JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

There are likely 40 billion Earth-like planets in our Milky Way galaxy, astronomers say.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3816 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/04/earth-like-planets-milky-way-galaxy/3433449/

There are likely "tens of billions" of Earth-like planets in our Milky Way galaxy, according to a study released Monday by astronomers from the University of California-Berkeley and the University of Hawaii.

"Planets like our Earth are relatively common throughout the Milky Way galaxy," said astronomer Andrew Howard of the University of Hawaii, who estimates the number at about 40 billion.

In fact, the nearest Earth-like planet may be "only" 12 light years away, which is roughly 72 trillion miles.

In all, about 8.8 billion stars in our galaxy have planets that are nearly the size of Earth and also have a surface temperature conducive to the development of life. But many more stars (those not similar to our sun) also have planets where life could form, which is where the 40 billion-planet figure comes from.

Like Goldilocks tasting the porridge, temperatures must be "just right" for life to develop: Planets must have a so-called "habitable zone" with "lukewarm temperatures, so that water would not be frozen into ice or vaporized into steam but instead remain a liquid, because liquid water is now understood to be the prerequisite for life," said Geoffrey Marcy, a professor of astronomy at Berkeley.

The discovery was based on the most accurate statistical analysis yet of all the observations from the Kepler telescope, a space observatory launched in 2009 specifically designed to locate planets around other stars.

1383595348000-64132.jpg

Temperatures must be "just right" for life to develop, astronomers say.(Photo: University of Hawaii/University of California)

The research was based mainly on an exhaustive, three-year search of Kepler data undertaken by Erik Petigura, a graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley.

"Now, for the first time, humanity has a measure of how common Earth-size planets are around sun-like stars," Marcy added.

Howard says the new estimate of planets means there are 40 billion chances "for life to get started and to evolve."

"The findings are robust, but you have to read the fine print to understand that the numbers are somewhat uncertain," noted MIT astronomer Sara Seager, who was not part of the study. "Overall the result speaks to the growing findings that small planets are everywhere."

"For the past couple of years there has been an emerging consensus that Earth-sized planets are common, so in that sense the result is not hugely surprising," said astronomer David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who was also not part of the study. "What is special about this work is the huge effort of the authors to develop a completely independent way of measuring this occurrence rate to that of the Kepler team."

And going beyond our galaxy, Marcy reminds us that the Milky Way is just a typical galaxy within our universe, which contains hundreds of billions of galaxies, each of which has about the same number of sun-like stars as does our Milky Way.

"With tens of billions of Earth-like planets in each galaxy, our entire universe must contain billions of billions of Earth-like planets," Marcy said,

The study was published online Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences using data from the Kepler telescope. The $591 million Kepler telescope is now crippled and nearing the end of its four-year mission.

Moved to Secular News & Current Events since your topic for discussion is based on a piece of news/journalism, although what it is you want to discuss isn't clear in your post.

But I'll say that I believe there is life on other planets. Not intelligent life, as I feel that started here with Adam and Eve. But grass, birds and bees, etc are probably out there somewhere.

Maybe that'll get the ball rollin' :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Moved to Secular News & Current Events since your topic for discussion is based on a piece of news/journalism, although what it is you want to discuss isn't clear in your post.

But I'll say that I believe there is life on other planets. Not intelligent life, as I feel that started here with Adam and Eve. But grass, birds and bees, etc are probably out there somewhere.

Maybe that'll get the ball rollin' :)

Got it .. I'll keep it the Secular news next time.

That's interesting, I've wondered myself if Jehovah's will continues in that way. I

I really just wanted to mix it up with Ava again :D -- just kidding Ava...

But it does SEEM like all those galaxies and planets out there just doing nothing would be a waste and Jehovah isn't wasteful. It's an intriguing thought. I've never really actually thought there is any life (lesser forms) as you mention, could be though...

I don't buy into aliens, at least not in the physical sense, I do think they are very probably demons, specifically Tsoukalos ancient aliens - Love the hair though... His hair is aliens.

giorgio-a-tsoukalos.jpg

A little debunk video...

Edited by Jordan

Hmmm, I too never thought about less intelligent life forms already being in existence.  Interesting thought.  We know that Jehovah's resting from his creative works and will continue to do so until the end of the thousand year reign.  Makes me wonder what he's got planned for the rest of the universe and what he's got in mind for day 8, week 2.

Hmmm, I too never thought about less intelligent life forms already being in existence.  Interesting thought.  We know that Jehovah's resting from his creative works and will continue to do so until the end of the thousand year reign.  Makes me wonder what he's got planned for the rest of the universe and what he's got in mind for day 8, week 2.

Another way of looking at it is that Jehovah is resting from his creative works as regards to the earth, but we know "he has kept working".

