officer who had a loaded hand piece. 

But I never heard before that the society "hires armed security". 

This confuses me greatly. But I guess we will hear more from the Brothers at headquarters, about future arrangements.

So until then, I won't speculate or voice an opinion. Let's wait and see.

49 minutes ago, truce said:

Why is this an issue?

Because I understand there is a distinction between hiring a private security agency for the purpose that they will deploy private armed guards on your behalf (which appears, in principle, to be the situation Satish Joseph says the Bethel will do in India, as is being reported) ..... compared to a Christian who seeks and receives the protection of law-enforcement police officer/s who are armed (which appears, in principle, to be the situation described above by @Rodejong in Sweden).

Watchtower 15 December 1998, page 22

What about arranging for armed security guards? While this would be a matter for personal decision, remember that such an arrangement puts the gun in the hands of someone else. What would an employer expect of the guards if a robber came along? Would he expect the guards to shoot the thief if necessary to protect the people and possessions that were being guarded?

Watchtower 15 July 1983, page 31

QfR: Since a brother who continues in armed employment would not be regarded as exemplary, would it be wrong for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to seek the protection of armed law-enforcement officers?

Mature Christians are admonished to avoid employment that requires them to carry a firearm (the modern equivalent of “the sword”). However, this does not mean that they could not seek and receive the protection of armed police officers.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1983530

Edited by Parale

10 hours ago, Parale said:

Because I understand there is a distinction between hiring a private security agency for the purpose that they will deploy private armed guards on your behalf (which appears, in principle, to be the situation Satish Joseph says the Bethel will do in India, as is being reported) ..... compared to a Christian who seeks and receives the protection of law-enforcement police officer/s who are armed (which appears, in principle, to be the situation described above by @Rodejong in Sweden).

Watchtower 15 December 1998, page 22

What about arranging for armed security guards? While this would be a matter for personal decision, remember that such an arrangement puts the gun in the hands of someone else. What would an employer expect of the guards if a robber came along? Would he expect the guards to shoot the thief if necessary to protect the people and possessions that were being guarded?

Watchtower 15 July 1983, page 31

QfR: Since a brother who continues in armed employment would not be regarded as exemplary, would it be wrong for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to seek the protection of armed law-enforcement officers?

Mature Christians are admonished to avoid employment that requires them to carry a firearm (the modern equivalent of “the sword”). However, this does not mean that they could not seek and receive the protection of armed police officers.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1983530

Thanks for that.

16 hours ago, Parale said:

Context is very different. That 1989 Awake! discusses using armed guards to stop a thief. Life, even that of a thief, is more important than any property he might steal.

Yet now we are not discussing thieves but terrorists who come to the assembly to throw bombs and murder as many of our brothers and sisters as possible. In this case it would be perfectly justified for those guards to use their weapons to stop the attack.

19 hours ago, carlos said:

Context is very different. That 1989 Awake! discusses using armed guards to stop a thief. Life, even that of a thief, is more important than any property he might steal.

Yet now we are not discussing thieves but terrorists who come to the assembly to throw bombs and murder as many of our brothers and sisters as possible. In this case it would be perfectly justified for those guards to use their weapons to stop the attack.

Which is why I earlier asked: Why is this an issue?

I thought this would be a walk-over but it is obvious that we have different consciences sensing and responding differently.