JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablet for personal study & meetings?

How about the Galaxy Note 8... any thoughts?

I have the Galaxy Note 2 (phone) and Galaxy Note 10 (tablet), and I :heart: them both. The Galaxy Note 8 looks like my phone, with the single primary physical button. Now my 10 has multiple cascading windows, while my phone can only do 2 split screen windows. I am not sure what the 8 does, but rarely do I need more than 2 apps on the screen at the same time, and mostly for business and not study.

I am sure it is probably a lovely device. Both the White and Black versions are $379 online.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

@John I got it on  Ebay

@Rachel it means that it was sent to the factory where it was restored to original condition.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 2 months later...

Nook is good. :)

I hope so I just got a nook hd 9" 32GB model specifically for the meetings. Couldn't afford the premium 10" tablets and needed something big enough with a good screen. Its my first tablet so I am hoping it was a good choice. I think it has everything i need.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

sorry to ask this; what does factory refurbished thing mean?

It means that when it was sold new there was a defect and it was returned. I bought a refurbished laptop. They didn't even check it out before reselling it again. They had to send me a new battery and all is good.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

It means that when it was sold new there was a defect and it was returned. I bought a refurbished laptop. They didn't even check it out before reselling it again. They had to send me a new battery and all is good.

Refurbished means they can't sell it as new & it is just one returned for any or no reason and may or may not be checked out at distribution center. Sometimes stores put them back on the shelf without checking them -which is Bad for consumers & store.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I bought a factory refurbished Samsung Note and when I opened the box, it had never even been taken out of the wrapper or the box. It was just like brand new. But it voids the warranty for some reason, so I had to buy one for it.  

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I bought a factory refurbished Samsung Note and when I opened the box, it had never even been taken out of the wrapper or the box. It was just like brand new. But it voids the warranty for some reason, so I had to buy one for it.  

I find it strange that they would give no warranty with a factory refurbished product. That might be worth pursuing regarding customer rights.

A hifi manufacturer in the UK whose products I used for a number of years, sometimes make available through their dealers "reprocessed" items, just like factory refurbs, and sell at a reduced price with full warranty (2 years).

I bought it from Samsung on Ebay as refurbished and there is a 90 day warranty which I did get, but no long term (1 yr.) one.

I hate Apple's. I got it for less than 1/2 price of original. It is awesome and android. :bouncing: 

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting a tablet soon and am seriously considering the Samsung Note or Tab but what is the difference between the two? which would be the best? I've thought about an ipad but my phone is the Samsung S3 which I love and is easy to use so thinking of sticking to what I know.  thanks! :)

I have the note, but so far haven't figured out how to use the pen. To be honest though, I haven't played with it much either.

I have the note also. One thing about the tab is that you have to buy a seperate adapter cord to plug into the usb of your computer in the event you need to transfer data between the two.

Our tab 3  10.1" came with usb cord that plugs into wall charger or computer.  It also is same cord for my Sony ereader and US cellphone ( Samsung ). This cord looks like mini usb but it is not.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have so many cords that came with my toys that I don't ever need to buy one. One whole box loaded with them.

I use an iPad and have downloaded ePub literature including the magazines from jw.org, a good reference Bible app, with extra languages, iSilo with weekly study material and Watchtower Library on it, and Notability app, which allows me to record and take notes simultaneously. I find I can type notes much more quickly - and legibly - than handwriting, either pen and paper or with stylus.

I also have the videos, dramas, and dramatic Bible readings downloaded.

I probably have more downloaded than most, but it is available to me without having to have Internet access.

I used for all three days of the district convention, and it will help me to concentrate on the public talk at the weekly meeting, because I can record it and take notes. I have always had a problem remaining focused during talks, but with my tablet I am much more able to concentrate.

these tips help, since last year wife and I just kinda inherited/learning how to better use an older iMac, apple TV, iPad 3 and iPhone 5 - trying to tie-in many theocratic apps between ios7 & osx10 to enhance our theocratic education/teaching -  realizing older dogs must slowly learn new tricks