Is there Intelligent life other than on earth? Of course there is, Jehovah, Jesus, Gabriel and all the other angles! On other planets? News update -the astromoners just found an earth like planet 42? light years away. Life on this 50% larger planet? Nope- it is very close to its sun and is spiriling into its sun. Makes Mercury look extremely far from the sun.  ( was on a news feed from dacvrs.com )

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

There has gotta be (physical) life out there somewhere. None that were created in God's image. That experiment began right here. But plant and animal life, souls of other sorts (or the same sorts) elsewhere.

We are meant to be the Earth's caretakers. Perhap after proving we can do the job, we'll be able to branch out to other assignments throughout the universe. :)

Yes, I watch too much Sci-Fi.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

We know that Jehovah's resting from his creative works and will continue to do so until the end of the thousand year reign.

And yet the universe continues to expand even while Jehovah rests. I wonder, even though Jehovah rests, if his will doesn't continue as it does here on earth to work toward his ultimate goals (whatever those may be)

Is there Intelligent life other than on earth? Of course there is, Jehovah, Jesus, Gabriel and all the other angles! On other planets? News update -the astromoners just found an earth like planet 42? light years away. Life on this 50% larger planet? Nope- it is very close to its sun and is spiriling into its sun. Makes Mercury look extremely far from the sun.  ( was on a news feed from dacvrs.com )

Are Lichen and bacteria considered life? Ok lets rephrase the question - do you think there are other planets (since there are literally hundreds of billions not just "kepler 62") that could host life. And if NOT - then why not?

Edited by Jordan

Are Lichen and bacteria considered life? Ok lets rephrase the question - do you think there are other planets (since there are literally hundreds of billions not just "kepler 62") that could host life. And if NOT - then why not?

Bacteria etc are not intelligent life. 

<There has gotta be (physical) life out there somewhere. None that were created in God's image. That experiment began right here. But plant and animal life, souls of other sorts (or the same sorts) elsewhere.

We are meant to be the Earth's caretakers. Perhap after proving we can do the job, we'll be able to branch out to other assignments throughout the universe. :)

Yes, I watch too much Sci-Fi. >  Me too - I really like some of the old stuff - my wife can't stand old B&W -yet I have to say the old B&W 'The Day the Eart Stood Still' is much better than the new version -and some 13 yr old at mall agreed with me. :backflip:

Edited by pnutts

That depends, compared to what or whom --- I've met some pretty ignorant people :) I'm sure you have also.

He did mention "Plant life"  - there are studies about plans that are quite interesting - they can feel pain and communicate danger to other plants etc...

He just excluded humans - but if there are other planets in the universe that can contain life OR will someday contain life - perhaps they will have caretakers as well... maybe you and your wife will be the next pair of humans to fulfill what Adam and Eve could not on another earth like planet. 

A whole universe of humans praising him - Just a thought...

Edited by Jordan

That depends, compared to what or whom --- I've met some pretty ignorant people :) I'm sure you have also.

He did mention "Plant life"  - there are studies about plans that are quite interesting - they can feel pain and communicate danger to other plants etc...

He just excluded humans - but if there are other planets in the universe that can contain life OR will someday contain life - perhaps they will have caretakers as well... maybe you and your wife will be the next pair of humans to fulfill what Adam and Eve could not on another earth like planet. 

A whole universe of humans praising him - Just a thought...

Intelligence Not Required -Hmmm sounds like a conspiracy theory movie-wait its true, it is a movie.

Universe full of humans praising him -I'll go along with that.

Whether Jehovah will is a different story. I'll gladly take what He gives.

Edited by pnutts

And the evidence against is?

The assertion that life exists elsewhere was made, the onus is on the one making the statement to provide evidence to support it, not on the doubter to disprove the assertion.

The fact is, the only planet where we know life exists is here on this earth.  Anything else is speculation.  Unless you have evidence to the contrary.

The assertion that life exists elsewhere was made, the onus is on the one making the statement to provide evidence to support it, not on the doubter to disprove the assertion.

The fact is, the only planet where we know life exists is here on this earth.  Anything else is speculation.  Unless you have evidence to the contrary.

The voices in my head tell me so. They communicate with me from their home worlds. :P

Comfortable now? :lol1:

The fact is, the only planet where we know life exists is here on this earth. Anything else is speculation. Unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Off course there is no evidence but I to feel that at least, if not now, then sometime in the future there will be not only some form of life but humans living on other planets

I belive on this because I think that everything that Jehovah created has a purpose... "the Earth he gave gave to the sons of men" but what about the rest of the 10000000000000000000........ times bigger Universe? We humans are the only one who can exploit the physical universe... the spiritual creatures where made to enjoy the spiritual realm not the physical world... and for countless ages they inhabited there

Jehovah created the physical Universe for US.... I believe its final purpose for the entire Universe is just on halt... but he could could have already prepared other planets before Adam's sin...

And yet the universe continues to expand even while Jehovah rests. I wonder, even though Jehovah rests, if his will doesn't continue as it does here on earth to work toward his ultimate goals (whatever those may be)

Actually, that the universe is expanding is just a theory... as is the Big Bang

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)