JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The real speed of time?

Hotteok

Could there be such a thing as the real speed of time? 

I mean, we humans can sense time with seconds, minutes and hours but

this speed is determined by how fast Earth rotates and moves along with Sun that is moving at the speed of 200/km per sec.

Somewhere in the universe, there are places where one minute is passed, and way more time would've been passed on Earth. 

So it's all relative. 

I came to wonder this because Earth is so small but Jehovah put everything that humans could ever experience and enjoy forever.

Jehovah is like the boss of efficiency. It's like nano tech of humans.. So small but perfectly functioning. 

I came to think if Jehovah was able to put eternity into a fraction of Jehovah's time..the real time.

Edited by Hotteok

On 10/31/2023 at 4:41 AM, Hotteok said:

this speed is determined by how fast Earth rotates and moves along with Sun that is moving at the speed of 200/km per sec.

Somewhere in the universe, there are places where one minute is passed, and way more time would've been passed on Earth. 

So it's all relative. 

I came to wonder this because Earth is so small but Jehovah put everything that humans could ever experience and enjoy forever.

Jehovah is like the boss of efficiency. It's like nano tech of humans.. So small but perfectly functioning. 

I came to think if Jehovah was able to put eternity into a fraction of Jehovah's time..the real time.

Tim, there is no set speed of time. Time is relative. That means whatever time you are experiencing is real to you.   That doesn’t just mean your clocks are different.   

There’s a well know example of how time dilation works.

Imagine there are two twins: Jim and Jane 

1. Jim stays on Earth.
2. Jane gets on a spaceship and travels at a very high speed (close to the speed of light) to a distant star and then comes back to Earth.

According to Einstein’s theory of relativity, time moves slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. So for Jane who is traveling at a high speed, time would pass more slowly than for Jim who is staying on Earth.

Here’s the interesting part:

When Jane returns from the journey, Jane will be younger than Jim. Even though they were the same age when Jane  left, the high-speed travel caused time to slow down for Jane, resulting in less aging.  (So if you could control time, perhaps you could live forever.)

In a nutshell, the twin paradox illustrates how time can pass at different rates for people who are moving relative to one another. The twin who goes on the high-speed space journey ends up younger than the twin who stays behind. 

That is true just in our 4 dimensional universe....imagine if we had access to the other dimensions which scientist claim exist according to the math. How is time in those dimensions?  

Here’s a weird thought....Scientist say there is mathematical evidence that in another spacial dimension, theoretically a basketball could be  be turned inside out without cutting it open or poking a hole in it.  

This is a complex mathematical concept, and it’s not something we can easily visualize or demonstrate in our three-spacial dimensional world.

But in the world of higher-dimensional geometry, these kinds of transformations are possible. 

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

• 1 month later...

I'm not as qualified to discuss this as @Ferb, but, lately, he's busy creating a program that demonstrates visualizations of 4-dimensional shapes. However, with what I know about time, and like @Pjdriverbrought out, time is relative, and time, may not be a separate entity from space. That's why it tends to be called spacetime. Asking 'What is the speed of time?' is about as meaningful as asking 'What are the dimensions of space?' Time doesn't go at any particular speed. It's all dependent on spatial activity, and something I found really interesting is something known as sidereal time. A day on earth, from the perspective of interstellar space, is different than it is from our perspective. A big part of this is the nature of observation regarding rotational movement. Ultimately, the amount of time that's passed amounts to the same amount of time, but is distributed differently due to how the earth's rotation would look different from outside the solar system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time

It's also interesting to explore the relativity of simultaneity. If you were to tag a speed to the speed of time, it might be the speed of light, because that is about the speed anything can travel in the universe, nothing with mass, of course, but photons. It only happens because outer space is so big, that there are many structures in the universe that are far more vast than the area in which light can travel in a year, and thus, relative simultaneity can become an issue. It's like looking at a photo of a galaxy, and the galaxy is so large, that the light of the farther end of the galaxy is from a time period that differs from the time period of the front end of the galaxy by as much as 100,000 years, depending on which angle the galaxy is photographed. Like the following image demonstrates:
220px-Relativity_of_Simultaneity_Animation.gif

As to how Jehovah views time, despite the fact that the Bible says a day to Jehovah is as 1,000 years, that could very well be just a way of helping humans, with our very limited perception of time to even begin to understand how Jehovah, who has lived for eternity, and may have created time, perceives time in contrast to how we perceive it. I doubt it's something we will ever fully understand, however. 

Edited by Katty

In September 2015, cosmonaut Gennady Padalka returned to Earth for the last time. He just completed his sixth mission in space and broke the record for total time spent outside Earth's atmosphere: 879 days. And because of those 2.5 years spent orbiting the planet at high speeds, Padalka also became a time traveler, testing Einstein's theory of general relativity in action.

