JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For Banana Tree Lovers

Pallen

I have a Banana tree as a hobby.  Are there any other Banana tree growers among us?

I recently took my Super Dwarf Cavendish(SDC) out of the pot and put in the ground. It is now too big for the house and the corm and stalk will have a better chance of not freezing over the wither if it is in the ground rather than in a pot. I also am placing a PVC greenhouse over it. I fully expect the leaves will not survive the freezes but I do hope at least the thicker part of the stalk will survive for a quicker recuperation next spring. Here is my blog I keep on its growth from the pup it used to be July 2013 when my wife bought it for me. 

Here is the latest picture of my Super Dwarf Cavendish banana tree

IMG_20140926_124618.jpg

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

The place where I live, we are normally served food on this leaves.the whole of the state eats food on this leaf.in every hotel we are served food on this leaf.

So imagine how many trees we would be seeing .

Sent from my LG-E988

Edited by dilip kumar

Around her in zone 8b we do not see them often. I have only seen a couple out in service. In the front yards and visible anyway. They take some extra care to keep at least the corm and perhaps some of the P-stem from freezing over the winter.

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

Paul, as a gardener I appreciate your enthusiasm! I love this Dwarf. He's wonderful. I hope your PVC and plastic last through the winter.

Here on the coast I cannot even pretend it'd be ok. I wanted to keep my lettuce patch growing under a wooden surround and corrugated plastic sloped roof. But the wind would tear it up  something awful. This year (even as as speak) Lew is building me a gardeners shed, 6x9. I'm so excited. If I had this I could do more tender plants and winter them over in the shed. Next year for that. 

But as far as the banana plant I think he's wonderful, in Eugene he has more heat for a stronger plant. I really hope he winters' over. You'll have to add to this thread as the winter progresses so I can keep up on him, K? I'm pushing "follow" right now.

Oh, is that raspberries or grapes behind him?

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Thanks for your words.  I may indeed have to put heavier plastic on it.  I used what I already have on hand.  I think I have it anchored down pretty good with tent stakes and wire.  I will be sure to update.

Those are Concord grapes and a plum tree in back.  Want some? They are both ripe.  The plums are very ripe and some are getting a twang to them ;)  I expect the Black Birds to start flying funny anytime now.  ;)

Oh goodness I sure wish I was closer to you to get some!! It's my goal to plant grapes and raspberries as well as trained blackberries. I'm pretty good at plunking away in the garden in the evenings, I like to putter. So to groom blackberries or raspberries would be a good hobby for me.

Lew said I could plant around the new shed next year. One side is on the South and one on the West so I'm thinking tomatoes and cucumbers climbing. I have access to glass window panes so he's trying to figure out how to make a sort-of green house for me. He's a logger not a carpenter! But he's making me proud of him. His effort and success in this building is a source of pride for him.

Tell me about your grapes, are they hard to grow, is there anything I should know? Being in nearly the same growing region as you I can adapt my methods if I had a basis to go on. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

We use the grape vine as a hedge to separate our little personal yard space so we do not trim it every year.  We still get plenty of grapes, all we do is water and keep it from taking over the plum tree as the vines REALLY like to travel and climb.

My Wife Kathy would love to tame some blackberrys...if that is even possible.  The problem is that they like to take over spreading from the root and popping up all over... at least here in the valley.  Do you have a variety we should know about?  We have considered growing some in a pot, just do not let it hang over and touch the ground or the battle can be quickly lost.

I have to do my research but I do know it can be contained. I've known people (in years past) who've done it. I just have to put on my thinking cap and remember, which I will. We have a thriving colony of blackberries in the back yard and I'd like to take cuttings from them to make my personal garden spot of them. So when I get that figured out I'd be happy to share. A sister here and I share cuttings and seeds so she has raspberries she's going to get me started on next year. Look forward to that. 

I have seeds for a big green zucchini that looks like a green pumpkin (let me know if you want seeds)! And I have a seed bulb for yellow bulb zucchini, it is FABULOUS to eat, my pups find a piece I'd drop on the floor and they race to see who'll get it first! I can also share seeds from this too if you want. I have several sisters who share my passion and we share seeds and cuttings so it's not so expensive to be adventurous with different produce. I'm also going to save seed from my spaghetti squash, let me know if you want them too. Right now I have 22 in the yard, all getting yellow and almost ready to pick.

