JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablet for personal study & meetings?

I have an Asus Infinity Transformer that I wished to use at the meetings but I find it very awkward. When I study for the meetings, using my Asus, underlining or highlighting is a major pain. The text I have underlined will have a box form around it that moves on the page when I try to underline some more. It's very frustrating and greatly slows down the process. Also, it seems I must have a different app for almost any function such as for the song book or the Bible. I would love to have simplicity and organization along with ease of use.

So, I bought a used iPad but made the mistake of getting the iPad 1 which is unable to update it's IOS to the required 6 or 7 for the apps others use at the meetings.

I am now trying to sell both devices in order to purchase an iPad 2 that several brothers and sisters use and have success with and have recommended. 

My question is, must I sell both of these devices in order to have an effective tool for my meetings & aservice or is there some way to make one or both of these work well for me?

On my Asus I have tried using JW.org, of course, along with JW Reader & JW Library and on my iPad I couldn't use any current JW apps due to the outdated IOS.

With the Asus tablet, which is Android, you should try the "mantano reader" app. You can use the free version but the paid ($5.00) is much more powerful. I use mostly the epub versions of the Study WT and the Draw close book from jw.org. With Mantano reader, highlighting and underlining are a breeze. As are making notes in the margins, or "pop up" notes.

Thank you very much, Brother Chuck, for your assistance. Do you think there are more benefits to using an iPad for our purposes or will my Asus do just as well? I'm kind of a gadget girl, I must admit. I love technology! :) 

You kind of get into the "personal preference" area. I dislike Apple products because I like to customize things myself and Android is the perfect platform for experimenting and customizing. I really can't advise about the iPad as I have never had one. Many friends are very happy with their though. 

I also have an Asus.......I love it......it takes lots of practice and also adjusting the settings so that they work for you. I like Moon Reader now, but I liked the Mantano Reader while I was using it.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Am taking my brand new Samsung Galaxy Tablet out to the lake next week to take pictures of the Eagles who have built a BIG NEST up the tree.  I hope that my picture turns out better then my digital camera took last year.  And then I'll try to figure out how to put those pictures on here for all to see! 

Thank you very much, Brother Chuck, for your assistance. Do you think there are more benefits to using an iPad for our purposes or will my Asus do just as well? I'm kind of a gadget girl, I must admit. I love technology! :)

From what I could gather around If want the tablet mainly for theocratic use I would advice the iPad, and it has this app that does kt all that you want in a single app (Equipd) and its missing on android (:().

If, like Chuck said, you're into personalization and doing whatever you want to do with the tablet, then go for android (ipad sort of decided what you need it for and nothing more). You can also do pretty much everything with few app's but with a higher learning curve and more configuration needed.

As for the ipad, if you can don't buy the 2 because if the 1 is outdated the 2 will be soon... There are the 3 the 4 (ipad with retina) and Air on top of that version

Also if you like more portability go for the mini because it can do everything his older brother does (specially the retina version) with less cost

Current ipad versions: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

As for the android, if you can go for the note version of samsung because of the unique S-pen that makes you write and draw on the tablet as if it were paper - that is superb for anotatins and underling or jotting down anything. Now, you don't need to buy the latest more expensive models because, unlike apple, you can allways update your "older" model for a very long time, besides the older note versions are pretty much recent and speedy still (ex: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-White/dp/B008M4K5MY) Or search for a used one

You have also a mini note version (8") that does the same (no 2014 edition)

I am with you. In the past, I would have said android, but having used equipd for the past month - wow! Yes, an iPad is the way to go - even if you have an android phone. Unless the price is too prohibitive.

Edit - I must add - IF you are doing more than one language! If you are only doing one - english, an android is WAY cheaper and will give you the same thing - especially with apps like "watchtower library" and JWReader and iSilo.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have so many cords that came with my toys that I don't ever need to buy one. One whole box loaded with them.

And you may think those cords are clutter. I think not. I have a Bluetooth stereo I use with my iPod and gone. Poof! We had been on a cleaning purge. All I could do was assume off to the thrift shop... Well, some 93$ later, (with a discount, mind you) I am in business again. Went to that thrift shop. I checked to see if that innocent piece of $ was still there. Nope. Lesson learned.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Include me, too! I thought, my first thought "are the Eagles still around, playing".