“When Mr. Padalka returned, he discovered that the Earth was 1/44 of a second in the future,” explains J. Richard Gott, a Princeton physicist and author of Time Travel in Einstein’s Universe. “He literally traveled... into the future.” " Being a fraction of a second younger than if he had remained on Earth isn't unheard of, but it nonetheless gave Padalka the title of "current time traveler record," according to Gott.

On 10/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, Hotteok said:

So it's all relative. 

speed of time classified into two ways relative and absolute.which one you are seeking.

There are scientific discussions about discrete time vs continuous time... The minimum interval between moments is difficult to calculate/fathom.

We don't know.

An even with this hypothetic minimum physical interval... How many discursive thought can an angel have? And Jehovah? 

We really know so little...

Edited by Dages

4 hours ago, Dumma said:

speed of time classified into two ways relative and absolute.which one you are seeking.

Actually time is just relative, it is not absolute. However, it appears to be absolute to us on earth, but is not. 

In classical physics, as conceptualized notably by Isaac Newton, time was considered to be absolute. This means that it ticks uniformly everywhere in the universe, regardless of the observer's state of motion or position. Think of it as one big universal clock ticking at the same rate for everyone, everywhere.

On the other hand, Albert Einstein’s corrected that concept with his theory of relativity introduced a different concept: relative time. According to this theory, particularly the special and general relativity, the passage of time is relative to the state of motion of the observer.

For example, if you're moving really fast (close to the speed of light), time would actually pass slower for you compared to someone who is stationary. This isn't just theoretical; it's been experimentally verified with precise clocks in high-speed jets and satellites.

If we're discussing the universe from a classical perspective, we might consider time as absolute. However, in modern physics, especially when dealing with high speeds or strong gravitational fields, the concept of relative time becomes essential.

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:52 AM, Pjdriver said:

Tim, there is no set speed of time. Time is relative. That means whatever time you are experiencing is real to you.

Yeah, right... so how come when I am at work time drags on..and on... like stubborn baby that does not want to move, and when I play boardgames, and have fun with friends same time flies by like a child on sugar rush? LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

so how come when I am at work time drags on..and on..

You take a nap at work, like I do,  your day will go much faster. :sleeping:  :lol:

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Yeah, right... so how come when I am at work time drags on..and on... like stubborn baby that does not want to move, and when I play boardgames, and have fun with friends same time flies by like a child on sugar rush? LOL :lol1:

I put a pot (called a boiler in the southern United States) with water on the stove.  Since I was in a hurry, I watched it, waiting for it to boil.  It seemed like it took forever to boil.

Edited by Witness1970

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

does that mean time is how well we get acquainted with is it.

Speed of the universe and us, is a bit tricky to figure because speed is always relative to something else. When you say you’re driving 50 mph, what does that mean. Relative to what? Relative to the earth/ground.  

For example We can’t measure the speed of the earth... relative to the earth.  We consider our motion relative to the cosmic microwave background (which is like the afterglow or echo of the "Big Bang"), our solar system moves at about 368 miles per second (or around 1,327,000 miles per hour).  That’s fast!

But that's also considering multiple movements: Earth rotating on its axis, orbiting the Sun, the Sun moving through the Milky Way, and the Milky Way moving in the universe.

Interestingly amazing  and Lucky for us..... Humans can't feel velocity,.  Velocity is just steady movement in a certain direction. What we can feel are changes in velocity, like speeding up, slowing down, or turning. This is because of the forces that act on our bodies during these changes.

But if you're moving at a constant speed in a straight line, you won't feel that movement. It's like cruising in a smooth car on a straight road; if you close your eyes, you might not even realize you're moving. It doesn’t matter how fast you’re moving. 

Edited by Pjdriver

29 minutes ago, Pjdriver said: 

But if you're moving at a constant speed in a straight line, you won't feel that movement. It's like cruising in a smooth car on a straight road; if you close your eyes, you might not even realize you're moving. It doesn’t matter how fast you’re moving. 

I always felt like that when I was in an airplane

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

44 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Speed of the universe and us, is a bit tricky to figure because speed is always relative to something else. When you say you’re driving 50 mph, what does that mean. Relative to what? Relative to the earth/ground.  

For example We can’t measure the speed of the earth... relative to the earth.  We consider our motion relative to the cosmic microwave background (which is like the afterglow or echo of the "Big Bang"), our solar system moves at about 368 miles per second (or around 1,327,000 miles per hour).  That’s fast!

But that's also considering multiple movements: Earth rotating on its axis, orbiting the Sun, the Sun moving through the Milky Way, and the Milky Way moving in the universe.

Interestingly amazing  and Lucky for us..... Humans can't feel velocity,.  Velocity is just steady movement in a certain direction. What we can feel are changes in velocity, like speeding up, slowing down, or turning. This is because of the forces that act on our bodies during these changes.

It’s funny

we’ve never actually stopped even once!

we are flying (200km/sec) and spinning all the time. To angels, we are little ants born and die while flying.

Edited by Hotteok