JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

I am type 2 diabetic. My blood sugar was high for years and getting no help at surgery. I was told I would be on Metformin and statins within the next 6 months. Did research and went low-carb and lost weight and balanced my blood sugars and a retinal bleed behind one eye resolved and the tingling feeling in my feet resolved.  I bought a blood sugar meter and 2 hours after every meal checked how it spiked my blood sugar and acted accordingly. I was very low carb at first, but as I lost weight and used up the overfilled liver - fat stores, my pancreas unclogged and some of it started functioning again and I could up the carbs a little. Type 1 diabetics are totally different - I cannot speak for that auto-immune problem.

I was doing really well on it and learned a lot on the way. Now the British Diabetic Association, now called Diabetes UK recommends this diet with a 10 week online course and forum for swapping ideas and recipes and encouragement. 102, 000 have been on it and all have done well. Quit a few thousand Type 2 diabetics have managed, with compliant doctors/nutritionists, to wean off their meds and are controlling their blood sugar without the need of them and are feeling far better than they ever did.

Things I learned along the way: 

80% bad cholesterol and fats are made by the liver via eating too much or inflammatory carbohydrates that the body doesn't burn so are stored as triglycerides in visceral fat cells that are active and inflammatory in giving off toxins into the guts.

There's a lot of old dodgy science about cholesterol. Statins don't discriminate between the good useful stuff and the bad stuff. I you have had heart problems or a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, then doctors definately recommend that you take them, but when you get to a good cholesterol level, wean off them. Only go back on them if the level goes very high again. Reason is because we need cholesterol - It's what our brain is mostly made of. Our cells use cholesterol as a component in the conversion of sunlight UVB rays to make vitamin D in our bodies, so don't continuously take statins until you are eating into the necessary cholesterol you need to keep functioning. Side effects of statins - aching limbs and mental fogging happens when the statins are eating into the body-cells' needed supplies.

Cancer proliferates in the presence of glucose, anaerobically (without needing oxygen like normal cells). Cancer cells do this by developing many more glucose receptors than normal cells, so it makes sense to be on a low carb diet when you are having cancer treatment. Sadly, many oncologists have not learned this new fact yet and still recommend sufferers, especially children, put on weight before serious treatment by eating lots of cake, ice-cream, etc and then wonder why the cancer suddenly accelerates. Children who did not follow this advice, but went low-carb, are often among the long-term survivors doing far better. Logic should have taught oncologists better, after all, how do they scan for cancer if not by injecting radioactive glucose into the patient and seeing where it goes, gathers and is detected being used the quickest?

Many so-called 'sugar-free' sweeteners that come in grain form are bulked out with Maltodextrin -cheap grain sugar = high carbohydrate, so are actually useless to a diabetic and Diabetes UK now no longer recommend them even though they were once sponsored by such companies. There are certain sweeteners that destroy the Microbiome in the gut that helps our digestion and makes many of our vitamins. Stevia without extra bulking with disguised sugars is what Diabetes UK recommends, drops are best and just certain grain style stevia without malto-dextrin are recommended.

Intermittent fasting is not so good for diabetics nor women - need doctor's advice about that. Women are designed to compensate under food stress, just in case they are pregnant or nursing, so can start eating into their muscle proteins - turning them into glucose earlier and dissoving minerals from bones and teeth, without the earlier warning side effects than men experience.

Many diabetics suffer dawn phenomena - High Blood sugar/insulin in the morning. Waking up needs cortisol and if you aren't well, it spikes too high sometimes and over-activates the insulin + liver and stored glucose can get dumped into the system, so if that's the case, then it's not good to stress the system with any carbs in the morning. If you can handle a little oats later, without insulin or blood sugar spikes, then soak a table-spoon or 2 in water for a few hours and cook it before bedtime to keep night-time hungers off and calm you with oats vitamin B's for nerves ( Porridge = Scotsman's Prozac). I have eggs/bacon/veggies in the morning or berries and yoghurt.

Best thing I ever bought was a spiralizer off ebay - like a big pencil sharpener. I turn zucchini/courgettes into green spaghetti,  so I am not eating stodgy wheat -flour pasta with the tomato+veg base sauce, cheese  sauces or pesto.

Tracey, that looks so perfect. If someone doesn't smoke meats it's hard to understand it's not burnt on top but a dark "bark" and it's delicious.

A brother here wants to have some folks here and me to make a prime rib after we get back from RC. I'm not crazy about prime rib so much as I'd like to do steak. I love a good ribeye. There is everything to love about this video. I think I'd finish the recipe with sauteed asparagus or maybe fried cabbage. Oh wow, ummmm

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Ummm, Tracey that looks good.

I made beef ribs in the pressure cooker today, took off the meat and combined it with sauteed onion/pepper/mushroom and a bit of rice (not low carb) and topped with 1 1/2 oz swiss. Philly cheese steak-like. 

Then I did make a lo-carb spaghetti squash pizza casserole- squash, marinara, mozzarella,  mushroom/olive/onion/sausage topped with more mozzarella.  1/2 is more than enough for a meal. 

Monday's I cook for us for 3 or 4 days. That way when I go to meeting tomorrow MH can just warm up something already cooked. And I don't have to worry about what my kitchen will look like when I get home!:uhhuh:

Philly cheese.jpg

Spa. pizza.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...

Randall,

Just curious, how does your wife eat?

P.S. I eat low carbohydrate...me, myself and I.

P.S.S. Did low carb get to monotonous?

If so, I can understand...I look forward

to the new world when food will just be

there for us....we won't have to overthink

it, like we do now.:lol:

Edited by nanceebgd46

I have been "going low carb" for over a year. Lost some pounds the first coupla months. Went from pre-diabetic to normal. Tachycardia gone. Got off of almost all steroids, and stopped looking at the face of Wade Boggs in my mirror every morning. Hdl very high and all lipid ratios normal, except that LDL still higher that I would like.  I have been prescribed statins, but am trying vitamins, instead.  My Primary doc says my weight is fine, my Physical therapist says I need to gain weight. Like most American women, I would still like to lose a few pounds, hoping that it would have impact on that dreaded LDL level.  Might try that spoonful of Oatmeal at bedtime.  Not sure if I would like to switch back to low cal, which I followed for years. 

10 hours ago, nanceebgd46 said:

Randall,

Just curious, how does your wife eat?

P.S. I eat low carbohydrate...me, myself and I.

P.S.S. Did low carb get to monotonous?

If so, I can understand...I look forward

to the new world when food will just be

there for us....we won't have to overthink

it, like we do now.:lol:

My wife sometimes actually eats healthy, but will also splurge on junk.  A McDonald's apple pie or an Arby's shake when it is on special or some special at the grocery store may get in her diet.

I ate low-carb about 25 years ago to lose weight and actually liked it.  I was never hungry and lost about a pound every day when I stuck to the diet.  My wife and I worked different hours and I normally fixed my own food.  On her off days, I had to refuse to eat her food or I would be off the diet.

Last year,  the doctor told me I should be on a low-carb diet due to my blood tests.  My wife does not do well on low carb.  I have learned that her digestive system does not operate well on a low-carb diet.  I finally got her to realize that she can not eat low-carb.

Low-carb is not monotonous actually.  It's just all the problems of trying to eat low-carb when my wife cannot eat that way.

Personally, I feel like many people's digestive systems are not functioning properly today and that is why the carbs are a problem.  Overweight people such as myself have the  potential to end up with diabetes.  In the new system, with properly functioning digestive systems, we should be able to eat the fruits and the starchy vegetables and do fine.

Edited by Witness1970