JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ideas for a new Collaborative Reading

I like the idea of people finding their own images for the verse, particularly for chapters about creation. Otherwise, my preference is usually audio only.
Another favorite chapter that sounds nice when read is Isaiah 26.

(Isaiah 26:1-21) In that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah: “We have a strong city. He makes salvation its walls and its ramparts.  2 Open up the gates so that the righteous nation may enter, A nation that is keeping faithful conduct.  3 You will safeguard those who fully lean on you; You will give them continuous peace, Because it is in you that they trust.  4 Trust in Jehovah forever, For Jah Jehovah is the eternal Rock.  5 For he has brought low those inhabiting the height, the lofty city. He brings it down, He brings it down to the earth; He casts it down to the dust.  6 The foot will trample it, The feet of the afflicted, the steps of the lowly.”  7 The path of the righteous one is upright. Because you are upright, You will smooth out the course of the righteous.  8 As we follow the path of your judgments, O Jehovah, Our hope is in you. We long for your name and your memorial.  9 In the night I long for you with my whole being, Yes, my spirit keeps looking for you; For when there are judgments from you for the earth, The inhabitants of the land learn about righteousness. 10 Even if the wicked is shown favor, He will not learn righteousness. Even in the land of uprightness he will act wickedly, And he will not see the majesty of Jehovah. 11 O Jehovah, your hand is raised, but they do not see it. They will see your zeal for your people and be put to shame. Yes, the fire for your adversaries will consume them. 12 O Jehovah, you will grant us peace, Because everything we have done You have accomplished for us. 13 O Jehovah our God, other masters besides you have ruled over us, But we make mention of your name alone. 14 They are dead; they will not live. Powerless in death, they will not rise up. For you have turned your attention to them To annihilate them and destroy all mention of them. 15 You have enlarged the nation, O Jehovah, You have enlarged the nation; You have glorified yourself. You have greatly extended all the borders of the land. 16 O Jehovah, during distress they turned to you; They poured out their prayer in a whisper when you disciplined them. 17 Just as a pregnant woman about to give birth Has labor pains and cries out in pain, So we have been because of you, O Jehovah. 18 We became pregnant, we had labor pains, But it is as if we have given birth to wind. We have not brought salvation to the land, And no one is born to inhabit the land. 19 “Your dead will live. My corpses will rise up. Awake and shout joyfully, You residents in the dust! For your dew is as the dew of the morning, And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life. 20 Go, my people, enter your inner rooms, And shut your doors behind you. Hide yourself for a brief moment Until the wrath has passed by. 21 For look! Jehovah is coming from his place To call the inhabitants of the land to account for their error, And the land will expose her bloodshed And will no longer cover over her slain.”

We have a few suggestions now.  If there is enough interest, we can make a decision on which Bible reading we want to do.  If anyone wants to produce this next collaboration, please do volunteer.  This is something we all can share in. 

If you're interested, please put your name against which suggestion we want to do next (copy and paste this into your post).  Then we can get an idea of which one to do.  (And if your suggestion is not there, just add it along with your name next to it).

SUGGESTIONS:

• one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla
  • chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian
  • Job chps 33 to 41 (post 22) - Alex
  • Isaiah chp 26 (post 26) - Alex
  • Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl

SUGGESTIONS:

• one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla (Irmantas, [...])
  • chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian

On 1/3/2018 at 8:29 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

We have a few suggestions now.  If there is enough interest, we can make a decision on which Bible reading we want to do.  If anyone wants to produce this next collaboration, please do volunteer.  This is something we all can share in. 

If you're interested, please put your name against which suggestion we want to do next (copy and paste this into your post).  Then we can get an idea of which one to do.  (And if your suggestion is not there, just add it along with your name next to it).

SUGGESTIONS:

• one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla

SUGGESTIONS:

• Luke 1 - alexa

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

If we can all agree on what we will do as our next project, then we can get started. So please add your name to your preferred project as above.  We will need more readers too.

