JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3692 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Guy Hollis Pierce was born in Auburn, California, on November 6, 1934. He was baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses on August 14, 1955, at the age of 20. He married a fellow Witness, Penelope (Penny) Wong, on May 30, 1977, and the two raised a family together. Mr. and Mrs. Pierce became full-time Bible instructors (referred to by Witnesses as regular pioneers). Later, he became a traveling minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses, visiting congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses throughout the United States to provide spiritual encouragement to other full-time Bible instructors and local congregation members. In 1997, the Pierces were invited to work full-time at the United States branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses. On October 2, 1999, Mr. Pierce was announced as a new member of the Governing Body.Mr. Pierce was the chairman for the 129th annual meeting of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, on the weekend of October 5 and 6, 2013. A total audience of 1,413,676 in 31 countries attended the event either in person or via webcast. According to theWitnesses’ official website, this was the largest gathering of Jehovah’s Witnesses to date.In addition to his wife, Penny, Mr. Pierce is survived by his six children, several grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. He will also be fondly remembered by Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world whom he regarded as family.In a statement, his fellow members of the Governing Body commented on “his solid faith and firm stand for Jehovah’s laws and principles,” adding: “Our memories of his courageous and faithful earthly life course will continue to strengthen us for years to come.”Media Contact(s):International: J. R. Brown, Office of Public Information, tel. +1 718 560 5000

quote name="Musky" post="204695" timestamp="1395340089"]I think Penny was his second wife after he his first  one died, but I could be remembering wrong.

?? In the announcement it only mentions that he was married once - am I missing some infos???

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

Guy Hollis Pierce was born in Auburn, California, on November 6, 1934. He was baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses on August 14, 1955, at the age of 20. He married a fellow Witness, Penelope (Penny) Wong, on May 30, 1977, and the two raised a family together. Mr. and Mrs. Pierce became full-time Bible instructors (referred to by Witnesses as regular pioneers). Later, he became a traveling minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses, visiting congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses throughout the United States to provide spiritual encouragement to other full-time Bible instructors and local congregation members. In 1997, the Pierces were invited to work full-time at the United States branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses. On October 2, 1999, Mr. Pierce was announced as a new member of the Governing Body.Mr. Pierce was the chairman for the 129th annual meeting of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, on the weekend of October 5 and 6, 2013. A total audience of 1,413,676 in 31 countries attended the event either in person or via webcast. According to theWitnesses’ official website, this was the largest gathering of Jehovah’s Witnesses to date.In addition to his wife, Penny, Mr. Pierce is survived by his six children, several grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. He will also be fondly remembered by Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world whom he regarded as family.In a statement, his fellow members of the Governing Body commented on “his solid faith and firm stand for Jehovah’s laws and principles,” adding: “Our memories of his courageous and faithful earthly life course will continue to strengthen us for years to come.”Media Contact(s):International: J. R. Brown, Office of Public Information, tel. +1 718 560 5000

I think Penny was his second wife after he his first  one died, but I could be remembering wrong.

?? In the announcement it only mentions that he was married once - am I missing some infos???

You are correct in that the announcement only mentions one marriage. It does not, however, say that it was his first or his only.

You are correct in that the announcement only mentions one marriage. It does not, however, say that it was his first or his only.

As I said, I really don't remember. I used to have all those little details in my brain, but the years have diluted them! :)

I think I remember a post earlier saying he had two step-children...6 total...so maybe his wife had 2 when they were married.

Maybe someone can confirm.

Edited by Brenda

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

He's a good brother. Sad to see him go... but at least he's with our Creator and our King! I love the black sheep joke! That's hilarious.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Brother Pierce's first marriage was to Eva Mitchell in 1956.  She was previously married to Winston Phillips and had children from that marriage.  She died in 1990.  Guy and Eva divorced in March 1976 at Lake, CA.

A year later brother Pierce married Penelope Wong.  She had also been previously married and had children.  Her married name was Souang.

Penney was mentioned in the 12/1 2004 Watchtower article "Trusting in Jehovah's Loving Care."

"Throughout the years, Jim and I have found great joy in our Kingdom service. I fondly remember one Bible student, a young Chinese woman named Penny, who just loved to study the Bible. She was baptized and later married Guy Pierce, who now serves on the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Such dear ones have helped to fill the void caused by the loss of my parents."

Throughout the years, Jim and I have found great joy in our Kingdom service. I fondly remember one Bible student, a young Chinese woman named Penny, who just loved to study the Bible. She was baptized and later married Guy Pierce, who now serves on the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Such dear ones have helped to fill the void caused by the loss of my parents.

Recalling some spiritual jewels that Brother Guy Pierce shared with us.

Safeguard Your Spirituality by Training Your Perceptive Powers

1. Listen to Jehovah. Many think they know the answers, but they don’t even know the questions.

2. Study regularly, study deeply. We can be desensitized by what we see and hear, thinking it isn’t bad.

3. Do we spend pioneer time in front of the TV or computer, and token time in service? Psalms 119:37, ‘Make my eyes pass on from seeing what is worthless.’

4. Jesus is countless billions of years old … and one day we will be as old as Jesus is now, and he’ll only be twice our age.

5. The Bible is inspired of the Sovereign of the Universe. It’s a masterpiece, give it careful attention.

6. The reasons some give for not being at the meetings is the very reason why they need to be there.

7. Too busy because of the high cost of living, or living high? You can’t put enough money in the bank to get through Armageddon.

8. A couple of young brothers are going to a movie. When asked if it has bad language, they reply, ‘yes, but we hear it all the time in school.’ Do we want to pay to hear more? It should hurt our ears.

9. Every meeting is a holy, sacred occasion. Never be absent by choice.

10. Some are slowly losing the sense of urgency. We are in the heart and heat of a universal emergency. All in heaven have their attention focused on earth and what we are doing.

11. If we had the cure for cancer we would tell everyone? We DO have the cure for cancer, AIDS, and even death. People desperately need to hear. Our ministry is an extension of God’s love. When you talk with someone they are face to face with a representative of Jehovah God.

“Jehovah’s people never see each other for the last time”

- by Guy Pierce

We have now only 7 brothers in the GB... Is it the minimum number ever? Just curious....

Since 1971 when the term "Governing Body" appeared as a capitalized title in the December 15, 1971 Watchtower and defined as the group leading Jehovah's Witnesses (prior to that the term had been used always in lower case) the number on the GB has ranged from 7 to 18.  When the "Proclaimers" book came out in 1993 there were 12 and these have all died (cf p. 116).

Brother Herd is now the senior member being only 4 months younger that Guy Pierce.  D. Mark Sanderson is the youngest at 48.

Here is a picture of the current members as of March 27, 2014.

post-4350-0-31286700-1395924817_thumb.jp