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but two of the original member of the Eagles used to live around here and used to play with some other noteworthy individuals of the same beginnings with their bands - like Tom Petty and Stephen Stills ....

OK - back to the tablets ......

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

From what I could gather around If want the tablet mainly for theocratic use I would advice the iPad, and it has this app that does kt all that you want in a single app (Equipd) and its missing on android ( :().

If, like Chuck said, you're into personalization and doing whatever you want to do with the tablet, then go for android (ipad sort of decided what you need it for and nothing more). You can also do pretty much everything with few app's but with a higher learning curve and more configuration needed.

As for the ipad, if you can don't buy the 2 because if the 1 is outdated the 2 will be soon... There are the 3 the 4 (ipad with retina) and Air on top of that version

Also if you like more portability go for the mini because it can do everything his older brother does (specially the retina version) with less cost

Current ipad versions: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

As for the android, if you can go for the note version of samsung because of the unique S-pen that makes you write and draw on the tablet as if it were paper - that is superb for anotatins and underling or jotting down anything. Now, you don't need to buy the latest more expensive models because, unlike apple, you can allways update your "older" model for a very long time, besides the older note versions are pretty much recent and speedy still (ex: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-White/dp/B008M4K5MY) Or search for a used one

You have also a mini note version (8") that does the same (no 2014 edition)

Thank you, Brother Joao, for so much valuable information! I am saving this message for future reference.  :)

I find it strange that they would give no warranty with a factory refurbished product. That might be worth pursuing regarding customer rights.

A hifi manufacturer in the UK whose products I used for a number of years, sometimes make available through their dealers "reprocessed" items, just like factory refurbs, and sell at a reduced price with full warranty (2 years).

Bit off topic,but are you talking about Cyrus there Christopher?

I am with you. In the past, I would have said android, but having used equipd for the past month - wow! Yes, an iPad is the way to go - even if you have an android phone. Unless the price is too prohibitive.

Edit - I must add - IF you are doing more than one language! If you are only doing one - english, an android is WAY cheaper and will give you the same thing - especially with apps like "watchtower library" and JWReader and iSilo.

Sorry Jer, but I have JW lib & PLA-ndroid ( there are windows versions ) on my Samsung, which the PLA-ndroid has several languages, esp NWT bibles, which is how I witnessed the the Chinese doctor on the plane last Tuesday. It doesn't come in fruity flavors, such as apple.

For the next week, I'm only 4 hours drive away, You live in Henderson, I do believe you mentioned once. Only about an hour from our borg friend, too. Speaking of which maybe Chucky Borg can come and assimalate the Mexicans across the street with their LOUD music! I'm sure they can hear it in town 5 miles away.

I was hoping for an early night. Grrrrrr.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please tell me where to find a Bible and KM download that I can us on my Asus tablet? I use Mantano Reader so they would have to be compatible with that. I tried jw.org but the downloads didn't format correctly. Thank you in advance, dear brothers and sisters. :)

I hope this is right...I looked in my tablet and it says, "Android Version 4.2.1" but I'm not sure if that's referring to the OS?

YEP, that is the OS or Operating System.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Can anyone please tell me where to find a Bible and KM download that I can us on my Asus tablet? I use Mantano Reader so they would have to be compatible with that. I tried jw.org but the downloads didn't format correctly. Thank you in advance, dear brothers and sisters. :)

There isn't a place for KM downloads. But there is an app for Bibles. If you go to the app story (called "Google Play" ) you will see the "official" one called "JW Library". Here is a link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

YEP, that is the OS or Operating System.

So can you tell me where I can download the Bible and the KM for my device that will work with Mantano Reader? I tried downloading the epub version from jw.org but it didn't work properly.

There isn't a place for KM downloads. But there is an app for Bibles. If you go to the app story (called "Google Play" ) you will see the "official" one called "JW Library". Here is a link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile

How do I make this work without being online though? I already have JW Library but I checked it last night at the Hall, I had forgotten my Bible, and it wouldn't work.

You have to be on-line to install it. Then open it while you are on-line. It will download all the files the first time you open it. Then it will work off-line after that.

Soon .....