JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

Reduced my cholesterol by 28 points  (mostly triglycerides,) since going low carb. I was pre-diabetic, previously, and last blood test borderline, but not quite in normal range. Just had a blood test which I hope will put me in that target (normal) range. Feeling so much better.

Back when I did low carb (Atkins) years ago it worked very well. My wife and I were working different hours and I was able to fix my own breakfast and lunch (for work). I lost 5 pounds per week. Since my wife and I retired I have been unable to do the low carb thing since it upsets my wife's digestion.

My last blood test showed my cholesterol was slightly high and my triglycerides were up. They recommended a low carb diet, no sugar diet for me. So I guess I will be doing low carb again. My wife will just have to eat slightly different meals so that her digestion is not adversely affected.

She can eat the oatmeal for breakfast while I have my eggs.

How many years ago did you do Atkins, Brother Randall?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my latest. I love Reuben sandwiches but you know...the bread thing. So I've been pan searing a cabbage steak, turn once then add 2 cups homemade sauerkraut on top and the sliced corned beef on the side of the pan. Cover till just 180 degrees. Add swiss cheese and top with 2 tbs homemade thousand island dressing. Plate full of goodness. 

Well I like to switch things up so today I had the one above for breakfast (6:30 am) and it held me till 3pm when I had this plate of incredibleness:

I steamed broccoli in the pan first, just a little, then added a teaspoon of butter, pushed the broccoli to the side added a cabbage steak, turned it over added my corned beef and pepperjack this time then covered. Plated it with 2 tbs of dressing.

Oh sweet cabbage this was good! Amazing! Delicious! Incredible! 

I was thinking it might taste kind of hoakie with pepperjack but nope, nada....it's one I'll do a lot more of. That's good because I have 2 gallons of broccoli heads! 

These are smaller 1950's melamine plates, I like them for portion control, and they're cute.

plate.jpg

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Here's one you have to try, it's amazing. It's no gluten not necessarily all low carb. 

I modified it to fit what I had and how we eat. Tamari is a no gluten soy but all I had was soy sauce. But it's only a couple TBS for 6 dinners so that's not bad. Oh so good.

Spicy Chicken Noodle.pdf

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Tracey,

Is the above vegetable....brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon?

Looks really good...need to try that...pronto.

So sorry about delay... I thought I was following this thread but apparently I missed a step on my handheld!

Yes brussel sprouts sautéed with bacon!

It's time for me to whip up another batch. I did some last Sunday die for hospitality and this ee21224d7bc14269aa6e52af562ea378.jpg pork fest!

Did you make brussel sprouts with bacon yet? You won't regret!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was told recently that I should go on a low-carb diet. I did a low-carb diet years ago and I lost weight. But Ann and I were working different hours and I was fixing my own meals. After Ann and I both retired, I found out that if I did a low-carb diet that it affected Ann's digestion negatively. I avoided low-carb diets because of Ann. Recently, I finally got it through to Ann that, when I was on a low-carb diet, she had to eat differently so as not to upset her digestion. I have now lost 12 pounds in about two weeks. I am avoiding starches, bread, and sugar. But Ann can eat what she wants. So she cooked herself a large chocolate cake, and when she finished that, she cooked a large batch of chocolate chip cookies. She has a pack of brownies she is going to cook next.

On March 1, 2016 at 6:25 AM, timpin said:

On March 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Miss Mouse said:

Skeptical  :( 

On March 2, 2016 at 1:18 PM, bagwell1987 said:

But researching. 

for $33 a month I thought it might give extra incentive to stop eating after dinner - especially after coming home from mid-week meeting night  !

http://www.collagendiet.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Calorad-Classic

just looking to see if anyone else has tried it and has positive results?

Edited by timpin

I have the page on my computer since you first posted this. Have you tried it at all? I do like what I'm reading, and didn't Dr. OZ say something? I'm still thinking....

Classic or Advanced - not sure yet   ...  http://www.collagendiet.com/store/index.php?app=cms&ns=display&ref=faqs    ...   can't find Dr Oz info? - did you?  

http://www.collagendiet.com/store/?app=cms&ns=display&ref=faq2    Interesting info!

...not suggesting, just looking (remember last weeks WT)

Edited by timpin

• 2 weeks later...

I did the research Tim, I found it very interesting. I even talked with the fellow who has been selling this and taking it for decades.  He sounded true and not at all like a salesman. He was more interested in helping me understand the products than sales. He actually sells to markets and distributors by the case. However to help people to understand and benefit, he sells on a small scale by ones and two's. He didn't want to prevent anyone from getting it.  

There are 2 products, first is Agrisept, an effective natural antibiotic that helps heal yeast overgrowth in the body. It makes sense to kill off bad bacteria first. Then Calorad. All natural and collagen based. Bovine and Marine. The info is on this site  http://www.calorad123.com/ .

As someone who eats bone broth I can understand what's being described. 

With a low carb diet anything healthy can help.

Did u order/try yet?          -         I think Wendy is still skeptical   ...   Tracey, Nancee, Randall, Pauline      ?

if we're slimmer, more of us can fit when we go to our interior rooms during the GT!

