JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Android EPub Reader help

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3595 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A sister in our hall was just gifted an Android tablet. She's looking for an app where she can have her EPub publications and highlight them/add notes, preferably a free one. I'm an iPad user so I'm not sure what to suggest to her. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

I tried the Mantano reader and found I couldn't highlight unless I got the paid version. We are using Moon-reader.

I would like to know more about the bells & whistles of the Mantano product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I highlighted with the free version of Mantano and made notes in the margins just fine. I went to the paid version for many reasons. Besides highlighting, you can underline with it and choose the color you want to use. You get colors with the free version also, but choices are limited. The paid version has a much better file structure then the free version and makes it easier to import the epub files and keep them organised. The free version is supported by ads and to me, it's worth the money to not be bothered. There are other advantages, but it's been a long time since I bought it and I don't remember them. :)

The only draw back with Moon Reader and epub files is that you cannot use the pen for margin notes or at least I haven't figured out how to. It is the only one that I know of where the Scriptures pop out rather than go to another page.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I really enjoy moon reader pro..one feature I like is you can choose the color of the background...mine is an ivory color which is easy on the eyes..also there are many font styles to choose from....In the settings I can choose the option to slide my finger up the right side of the screen to increase the font size..also..tap the bottom of the page to get a slide rule brightness feature..unlimited color choices for highlighting or underlining...typed notes are easily read..not tiny letters...so many features..I am 67 and not techy, but once you use this app or whichever one you choose you learn it..I really think Jehovah helps because he wants us to use these tools to stimulate interest in the territory!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

This is great stuff. You mentioned marginal notes. In moon reader free, a note shows up as a little yellow spot that I touch which in turn gets big so I can read it.

Is the pro version different?

How does the Montano product do it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Edited by palmhat

This is great stuff. You mentioned marginal notes. In moon reader free, a note shows up as a little yellow spot that I touch which in turn gets big so I can read it. Is the pro version different? How does the Montano product do it? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

The same, only better, in my opinion. However Moon Reader does a great job with the reference scriptures popping up in e-pub. Hoping that Mantano Reader catches up.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

The pop up of the scriptures on moon reader was the single feature that made me switch from pdf to epub

However, I miss the huge amount of editing possibilities of ezpdf... Also I don't like the way moon reader uses the note feature as I need to select something in order to get a note to work and sometimes this gets mixed up with the highlight (or underline)

Still waiting for the perfect product

The pop up of the scriptures on moon reader was the single feature that made me switch from pdf to epubHowever, I miss the huge amount of editing possibilities of ezpdf... Also I don't like the way moon reader uses the note feature as I need to select something in order to get a note to work and sometimes this gets mixed up with the highlight (or underline) Still waiting for the perfect product

Hi João ~ a sister was given a Kindle tablet..I don't know how old it is yet because we have to get together so I can see it..she knows nothing about mobile devices and wants me to help her...we have galaxy phone and tablet..so what I want to know..and maybe you can help..I saw on a blog that ezpdf is in the Kindle..is that the same as you describe here? I know that jw.org has mobi for downloading files..is that epub or pdf? If she selects epub is there an epub reader in the Amazon store..I want for her to be able to tap scriptures within the magazine instead of back and forth to JW Library app...(of course I will download that for her),,thanks for any help! SUNRAY

cat2_e0.gif

Hi João ~ a sister was given a Kindle tablet..I don't know how old it is yet because we have to get together so I can see it..she knows nothing about mobile devices and wants me to help her...we have galaxy phone and tablet..so what I want to know..and maybe you can help..I saw on a blog that ezpdf is in the Kindle..is that the same as you describe here? I know that jw.org has mobi for downloading files..is that epub or pdf? If she selects epub is there an epub reader in the Amazon store..I want for her to be able to tap scriptures within the magazine instead of back and forth to JW Library app...(of course I will download that for her),,thanks for any help! SUNRAY

Beth, tell the sister to go to the below link using the tablet. Then she should click on the links relative to the app's she wants. You can find moon reader there

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/essential-apps-for-the-amazon-kindle-fire-and-how-to-install-them

Tell me if anything doesn't work

:)

The pop up of the scriptures on moon reader was the single feature that made me switch from pdf to epubHowever, I miss the huge amount of editing possibilities of ezpdf... Also I don't like the way moon reader uses the note feature as I need to select something in order to get a note to work and sometimes this gets mixed up with the highlight (or underline) Still waiting for the perfect product

What I do to keep the notes from getting confused with highlighting is to pick a color for the notes and use it exclusively for notes. So in next weeks watchtower, I will highlight int the lessonTitle the word "Obey" in say light blue and place the beginning song # and the same for "Shepherds" for the closing song.

