JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

A local restaurant agreed to accommodate  Memorial attenders, since we had the second session. They reopened about 10 pm. There were more than 30 people there. MY husb and I only drank water and I ordered a less expensive entree (steamed chicken with cilantro and capers, and a salad), since I was treating. We have a wedding Anniversary up-coming.  Husb had cream of chicken soup, baked chicken, jumbo shrimp, rice and black beans. I brought the leftovers home and had it for lunch and dinner yesterday. I have gained about 3 pounds due to the larger portions and the sodium. I also ate a few nacho chips with salsa. (almost never eat ANY wheat). Was going to just consume carb free smoothies to undo the damage, but had physical therapy today, and preceded it with a quarter cup of cottage cheese. From experience, I am carb-resistant and take a lengthy time to lose weight countered by a quick regain.  Should I concentrate on carb free smoothies for a few days, or get back to previous routine which is slow and sure?  ps, I also followed Weight watchers for many years, but do not feel the new program is working for me, and it is more expensive than low-carb, in my small experience. 

On March 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I did the research Tim, I found it very interesting. I even talked with the fellow who has been selling this and taking it for decades.  He sounded true and not at all like a salesman. He was more interested in helping me understand the products than sales. He actually sells to markets and distributors by the case. However to help people to understand and benefit, he sells on a small scale by ones and two's. He didn't want to prevent anyone from getting it.  

There are 2 products, first is Agrisept, an effective natural antibiotic that helps heal yeast overgrowth in the body. It makes sense to kill off bad bacteria first. Then Calorad. All natural and collagen based. Bovine and Marine. The info is on this site  http://www.calorad123.com/ .

As someone who eats bone broth I can understand what's being described. 

With a low carb diet anything healthy can help.

On March 17, 2016 at 9:38 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I decided to do the Agrisept first, am going to order tomorrow. 

Have you noticed any benefits yet from either?  ....  http://www.collagendiet.com/store/index.php?app=cms&ns=display&ref=Agrisept-L-About 

Sadly I still haven't ordered it but your post here has reminded me to do it. What I did do is start on a keytogenic diet, low-carb, first about 3 weeks ago, and have noticed benefits from that. The Agrisept will now have a better effect. At the 2 week point I did a weekend cleanse, AGHHH I thought I was ready but it was really hard to do. I made it but it was hard. Talked to my nutritionist friend and he said it was because the fats in my system aren't balanced yet. So staying with low-carb longer then doing the cleanse again it should be easier. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Peggy was talking about sweet tea, I just ordered a natural sweetener, never had it before but willing to give it a try in my hot tea.

http://www.amazon.com/VitaFiber-IMO-Powder-2-2-lbs/dp/B00TQ87DBQ/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459114808&sr=1-2&keywords=vitafiber

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Cardiologist (had blood test done). Previously, I had tachycardia, which was totally gone within a week after retiring from a job that was killing me. Also was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.  Eliminated Sugar, Wheat, corn and potatoes. Last visit my A-1 was down but borderline  prediabetic, now I am totally in the normal range regarding prediabetes. I have had difficulty trying to lower the LDL scores. HDL=high, Triglycerides, normal, LDL high (179). however, the Chol ratio = 3.9     I understand that anything under 5.0 is below the range of someone who will benefit from statin use. Cardiologist is pushing statins. I have been supposed to take red rice yeast and coq-10 as well as vit D and iron vitamins, but I have been inconsistent. I am now determined to keep up with vitamins prescribed by my primary. Yes, I know this is not a medical site, but has anyone had any similar experience? My cardiologist believes I am at risk of heart attack, but my primary does not.  I am quite frightened by the thought of statins.

Have a good one to add here. This is the best brownie recipe I've ever tasted. 

I am NOT a sweets eater so generally a 'treat' is way too sweet for me, except these brownies. No flour, low fat.....oh my goodness.  Many thanks to the sister who shared this with me.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/?s=amazing+flour-less+brownies&submit=%EF%80%82

brownies.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I''m new to using eggplant.  I've wanted to cook with it for years but I didn't know how and my attempts were disappointing. Until today. I took 1 rather chubby eggplant, I think a slimmer one would be better, and cut it into rounds, coated the slices with salt and let it sweat for 20 minutes, rinsed off then in a 400 oven to crisp or get brown and dryer yet. 

Then I cooled them, added pizza sauce and 2 slices had Parmesan on top and the other 2 had mozzarella and 3 pieces of pepperoni. Lew hate 2 before his shower and was excited to get the other 2 as an appetizer before dinner. Said he's eat them every night. YAY, another way to get away from wheat and eat something we never had before!

eggplant.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have ordered some "LDL lowering supplements" and I guess I will capitulate and try the statins (heavy sigh). I absolutely resist adding meds as I do not want to tax my liver by processing tablets. Cardiologist said it is genetic. Checked with my fleshly Sis and Bro: they are both on statins. Will try the Rx (with reservations). Does anyone have  personal experience re: low carb eating and cholesterol/lipids?

Edited by kejedo

I have inherited very high cholesterol, but the good one. However the ol' pharma doc says it's not good. Hmm. I tried a statin for 5 minutes and got so sick. Now I'm doing the garlic pills. Am going to be diligent for a year and see what's up. 

The low carb is liberating. My gut doesn't hurt and complain. There have been new recipes added to the book I have  http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Flush-Plan-Louise-Gittleman/dp/0071383832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464152132&sr=8-1&keywords=fat+flush+plan, Barry Sears was the original author of the very popular plan (which I have done on and off for years) called 40-30-30 fat burning nutrition and now he's endorsing Ann Gittleman's book, (Is it a coincidence that his wife's name is also Ann??) . It has menu's (thank-you) and lots of information. Very helpful. 