Edited by timpin

I tried a similar liquid collagen  years ago, but didn't see much difference in my health.  I had stayed on weight watchers and worked for them (lecturer/leader) for many years. I really started puffing up when I developed asthma and took lots of steroids.  I have tried low carb off and on since doc atkins published his first book when I was about 12. I decided to try low carb again when I retired (due to illness) last year. It takes a long time for me to lose weight on low carb, but eventually it does kick in. Right now I feel that low carb is easiest for me to follow. I don't take supplements. MY physical therapist thinks I am underweight and should put on some muscle.  I agree with the second part. My health has improved dramatically since I left a job that was killing me. I think my BMI is 22, which is about average. I was up to about 24 bmi, I believe. Anyway, I am working just with diet and exercise, and iron and b-12 from my doc due to my life long anemia, regardless of which program I was following. I'm not good at taking supplements regularly. I am no longer on any steroids, except the small inhaler.

On March 12, 2016 at 4:56 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I did the research Tim, I found it very interesting. I even talked with the fellow who has been selling this and taking it for decades.  He sounded true and not at all like a salesman. He was more interested in helping me understand the products than sales. He actually sells to markets and distributors by the case. However to help people to understand and benefit, he sells on a small scale by ones and two's. He didn't want to prevent anyone from getting it.  

There are 2 products, first is Agrisept, an effective natural antibiotic that helps heal yeast overgrowth in the body. It makes sense to kill off bad bacteria first. Then Calorad. All natural and collagen based. Bovine and Marine. The info is on this site  http://www.calorad123.com/ .

As someone who eats bone broth I can understand what's being described. 

With a low carb diet anything healthy can help.

Cheryl I need to talk to you about this ......Im wondering if it will help my skin issues.  

Tim were all looking for the magic elixir  and I think being that we're all different and what works for you may not for another!  I've spent oodles on my health ..... Eat really healthy, try to exercise and yet I'm still suffering from Adamitus :(

Pauline your story sounds like mine in many ways..... Wish you lived closer lol 

I decided to do the Agrisept first, am going to order tomorrow. With my cleansing diet in force for 10 days now I feel better and ready for the next event which is a kidney/colon cleanse over the weekend. I think I'm off to a good enough start, the gut is healing, less bloating and smaller, ready for juice, bone broth and veg for 2 days.

Tracey, Wendy and you all, I found for me having oatmeal with raisins or juice sweetened cranberries for breakfast fits me, (but I hear the sausage with egg and cheese biscuit with hash browns calling me) then at 11 am it's a stirfry with broccoli/pea pods/3 kinds of cabbage and carrot fried in a bit of butter and about 3 oz of meat fill me up till the next day.

Low carb is good, but all the protein isn't good for me. So I do low carb and have carrot and cabbage to balance it all out. And the cravings are lessening- chip cravings not sugar cravings.

Tracey- I AM, AM, AM having a steak on the BBQ shortly after! I will be taking pictures of this momentous event, I love a good steak and Tracey make his look so good I have to try to make mine look as good. With a hot horseradish sauce of course! 

I decided to do the Agrisept first, am going to order tomorrow. With my cleansing diet in force for 10 days now I feel better and ready for the next event which is a kidney/colon cleanse over the weekend. I think I'm off to a good enough start, the gut is healing, less bloating and smaller, ready for juice, bone broth and veg for 2 days.

Tracey, Wendy and you all, I found for me having oatmeal with raisins or juice sweetened cranberries for breakfast fits me, (but I hear the sausage with egg and cheese biscuit with hash browns calling me) then at 11 am it's a stirfry with broccoli/pea pods/3 kinds of cabbage and carrot fried in a bit of butter and about 3 oz of meat fill me up till the next day.

Low carb is good, but all the protein isn't good for me. So I do low carb and have carrot and cabbage to balance it all out. And the cravings are lessening- chip cravings not sugar cravings.

Tracey- I AM, AM, AM having a steak on the BBQ shortly after! I will be taking pictures of this momentous event, I love a good steak and Tracey make his look so good I have to try to make mine look as good. With a hot horseradish sauce of course! 

Don't fear good fat!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Miss Mouse said:

Cheryl I need to talk to you about this ......Im wondering if it will help my skin issues.  

Tim were all looking for the magic elixir  and I think being that we're all different and what works for you may not for another!  I've spent oodles on my health ..... Eat really healthy, try to exercise and yet I'm still suffering from Adamitus :(

Pauline your story sounds like mine in many ways..... Wish you lived closer lol 

TWO late nights back to back coming up - Memorial and Mid-week meeting, time for me to order one of his combos too, thanks   ...   https://www.facebook.com/JBHealthCenterForWellness 

Edited by timpin

Brussel sprouts w/ bacon? Oh yeah. If you saute some scallion, in the bacon grease from the bacon you have cooked to the crisp stage, remove the bacon,  toss in the brussel sprouts, with a small amount of chicken broth, and simmer covered until the sprouts are almost tender. they do carry over, so be cautious.