For the "How Would You Answer" I highlight the whole question or at least a few words with the same color, light blue.

For the light blue in all notes, I use the dark blue with the Alpha toned down. I have tried just highlighting the bullet points but it is hard to see the yellow star.

I also use Orange for highlighting all "Read" Scriptures.

I use the same scheme for all publications so there is little confusion as to what is highlighting and anotations.

What I do to keep the notes from getting confused with highlighting is to pick a color for the notes and use it exclusively for notes. So in next weeks watchtower, I will highlight int the lessonTitle the word "Obey" in say light blue and place the beginning song # and the same for "Shepherds" for the closing song.

For the "How Would You Answer" I highlight the whole question or at least a few words with the same color, light blue.

For the light blue in all notes, I use the dark blue with the Alpha toned down. I have tried just highlighting the bullet points but it is hard to see the yellow star.

I also use Orange for highlighting all "Read" Scriptures.

I use the same scheme for all publications so there is little confusion as to what is highlighting and anotations.

That's a good suggestion Lynn but the mix I saw referring to is when you want to place a note on the same place where you want to highlight... Some times the note pops up but other times the properties dialog box pops up.... That's the mix....

How do you do on those situations?

That's a good suggestion Lynn but the mix I saw referring to is when you want to place a note on the same place where you want to highlight... Some times the note pops up but other times the properties dialog box pops up.... That's the mix....

How do you do on those situations?

What I would do is delete the highlighting and then select the total area that you had highlighted and then select the note color and add your note. Two birds with one stone.

Beth, tell the sister to go to the below link using the tablet. Then she should click on the links relative to the app's she wants. You can find moon reader there

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/essential-apps-for-the-amazon-kindle-fire-and-how-to-install-them

Tell me if anything doesn't work

:)

Thanks João...I will try when I see her..but some of the reviews were not encouraging except Adiko..so does that mean Kindle does not come with an epub reader? And if she does get a reader...does she download mobi or epub from jw.org for epub? Thanks..you see this sister knows nothing about tablets!

cat2_e0.gif

I change the epub's to mobi for my sister in law. Anyone who wants something just PM me with your email address so I can send them to you. The links for the scriptures work and they are easy to download to your Kindle. When she downloads from jw.org she needs to download Mobi format.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thanks João...I will try when I see her..but some of the reviews were not encouraging except Adiko..so does that mean Kindle does not come with an epub reader? And if she does get a reader...does she download mobi or epub from jw.org for epub? Thanks..you see this sister knows nothing about tablets!

Yes kindle doesn't come with an epub reader pre instaled but its posible to install it later (alltough not through amazn store I think)

If she doesn't install any new app she should download mobi format from jw.org (standard format for kindle) otherwise she should download epub format (assuming epub is best than mobi)

But the best should be trying all the formats and choose what's best for her taste

Ok Friends..another sister helped by getting together and downloading moon reader from the Amazon store and she downloaded the 2 study Watchtowers for the next few weeks and the yearbook in epub! Thanks for helping me learn more about Kindles! Sunray

cat2_e0.gif

• 3 months later...

You know ezPDF? I have it on my iPad and do fine, but on my Nexus I am very frustrated. I bought the pro version but the Pen doesn't write, I can change color but it makes no marks, same with the highlighter, I change colors but the marker has a "?" on it and nothing happens. The other ones that work with long press or the icons will work, but only with the selecting text and it automatically puts it in. I can't change the color of either of them. I have deleted and reinstalled, I have deleted the books and reinstalled...nada! I can't see anyway to reformat anything. Like on my iPad it makes an annotating copy. Annoying but workable once I worked with it. But I can't see anything here to do that, and the automatic marking works so that throws me off.

If you know anything about this I would so appreciate your help.