Lots of info out there on options available.  You just need to choose yours.

8 hours ago, kejedo said:

Have ordered some "LDL lowering supplements" and I guess I will capitulate and try the statins (heavy sigh). I absolutely resist adding meds as I do not want to tax my liver by processing tablets. Cardiologist said it is genetic. Checked with my fleshly Sis and Bro: they are both on statins. Will try the Rx (with reservations). Does anyone have  personal experience re: low carb eating and cholesterol/lipids?

My doctor recommended a low-carb diet for me.  I think it was because it was high triglycerides.  In our discussion, I was told that recent research has indicated that low-carb diets are better at reducing cholesterol than the old method of avoiding high cholesterol foods.

It has been claimed that eggs (whole eggs, not egg whites) have an enzyme that prevents the body from absorbing extra cholesterol.  I can not say that this is totally true, but it is something I read.

I've seen the same research. And I do believe it. As well as getting rid of processed oils and bringing back butter, lard, bacon grease and olive oils exclusively. I'm a puritan like that but the word Heart Disease didn't come about until we added the over processed canola/vegetable oils. For me I've found going to a simple, meat ,veg and fruit way using the natural oils has been beneficial.  

Not long ago I watched a couple episodes of The Andy Griffith show, in them they showed Aunt Bea bringing Andy his lunch to the police station- left over meat from dinner, green beans and applesauce. Hmmm, sounds like a great balanced lunch.

Please give this a watch  Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology. He explains the biochemistry behind why fructose is so bad for you.  He explains the correlation with respect to how the liver processes fructose, and how it correlates to a rise in LDL numbers and the feedback loops associated with them. 

It's a long session, but the science is solid. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Thanks, Sharon. I have not decided on statins. I am waiting for a password for my medical practice portal, so I can look at my progress for the past year. I am pretty sure my triglycerides have reduced by 28 points. (in the normal range.) I also limit fruits to about 3 a week.  Getting ready to look at the Lustig session. YS,pauline 

p.s I eliminated sugar, wheat, corn, and potatoes over a year ago.   BMI 22, size 8 jeans, 5' 6" and shrinking.  From what I watched so far, he is talking about sugary sodas which I never drank and HFCS, which I never used. Also , I was prediabetic a little over a year ago, but am in normal range now.

12 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I've seen the same research. And I do believe it. As well as getting rid of processed oils and bringing back butter, lard, bacon grease and olive oils exclusively. I'm a puritan like that but the word Heart Disease didn't come about until we added the over processed canola/vegetable oils. For me I've found going to a simple, meat ,veg and fruit way using the natural oils has been beneficial.  

Not long ago I watched a couple episodes of The Andy Griffith show, in them they showed Aunt Bea bringing Andy his lunch to the police station- left over meat from dinner, green beans and applesauce. Hmmm, sounds like a great balanced lunch.

The first paragraph about the low-carb diet lowering cholesterol seems to be very well established.  I have believed this for the last 25 years, even though some in the medical field have only recently started believing it.

The second paragraph about whole eggs containing an enzyme that reduces the absorption of dietary cholesterol is the one that I don't know about the research on.  I think I may have read that in a book about the South Beach Diet, but I am not sure.

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

p.s I eliminated sugar, wheat, corn, and potatoes over a year ago.   BMI 22, size 8 jeans, 5' 6" and shrinking.  From what I watched so far, he is talking about sugary sodas which I never drank and HFCS, which I never used. Also , I was prediabetic a little over a year ago, but am in normal range now.

It's not only that though, he goes on to condemn anything which contains the HFCS and he makes a connection between 'low fat' often having 'more sugar'.  I am of the opinion that perhaps our food sources which aren't home grown, or out of the ground could contain this but it may be named something else.  

Example, anything that says natural flavour is actually a food additive.  These of course being on processed foods. 

Maybe not helpful in your particular case Pauline since you seem to have already done the elimination of foods which may use this pathway in terms of metabolization.  

I was was going through my mind in terms of my diet and trying to pinpoint what I might eat that has sugar in it.  

I already don't eat a lot of these things either, but I do enjoy a potato or two in moderation (I have them maybe once per month)

I have quit fruit juices a number of years back, I hate milk (except chocolate and that I quit when I seen the 26g of sugar they add to it) and so the only culprit I can ID for myself is coffee.  Since it's the only thing I add sugar too.

No cereals...

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I don't buy anything processed or labeled low fat. HUsb said he finally figured out what I eat: salad and baked chicken.  I have one coffee in the morning, sugar free.  Everything in normal range except that LDL. HDL is high. I am waiting for a password to my health portal to see if LDL has been lowering at all in the past year, rather than total lipid reading.  No cereals, either, and no milk.

I avoid eating anything labeled healthy, lo-cal, lite, nutritious, lo-carb, real, sugar free, gluten free, cholesterol free, light, heart healthy, or fat free. I really steer clear if it says "Good for You" on the package. Other than these few exceptions I eat almost everything.  :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Cheryl The project is this weekend... Will keep you posted... My research:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93964

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Are you going to put it in the smoker for say....16 hours or so? Oven? What's your rub? 

Here's the fella's I like to watch. The music alone makes me happy. I've done a lot of their recipes, chicken, stuffed burgers, grilled veggies, potatoes...they're really good

And yes, keep me in the 'know', I'm totally interested. We're ready to order our side of beef for this fall, I want to get a brisket, among other cuts I don't usually  get.