JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

36 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

Called a Balbo - Balbo Beard: How to Grow, Trim and Maintain

https://beardstyle.net/balbo-beard/

here's your start

2023-12-23_19h52_43.png

Nice. Can you make a stencil out of that and use black spray paint? :lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Today's Beard count:
Elders - 2
MS - 5 (maybe 6)
Pubs - 2

MS 1 Pub 1. BUT that being said all our elders except 1 and some MSs are on holiday so count may climb after holidays.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The governing body clarified the issue about wearing a beard, at no point did they say let your beards grow, it is becoming a fad very quickly, here in the congregation we already have about 16 brothers who have decided to grow a beard, although it is not wrong in my opinion view, caution must be exercised

7 minutes ago, Dhanyel said:

The governing body clarified the issue about wearing a beard, at no point did they say let your beards grow, it is becoming a fad very quickly, here in the congregation we already have about 16 brothers who have decided to grow a beard, although it is not wrong in my opinion view, caution must be exercised

Yeah, they didn't say "let your beards grow". But they did say...

"How should we view a brother who chooses to grow a beard today? The Governing Body does not have an issue with brothers wearing beards. Because the scriptures do not condemn the wearing of beards. Thus, whether a brother wears a beard is a personal decision. A brother's qualifications to serve as an elder or ministerial servant are based on his spirituality, not on whether he chooses to wear a beard.

In harmony with Romans 14:4, neither the elders nor any other Christian should feel compelled to judge a brother who chooses to wear a beard. How should we view a brother who decides to grow a beard? Apply Jesus' counsel at John 7:24: "Stop judging by the outward appearance".

Do you think as thorough as the Governing Body was that they neglected to warn us about something we need to be cautious of? 🧐

Edited by computerwiz

5 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Yeah, they didn't say "let your beards grow". But they did say...

"How should we view a brother who chooses to grow a beard today? The Governing Body does not have an issue with brothers wearing beards. Because the scriptures do not condemn the wearing of beards. Thus, whether a brother wears a beard is a personal decision. A brother's qualifications to serve as an elder or ministerial servant are based on his spirituality, not on whether he chooses to wear a beard.

In harmony with Romans 14:4, neither the elders nor any other Christian should feel compelled to judge a brother who chooses to wear a beard. How should we view a brother who decides to grow a beard? Apply Jesus' counsel at John 7:24: "Stop judging by the outward appearance".

Do you think as thorough as the Governing Body was that they neglected to warn us about something we need to be cautious of? 🧐

It's not about judgment, understand what I'm saying, please don't judge me, I'm saying that you need to think about everyone, your neighbors, your family, not everyone is using it out of personal decision but rather out of fashion, copying what the other I do, I see brothers who couldn't stand beards and are now wearing them, we can't give the impression that this would be an order like men wear a beard.

1 minute ago, Dhanyel said:

It's not about judgment, understand what I'm saying, please don't judge me, I'm saying that you need to think about everyone, your neighbors, your family, not everyone is using it out of personal decision but rather out of fashion, copying what the other I do, I see brothers who couldn't stand beards and are now wearing them, we can't give the impression that this would be an order like men wear a beard.

The GB was extremely clear on the matter. No such order was given. If anyone has any questions about that, they can go back and watch it. It's probably why it is also going to be played at the meeting very soon. Sooner than previous updates.

Personally, I'd look at brothers who were once strongly opposed to beards, now growing their own, as being very positive. They are not letting old prejudices get in the way. And they are keeping up with Jehovah's chariot. :thumbsup:

As far as impressions go, perception ≠ reality. If anyone thinks it was a command, they should be corrected. But we were not given any cautions to worry about that. We have enough worry and stress in our lives, I'm not gonna worry about beards... 

58 minutes ago, Dhanyel said:

I see brothers who couldn't stand beards and are now wearing them

We had the letter read again at the MWM, a younger ( 40 ish young 2 me )brother that read the letter was growing, he already had grown a moustache in the past ! 🧔‍♂️

I'm a little surprised and it seems to me kind of funny that so much brothers started growing beard immediately after seeing this update, even before such announcement was read in congregations. Personally even if I wanted to grow a beard I would wait a few weeks. I don't know... to me this looks somewhat immature, like I couldn't wait for this announcement to come soon enough, and now I have to do it the next second that it's allowed. But that's just me, I perfectly respect others that decide differently. >:D<

26 minutes ago, Osprey said:

I'm a little surprised and it seems to me kind of funny that so much brothers started growing beard immediately after seeing this update, even before such announcement was read in congregations. Personally even if I wanted to grow a beard I would wait a few weeks. I don't know... to me this looks somewhat immature, like I couldn't wait for this announcement to come soon enough, and now I have to do it the next second that it's allowed. But that's just me, I perfectly respect others that decide differently. >:D<

It’s really just excitement over something they have been waiting years for. Why begrudge them their excitement?

Its a natural reaction to something new. 

Im sure there is a CO or two growing a beard right now. Are they immature because they started growing one right away?

We have to get over old feelings. Personally I do not like goatees. They look creepy/pervy to me. But there’s already one brother in our hall growing one. I’m sure in time it won’t hit me wrong. We are all having to make adjustments as quickly as we can. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

37 minutes ago, Osprey said:

If it looks immature to you, then you have not accepted the adjustment or counsel to stop judging by the outward appearance. Really, what is my business with someone else's  personal taste or how soon they choose to display their choice, a choice that does not conflict with the Bible?

An interesting thought to ponder about: what if the GB decided in the very next update, just a few weeks away, that brothers can no longer have beards? How would we react? Would we then be quick to adjust? Now, that would be super interesting!

Edited by truce

I'm not begrudging anyone, I am just stating personal opinion, that I would not do it before announcements are read in congregations. Doing so to me it looks like a child that cannot wait a day or two more to get his candy. Sorry, it is what it is :D. But I don't look at them like they have done something bad, but I do find it kind of funny.

And to explain it a little more, I too wondered for some time already why beards are not "allowed", because I also was struggling to find a good reason for that, but was waiting for FDS on that.

Edited by Osprey

52 minutes ago, Osprey said:

Personally even if I wanted to grow a beard I would wait a few weeks

Just wait until the "no tie "wearing comes out, if, when, maybe, maybe not, with the zoom meetings when on camera I bought several clip on ties, easy on, easy off !  😅

nervous charlie sheen GIF

I'm a little surprised and it seems to me kind of funny that so much brothers started growing beard immediately after seeing this update, even before such announcement was read in congregations. Personally even if I wanted to grow a beard I would wait a few weeks. I don't know... to me this looks somewhat immature, like I couldn't wait for this announcement to come soon enough, and now I have to do it the next second that it's allowed. But that's just me, I perfectly respect others that decide differently. >:D

Part of what you said is true: many of us brothers couldn’t wait for this to be approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait until the "no tie "wearing comes out, if, when, maybe, maybe not, with the zoom meetings when on camera I bought several clip on ties, easy on, easy off !  

200.gif

I think a couple of yrs ago they approved the brothers in Hawaii to not wear ties. I could only hope it happens here in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk