JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Outline

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3612 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Forgive me for not knowing but what is the purpose of this app.

Since we now can use a tablet at the stand it's a very good way to prepare a talk and keep track of time for each subject... I would say it's good for any talk, sisters included, not just the public talk
Edited by jayrtom

We have one brother that gets a little upset when he is cut off. His last talk he got the bell and he balked a little and said, "but I just have one more sentence." Funny thing is that at the Service Meeting following he was appointed MS.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Chuckle chuckle ... Oops ..lol

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

lynn, on 05 Jan 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:snapback.png

Ding! Ding! But brother (to School Overseer) my timer says I have 10 seconds left. :angry:

:lol1:
In my congregation we don't use ding, ding's anymore, the school overseer just stands up and starts walk towards the stairs to the stand.. At that moment you better stop talking :)

Our brother does not use the bell either but I had to laugh at the quote "ding! ding! ding!"..  I have been on the MS since they allowed sisters to give presentations ( and that has been a longggg time) so yes, I have been "dinged" off many times in my younger years.  Once a new woman came to the mtg (and she eventually became our sister) and said "I have never heard of anyone being dinged off the stage!"  Things have certainly changed over the years!  And what a wonderful privilege Jehovah as given us sisters to learn to be more effective ministers of  His Word. 

Isn't it just about the funniest thing when the school overseer stand up and starts walking towards the sisters... and the sister giving the talk panics but in her panic, starts talking MORE ...lol... and she's still digging in her back for the Teach book that she wanted to end on offering, and the sister assisting her is making slashing signals  and mouthing "cut, CUT!" ...but the sister keeps talking but faster because she's flustered... and she doesn't stop until the brothers shadow hits her...

I may have exaggerated a little...lol

I am bad about timing also (who would have guessed?!) and once gave a talk as if I were witnessing to a co-worker at the hospital while drawing up a medication.  I was so close to winding down with the buzzer rang.  I just cut it off by saying "Sorry, that's my patient ringing now for his enema"  and everyone in the audience giggled and gasped.  Shock value.  I got high marks for spontaneity!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Grumpy doesn't hear the bell and the brother Dings and then Dings and another Ding. Finally he starts rapping the table. By then Grumpy has finished his talk.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Isn't it just about the funniest thing when the school overseer stand up and starts walking towards the sisters... and the sister giving the talk panics but in her panic, starts talking MORE ...lol... and she's still digging in her back for the Teach book that she wanted to end on offering, and the sister assisting her is making slashing signals  and mouthing "cut, CUT!" ...but the sister keeps talking but faster because she's flustered... and she doesn't stop until the brothers shadow hits her...

I may have exaggerated a little...lol

:lol1::D:lol1::thumbsup::lol1:  :laugh::lol1::lol2::lol1:

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

• 2 months later...

We had an older brother in our hall a few years back that always went over on his parts, a lot. He was an elder but couldn't do much anymore, he would get small parts. He had some incredible stories, was a shepherd for like 20 years so could really explain some things nicely. His son was the PO at the time and would look at us, frustrated, as his dad would go on. I felt like he seldom got parts anymore, he was making the best of it when he did. One night he went like 5 minutes over on his part on the Service Meeting. His son was making motions to him, the following speaker getting nervous. Finally he concludes his part, introduces the next part and speaker, then he says..."but while Bro...is coming up I want to mention this one more thing..."

That was great, I loved him. His son looked mortified. But he really had some cool stories.

Maybe his son should have implemented the crook necked cane from the side of the stage and pulled him off as seen in the old comedies. I for one understand the time limits but I still feel it rude when so many older ones find it hard to adjust .

LeslieDean

I was at an elders school once when an elder, in the presence of his father (also an elder) asked a question of the instructor:

"When your talk time is up, but the brother before you came off early, is it OK to also fill his time, since you haven't yet reached the time in the schedule when you should come off the platform?"

Everyone in the room discerned that this was a point of contention between these two elders!!

How would you answer?
I'll tell you later what the instructor said!!

I was at an elders school once when an elder, in the presence of his father (also an elder) asked a question of the instructor:

"When your talk time is up, but the brother before you came off early, is it OK to also fill his time, since you haven't yet reached the time in the schedule when you should come off the platform?"

Everyone in the room discerned that this was a point of contention between these two elders!!

How would you answer?

I Guess the Meeting should have the duration that was planned... No more no less.

If the brother before took too much time than the next should cut a bit... On the opposite situation the next brother should stretch a bit.

That's what makes sense to me... But maybe wrong ;-)

Edited by jayrtom

No one complains about a meeting ending early - only late!!

My thoughts - NO, use the time you are given and not the extra from the talk before. To add would be to go beyond the instructions.

That said, I have breathed a sigh of relief at times when there was a little cushion as I went too long :eek: I am still working on that whole obedience thing  :D

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

How would you answer?

I would reason no. Each person has an assigned time.

LeslieDean

That's an interesting concept, but I think I would just prefer  to use the stopwatch on my cellphone.

I can by that means just lay it on the podium and look down to see how much time I have left for my talk.

However I have not been able to give talks for a while due to my disability and being in a wheelchair. I hope

some time in the near future that that will change.

GStorrs46