Ok, here's the squashes I have. If you want seeds from these let me know. These are organic and unaltered. And very delicious I might add!! The big one that looks like a pumpkin is actually a zucchini!! Yep a zucchini!!

post-1083-0-32500400-1412304015_thumb.jp

Edited by bagwell1987

Now I know who to visit after the GT.  I did lots of research on a banana plant but for us it would have to be indoors since our climate is a bit too snowy and cold for tropical fruit outdoors.  My attempts at indoor mango plants died when my "three seasons" porch got a tad too cold last year. :(  So I didn't want to risk buying the seeds for the banana plants to attempt indoor growth.

But thanks for sharing the pics.  I want you to know that I will be first in line to sample the bananas you grow...(after your family of course)

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

My son planted many in Cebu in the Philippines ....tropical grows like a weed there .

They had a party for the congregation and the table was covered with banana leaves ....lovely touch !

Hope your baby survives . The door guy is quit a green thumb his garden is very productive ! Urban Gardner he is!!

Now I know who to visit after the GT.  I did lots of research on a banana plant but for us it would have to be indoors since our climate is a bit too snowy and cold for tropical fruit outdoors.  My attempts at indoor mango plants died when my "three seasons" porch got a tad too cold last year. :(  So I didn't want to risk buying the seeds for the banana plants to attempt indoor growth.

But thanks for sharing the pics.  I want you to know that I will be first in line to sample the bananas you grow...(after your family of course)

I was thinking the same thing!  A very handy brother to know in times of food shortages! Except, maybe I'll have to find someone closer over here in Oz.  But I have a new pot of basil to share, if anyone wants :laugh:

Ok, here's the squashes I have. If you want seeds from these let me know. These are organic and unaltered. And very delicious I might add!! The big one that looks like a pumpkin is actually a zucchini!! Yep a zucchini!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20141002_1929291 (634 x 845).jpg

Wow! Zucchinis that look like pumpkins!  What do your pumpkins look like, I wonder?

Ha, ha, ha Lucy! They look like pumpkins! HOWEVER I was visiting a sister's garden and she had a HUGE, and I mean HUGE gourd- edible grayish- gourd weighing in about 70 pounds. She said she hacked it up, put it in the oven and roasted it and froze the roasted meat. She said it was tasty! I'm getting more of her seeds, like ones above, and grow them myself next year.  

It'll be worth the wait for the pictures!  How nice to be able to eat something "edible" from your own garden.  

My attempts are edible alright, the snails have munched right through them!  Still, I think my pots of cherry tomatoes may make it this year :praying:

Escargot, yum! :)

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 4 weeks later...

Paul's Banana Plantation Blog: I added a peak roof to my plant shelter

Well my structure held up well in its rather protected location against the last wind storm we had Oct 25th with 36 MPH with 45 MPH gusts. As expected my flat topped cover started collecting water on top and I got tired of dumping it. So I took a queue from Olafhenny and put a peak on it today using 8 - 1" PVC T's. I got it mostly done when it started raining. I will get back to it and finish the ends in between showers. 

I also now have a 200W Lasko 102 heater on a 35-45 F Farm Innovators Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet ready for when we get freezing weather. I am doing all I can so my SDC is healthy and ready to take off this coming spring.
DSCN2472.JPGDSCN2473.JPG

Paul's Banana Plantation Blog: Added a peak roof to my plant shelter

Edited by Pallen

I thought bananas grew on what is officially an herb stalk-according to an Awake article a few... ago. :shrugs::shutup:

Yep you are correct, although called a banana tree, their stalk is not of wood but is a pseudostem(P-stem) made of stalks to the leaves. The leaves as said above by others are mighty fine to use as cooking herbs. I have never tried them and I do not know if the cavendish variety would even be good to cook with.  But as far as the banana fruit go's, it is one of the finest fruits in all of the earth's creation in this mans, and many others opinions.   

And it was the 20013 March 22 Awake that you read A Visit to a Banana Plantation.

Edited by Pallen