Also, does anyone else want to manage this one?  I'd like others to have the chance, so the artistic direction will be a bit different every time :) 

On 1/15/2018 at 5:39 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

"If we can all agree on what we will do as our next project, then we can get started"

Maybe a date should be set in which we need to submit our preference. Otherwise, by default,  your choice (job 38) wins. :shrugs:

That being said... I have no strong preference. I will read whatever the majority decides. :)

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Ok, that is a good idea, or else nothing will get done.  If we can have anyone who's interested put there name down with their preferred reading by Sunday 21st USA time (the rest of us by Mon 22/1) we'll have a good idea what to do.

SUGGESTIONS:

• one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla
  • chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian
  • Job chps 33 to 41 (post 22) - Alex
  • Isaiah chp 26 (post 26) - Alex
  • Luke 1 - alexa

Copy and paste the suggestions, and add your names in bold to the end on what you want to vote for. Even if you have no major preference, just go with your first inclination to help get things moving. Can always do another later. To me it looks like Alexa, Kristian and Qapla are more or less voting for the same thing? Some dedicated parts for male and female voices. Personally, I'm not up to doing any video editing or I would be trying to help organize this more.

SUGGESTIONS:

1. one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla
  2. chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian
  3. Isaiah chp 26 (post 26) - 
  4. Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl, Alex
  5. Luke 1 - Alexa

SUGGESTIONS:

1. one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla
  2. chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian
  4. Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl, Alex, Hanah45
  5. Luke 1 - Alexa

5 hours ago, Hanah45 said:

SUGGESTIONS:

4. Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl, Alex, Hanah45,  GeordieGirl
  5. Luke 1 - Alexa

And I'd like to read verse 7 and/or 29  Just getting in early.

However, I am also willing to stand aside if there are others who didn't read in the last one. :) 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

9 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

How do I get in on this ? 

It's lovely you want to join us. At this stage, we are giving our suggestions (see above), and some have noted their preferences too. By Sun/Monday we should have enough volunteers to make a decision as to what reading project we’ll be doing, and we can divide up the verses. So please brother Arellano, add your preference to the list.

6 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

However, I am also willing to stand aside if there are others who didn't read in the last one

No one will be turned away! The more the merrier! 

Anyone else want want to join us too?

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It's lovely you want to join us. At this stage, we are giving our suggestions (see above), and some have noted their preferences too. By Sun/Monday we should have enough volunteers to make a decision as to what reading project we’ll be doing, and we can divide up the verses. So please brother Arellano, add your preference to the list.

Of course! But it's not decided what we'll do exactly? (I know, we'll read, but you know what I mean :D)

10 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I would love to assist in any way possible.  I only speak English though.  

If we can have anyone who's interested put there name down with their preferred reading by Sunday 21st USA time (the rest of us by Mon 22/1) we'll have a good idea what to do.  Since this is a collaborative reading, when we finally decide what to read together and divide up the reading, we also need to provide an image or short clip to go with your verses.  I think it will be a more inclusive project.  If no one else wants to steer the ship, so to speak, I don't mind.  However, please say if you'd like to be the one who assembles this.  More instructions later after cut-off date for suggestions.

SUGGESTIONS: *add more if you like*

• one where only Sisters read and another where only Brothers read (post 13) - Qapla
  • chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian
  • Isaiah chp 26 (post 26) - 
  • Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl, Alex, Hanah45,  GeordieGirl
  • Luke 1 - Alexa

Any past readers are welcome to read again.  It can be in English, or not - let's mix this one up!

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:
  • chapters that are with discussions, either a female with male, or male with male, or female with female (post 18) - For example, we had Luke chp1 from the Congregation Book Study read this way by a group of brothers and sisters reading the parts of Gabriel, Zechariah, narrator, Mary and Elizabeth - Kristian, 2Eves
  • Isaiah chp 26 (post 26) - 
  • Job 38 - (idea from Alex's suggestion) - Hatcheckgirl, Alex, Hanah45,  GeordieGirl
  • Luke 1 - Alexa

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"