JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who We Are, Why We Are, and Where Are We Going

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2134 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I used to love it when Watchtower publications would run that Vermont Royster quote. After remarking on how far we have come science-wise, he added: “Yet here is a curious thing. In the contemplation of man himself, of his dilemmas, of his place in the universe, we are little further along than when time began. We are still left with questions of who we are and why we are and where we are going.”

It is pretty obvious why Jehovah’s Witnesses would love those words; they make clear that a shallow world of materialism will not do. You can even think those words every time a Kate Spade or Anthony Bourdain takes his life. Or anyone else. Suicide is all the rage today. People decide that ‘Hotel World’ has not that much to offer, and they line up at the counter to check out.

Isn't it a little missing the point when people look for the one factor, maybe social media, that is tipping people over the edge? Or suggest that it is all a matter of better mental health care? 

“For over half a century, as a journalist, author, and teacher, Vermont Royster illuminated the political and economic life of our times. His common sense exploded the pretensions of "expert opinion," and his compelling eloquence warned of the evils of society loosed from its moorings in faith,” read the citation when he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1986.

There are few things I enjoy more than exploding the pretensions of "expert opinions."

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

People decide that ‘Hotel World’ has not that much to offer, and they line up at the counter to check out.

Isn't it a little missing the point when people look for the one factor, maybe social media, that is tipping people over the edge? Or suggest that it is all a matter of better mental health care? 

Most of the values that have shaped Australia - and for the best - are from Western civilization. But a great sickness is growing - a suicidal self-hatred of this same civilization.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We've reached an age of "experts" in which anyone can be an expert in something even if it's not completely valid. Look at all the pseudo experts answering questions on Quora

I hope you don't mind me saying that the title of this thread reminds me of this painting by Gaugan entitled "Where do we come from? What are we? Where are we going?" I think it's a gorgeous painting. Love the colors he uses. Musings on the meaning of life.

image.thumb.png.6ec9c25e378927a645411b9dd2954c55.png

14 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

You can even think those words every time a Kate Spade or Anthony Bourdain takes his life

Suicide is all the rage today

Personally,  I feel that the poor individuals that have served in the military and are killing themselves at the rate of 22 people a day is the most tragic. 

These people just wanted to better themselves through opportunities opened by military service,  or they were willing to die for what cause de jour was popular at the time,  it just seems so tragic that they were deluded into believing that old lie and they can't live with themselves after the fact....

'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori '...

How horrible is that? ....

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

May I ask,  what is this referring to? 

Quota is a forum where people ask questions on virtually every topic out there.....and they get answers from virtually every kook out there. :coffee:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

10 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

May I ask,  what is this referring to? 

When you answer a question on quora it asks "what are your qualifications" and you can put pretty much anything you want basically, lol.
A person with actual credentials can answer side by side with someone who barely did any research on something. In other words, everyone, today, is an "expert".
Not to say, you need a degree to be an expert in something. But it's just how funny how the internet equalizes the idea of expertise like that.

Edited by Katty

20 hours ago, Katty said:

I hope you don't mind me saying that the title of this thread reminds me of this painting by Gaugan entitled "Where do we come from? What are we? Where are we going?" I think it's a gorgeous painting. Love the colors he uses. Musings on the meaning of life.

The painting and its title is used to introduce the topic in one of our publications; I forget which one. I'm sure it is searchable.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

40 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The painting and its title is used to introduce the topic in one of our publications; I forget which one. I'm sure it is searchable.

I think it's Is There a Creator Who Cares About You?

16 minutes ago, jwhess said:

If you wish to search the Watchtower publications, be aware that we spell the artist's name Paul Gauguin.

Oh yes, my error, thank you.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, tekmantwo said:

Personally,  I feel that the poor individuals that have served in the military and are killing themselves at the rate of 22 people a day is the most tragic. 

These people just wanted to better themselves through opportunities opened by military service,  or they were willing to die for what cause de jour was popular at the time,  it just seems so tragic that they were deluded into believing that old lie and they can't live with themselves after the fact....

'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori '...

How horrible is that? ....

My work colleague did a tour of duty in Northern Ireland and is one of life’s most helpful people.

But sadly his cynicism about what was the point of fighting for what he believed in has led to a closed door of whether the Bible has any worth.

He’s too stubborn to commit suicide, so I have time....

Funny how they all feel the same no matter what national armed forces they have served in 😔

On 6/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, jwhess said:

If you wish to search the Watchtower publications, be aware that we spell the artist's name Paul Gauguin.

But in this case,  phonetically spelled, it tells me immediately who this artist is and it's so much easier then learning French.  😊

Did you ever see Gallagher do his bit on the pronunciation of simple 4 letter English words and their meanings?     And what an odd coincidence, Gallagher looks a little like Gaugan...    er...Gauguin. 

2 minutes ago, Sister Susie said:

But in this case,  phonetically spelled, it tells me immediately who this artist is and it's so much easier then learning French.  😊

The spelling will vary by region.  I was able to google it under the "Gaugan" spelling.  I just wanted the "brothers & sisters" to realize that it wouldn't work in our search features in WTLibrary and so on.  In the 1960's when I was assigned to write letters of concern to the Portuguese government about their treatment of our brothers in their country. I was assigned to write to Lisbon.  The prepared labels were marked Lisboa. With each region and varying cultures and language, the spelling differs.