JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

I agree that the scale is over-emphasized.  Truth is bone density and muscle mass have to be in the equation.  I wonder about grain foods.  Wheat and bread were mentioned so often in the bible, but today wheat is not so healthy.  Probably because of the GMO's that you mentioned.

So, in the new system, we are going to eat those carbs back!

:bouncing:

Only that 4? Potato, Carrot, Olive Oil and Pineapple?  :o

How he did it?  :wacko:

There are you youtubes on potato and carrot diets, but I am not sure if the Doctor from PR has a youtube up. I tried it for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't going to work for me for two months. I'm doing basically the vegetable and fruit smoothies. Today I had one rice cake with cottage cheese. The rest of my meals will be smoothies, b/c i am on such a high level of steroids for breathing. I haven't lost weight, but I stopped gaining.

There are you youtubes on potato and carrot diets, but I am not sure if the Doctor from PR has a youtube up. I tried it for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't going to work for me for two months. I'm doing basically the vegetable and fruit smoothies. Today I had one rice cake with cottage cheese. The rest of my meals will be smoothies, b/c i am on such a high level of steroids for breathing. I haven't lost weight, but I stopped gaining.

Hang in there, as gaining weight puts more stress on your body, which makes you require more oxygen. Praying for all of you, who are trying to maintain til the end!

Using this afternoon to make no carb-low carb dishes for the week!  I started the Atkins Plan on Tuesday and am down 3.8 lbs so far.  I think if I just wrap my mind around this being a change in my thinking and eating I can make this work.  After all, I had to change my thinking and my actions once I started learning about Jehovah.  I would have setbacks at time with my thinking--thus causing the actions to follow so now I will just realize my thinking towards food needs to change too.  No more crazy thinking like I will just skip food all day so I can have a double dip ice cream cone for supper with a side of milkshake!  LOL.  Yeah, the dirty little secret is out.  I could live off sweets.  But now they will be a treat and not a staple.

I found some excellent recipes on Pintrest under the no carb low carb recipes. 

I am bagging up scrambled eggs with sausage and bell peppers into sandwich baggies now.  I cooked 16 hamburger patties last night and placed two per bag and will divide today for Rick and myself.  I plan on buying him a Fitbit Surge also and get him included.  He said he wanted to do this too. 

What are you guys having for your no carb/low carb meals?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Anybody here join fatsecret.com? And, anybody here ever try intermittent fasting?

What do you mean by intermediate fasting?  A lot of people use the word fast incorrectly.   Some people talk about a juice fast or a water fast.  A juice fast would actually mean abstaining from juices.  A water fast would mean abstaining from water.  What is actually meant, instead of juice fast, is a juice diet, instead of water fast they mean a fast that allows for drinking water.  

FAST definition: firmly fixed (roots fast in the ground), tightly shut (the drawers were fast), adhering firmly, not easily freed :  stuck (a ball fast in the mouth of the cannon), stable (movable items were made fast to the deck), firmly loyal (became fast friends), securely attached (a rope fast to the wharf), tenacious (a fast hold on her purse)

Several years ago I studied about a science originally called Hygiene.  This science was started about 200 years ago mostly by doctors who became dissatisfied with the medical profession.  They began to realize that people that they did not treat recovered better than the ones that got medical treatment.  One of them gave a speech before Congress about Hygiene and it is part of the Congressional Record.

The medical treatment of the time consisted of bleeding, blistering, and such practices.  The Hygienists of the time believed that health could be better maintained by giving your body what it needs to be healthy.  Some of their recommendations included 1) GOOD AIR, 2) PURE WATER (distilled),3)  COMFORTABLE BODY TEMPERATURE, 4) INTERNAL CLEANLINESS, 5) SLEEP , 6) PROPER FOOD, 7) EXERCISE, 8) SUNSHINE (before 10 AM and after 4PM in summer),  9) PLAY & RECREATION, 10) REST & RELAXATION - Meditation & Cogitation, 11) MENTAL POISE (maintain equilibrium & do not become emotionally upset.), 12) SECURITY OF LIFE AND ITS MEANS, 13) CREATIVE WORK, 14) SELF MASTERY - you will lose self esteem if you lose self mastery.,15)  PEER INTERACTION - group interaction, 16) EXPRESSION OF REPRODUCTIVE INSTINCT, 17) LOVE, APPRECIATION, ESTEEM - both give & receive these., 18) APPRECIATION OF BEAUTY,           19) NEED TO BE INSPIRED & MOTIVATED (must have purpose in life.)

The medical system said that these things were unimportant.  Finally, about 100 years ago they accepted the Hygienic view that cleanliness was important but still rejected everything else.  They called this washing, hygiene.  Over the past the medical system has slowly accepted more and more of what the original science of Hygiene has said was true.  They have given no credit to the science of Hygiene.  In the United States the name was changed from Hygiene to Natural Hygiene to try to avoid confusion.  The diet they generally propose is a lot like what God told Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

One of the things the early Hygienists noticed was that when people became sick they lost their appetite.  This led them to consider fasting.  They had, and still have fasting clinics around the world.  They do not recommend long fasts without supervision because our bodies are so toxic due to poor eating habits that a long fast is contraindicated.  Care must be taken.  The general recommendation is to fast no longer than 3 days.

I am not going to say that everything the hygienists have taught is necessarily true but they do seem to have some good ideas.

I started this post talking about fasting but got off on a tangent.  Anyway, there are several good books on fasting such as, "Fasting can Save Your Life" and others.

I made these incrediable little things of beauty today.  I took 3 lbs of Philidelphia Cream Cheese, juice from two lemons, 32 ozs of sour cream and enough Splenda to make it sweet (about 1 1/2 Cups) and approx 1/3 c of heavy whipping cream then beat it in my electric mixer about 10 mins on high till it was light and fluffly.  Then you drop it onto cookie sheet lined with parchement paper and place them in the freezer for several hours to freeze.  Next put 3, or 4 or 5 into a zip lock baggie and you have an amazing almost carb free dessert that tastes like ,,hold on, C_H_E_E_S_E_C_A_K_E!  I think you could add some sugar free Monin syrup -so many flavors- and change the flavor of these little delights!  Now since I am making a variety of things no-low carb it has been fun to do this Atkins. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I am asking about intermittent fasting, not intermediate... :o

There's a lot of talk about this fasting in ketogenic diet.. I am asking out of curiosity... It sounds appealing but I don't want to step into something I'm not sure about...

Either I misspelled the word or this tablet changed the spelling. I am not sure which. This tablet messes up a lot of words for me. I do much better when I post from the computer.

I thought you were the one that was getting sick from missing meals. Fasting would seem to be contraindicated in your case. Unless you define fasting differently than I do. Fasting, to me, means abstaining from food. Water is allowed to avoid dehydration. What some people call a juice fast (they drink only juices) to me would be a juice diet. A juice fast would indicate abstaining from juices.

I made these incrediable little things of beauty today.  I took 3 lbs of Philidelphia Cream Cheese, juice from two lemons, 32 ozs of sour cream and enough Splenda to make it sweet (about 1 1/2 Cups) and approx 1/3 c of heavy whipping cream then beat it in my electric mixer about 10 mins on high till it was light and fluffly.  Then you drop it onto cookie sheet lined with parchement paper and place them in the freezer for several hours to freeze.  Next put 3, or 4 or 5 into a zip lock baggie and you have an amazing almost carb free dessert that tastes like ,,hold on, C_H_E_E_S_E_C_A_K_E!  I think you could add some sugar free Monin syrup -so many flavors- and change the flavor of these little delights!  Now since I am making a variety of things no-low carb it has been fun to do this Atkins. 

Lo fat Cool Whip, spread on graham crackers, and frozen makes some pretty tasty cookies.         :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So, in the new system, we are going to eat those carbs back!

In the new system we will have plenty of exercise and all the other good things our body needs. Work today sometimes involves hours of sitting in front of a computer. This makes us tired so that we get home and do not feel like doing much.

Planting a vineyard and a garden and then tending to our vineyard, garden, and fruit trees will be far more enjoyable work and also far more productive.

• 2 weeks later...

for me my best weight loss happens when I have around 75-100 grams carbs in the way of veggies and I have full fat buttered coffee (bulletproof coffee). You can check out www.buttered-coffee.com I Have around 3-4 tablespoons of grass fed butter (we use german butter or kerry gold unsalted) and add about 2 tablespoons coconut oil and use both XCT and MCT oil in my coffee, since I like a little sweet I add cinnamon and erythritol just a little. Blend it all and I have that in the morning sometimes I add collagen protein. If not I eat sardines in olive oil not soybean Or eggs with an avocado. My husband does just the bp coffee then we eat grass fed beef, pork or fish for lunch and dinner. We do eat some cheese even though on the bulletproof program he does not recommend it. And at night we have some dark chocolate a square sometimes 2.

You can read more on the website above.

We feel great doing this.

for those concerned about eggs and high fat I would recommend along with the other books previously mentioned to watch cereal killers you'll have to google it. Like some of the others mentioned it is eye-opening.

anyway just wanted to share what we have the best success with.

you can also search Abel james who has a similar program and recipes.

We have also made the ice cream recipe on bulletproof site the link above and it's delicious.

I don't really like the taste of bulletproof coffee, but I know it can boost the fat that I need... Later, I find out there's people who add eggs and whipped ream which turns out to be yummy! However, I always make the coffee in the morning and consume it later at lunch to break my fasting, so leaving the coffee with eggs in few hours somehow change the taste... Now, I only add whipped cream to the bulletproof coffee, and I like it!  :crush:

:bouncing:

My wife got a book entitled, "The Fast Metabolism Diet." I lost some weight but the food my wife was buying cost $600.00 in one month. That was just groceries for two (2) of us. Then I stopped losing weight. So,I switched over to the Atkins diet and lost some more weight. I knew something was not going fight. I did not feel the same as I did the first time I did Atkins. My wife was trying to make all kinds of salads instead of just plain salad. After losing several pounds I again stopped losing. The first time on Atkins I never stopped losing as long as I followed the plan. I started having a lot of pain, possibly diverticulitis (I found out I had diverticulitis about 3 years ago) When I stopped losing weight and started having pain I started eating regular again. It is hard to follow any diet because does not believe in following instructions. The Atkins diet would work if I were doing it myself without interference. I plan to just eat natural, unprocessed foods for a while, watch my portions and exercise and try to lose weight than way.

I'm Diabetic and if you really truly want to control your blood sugar them the only way is by cutting out not only sugar but cars as well. ..In fact carbs make my blood sugars spike far more.

Yes you will loose weight healthily. Wheat/Gluten is one of the most inflamitory causing foods there is.

These days I only eat sugar and carb free but most importantly unprocessed. ..basically the way we should eat !!

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

My journey with this cancer, has been really educational. Learning about the lymph system and how it is the garbage disposal at work in you, another pat on the back for how wonderfully we are made. While I was going the chemo route, 3 rounds, my diet was non-existent. I ate whatever little piece of food that would assuage my hunger at the moment, (cottage cheese w/ black pepper made a handy supper) then back to the couch, and sleep. In the process I lost body fat. From a 14-16 size slacks, to a size 12. The amazing thing is, I feel so much better! Still having tired feelings, but the radiation is all done, as of 2 weeks ago, so I can get my walk  in (about a mile) 4- 7 times per week. HAVE TO! Weight creeping back up.    :(

Have read, and heard that body fat is toxic to your whole body, it actually becomes like another organ in your body!  And I do believe that is true, considering how I feel, physically. I even lost almost a half shoe size!

So, fat makes you fatter!!!!!

I can attest that Atkins works! about every 4 weeks take a Saturday and splurge on carbs it helps kick it back in. Recent Medical Journals have stated it is the best life style eating change a person can make to lower Cholesterol. I don't call it a diet when you can go eat a 26" filet or Ribeye Steak.

I can attest that Atkins works! about every 4 weeks take a Saturday and splurge on carbs it helps kick it back in. Recent Medical Journals have stated it is the best life style eating change a person can make to lower Cholesterol. I don't call it a diet when you can go eat a 26" filet or Ribeye Steak.

That may work but it really isn't a balanced diet

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.