JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

"Balanced diet" is certainly a term that deserves some exploration.  The American Heart Assn, The NIH (National Institute of Health), and others have for many years put grains as the foundation of a healthy diet, mostly based on the now contested research of Ancel Keys.  Read or listen to "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz to understand the incredible story underpinning most of the recommendations by authorities today, mostly stemming from the "research" by Keys. 

Then too, neurologist David Perlmutter and cardiologist William Davis would seriously warn us about the surprising dangers of wheat and carbs (especially sugar and white flour), that seem to have lead to the great increase of diabetes.  You might be surprised to find out how many in your own congregation have diabetes, but who have little to no knowledge of what is behind it or how it can often be cured.  Even when it is pointed out just what they can do to overcome that potentially deadly disease, they are hard pressed to even understand, because we have all been so heavily indoctrinated repeatedly, often daily, that if we hear something else that doesn't fit into the paradigm that we are so accustomed to hearing, we are unable to process the new information. 

Let me give you an example of such a phenomena where we just almost cannot process facts because of our indoctrination: 

Lightening has never in the history of mankind hit an indoor swimming pool, much less electrocuted anyone in such pools.  Lightening has however hit buildings and electrocuted people in showers of the buildings containing indoor swimming pools, and electrocuted those walking to their cars in the parking lot of buildings that have indoor swimming pools.  But what happens when lightening is striking in a certain area?  You are required to get out of that indoor pool, right?  You are not required to avoid the shower or parking lot where actual deaths have occurred.  But it is so ingrained in our conscientiousness that despite having just learned that lightening has never struck an indoor pool, if you have kids, you will make them get out of the pool and you probably will get out too, though that is possibly the safest place for us to be. Hard to accept, isn't it?  But those are the facts.  By the same token, we find it hard to accept new information about nutrition because we have been so heavily indoctrinated already that we cannot process the new information.  

In addition, while I know that most folks in this world would scoff at such a thing, knowing that a certain person, who we are well aware of, actually controls this world, I would not be too terribly surprised to find that the general information we just accept as factual actually can be death dealing.

On the other hand, despite all my reading on the subject, I cannot define exactly what a "balanced diet" is.  But I do know enough to avoid carbohydrates in general, especially white stuff like white flour and white rice and white sugar, and that sugar to be avoided includes much of the fruit that has been bred/modified to be as sugary as possible.  And I know know that fat is healthy, like oil to an automobile.  That cholesterol is necessary for life and our preoccupation with those levels is misdirected.  That the cheap cooking oils like vegetable, canola, safflower, sunflower, and peanut oils have great potential to be cancer causing agents, whereas olive and coconut oils are advantageous.  And I've learned that the highly advertised low-fat diet is not healthy.  Low carb, yes!  Low fat, no. 

For losing weight, the best information I've found is a 3 page pdf published by Duke Univ. prof Eric Westman, and it's free.  It can be found here:

http://www.nmsociety.org/docs/Consumer/Low_Carb_Menu_Planning.pdf   

This short web page by the same guy is also helpful:

http://kediet.com/blog/7-steps-to-healthy-low-carb-living/

A key phrase for me at that second site is, "Eat When You’re Hungry, Stop When You’re Full. Listen to your body…if you are not hungry you don’t have to eat."  That took a while for me to learn, since like Pavlov's dog, when I turn on the TV, I want to eat whether I'm hungry or not.

Another bit of insight that I try and follow is to pay attention to these 4 areas of life.  Diet, exercise, sleep, and stress.  If we are perfect in 3 areas, but lacking in only one, our health can be put at great risk.

May your explorations in what constitutes good health prove to be accurate,

Lloyd     

That may work but it really isn't a balanced diet

The thing about a balanced diet is very misleading. People have the idea that they have to get all kinds of nutrition at every meal. That just leads to overeating. Most of the diseases we have today are diseases of excess, not diseases of deficiency.

We have all heard the story of sailors whose sole diet consisted of white rice. AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS they developed scurvy. Note that this was after several months. Deficiencies in diet take months to develop. You can have a balanced diet if you get nutrients, not every day, but on occasion. And this would also prevent the diseases that we have today that are diseases of excess.

Don't get me wrong. I know the difference between gluttony and obesity. I have a daughter-in-law that has a disease that causes weight gain. She is not gluttonous. The doctor had her on some medication that was helping her control her weight along with a diet my son developed and a daily exercise routine. She was given a second medication and started gaining weight again. My son is an IT professional. He checked into the medications and found that they were cancelling each other out. She went back to her coctor and had to get him to stop one of the medicines. She is now starting to lose weight again. In my own case I could lose weight readily when I was younger. At 66 years old I find that it is much harder.

Basically the idea of having a balanced diet every day has contributed to more obesity, more diseases of excess, and shorter life expectancy. Some people confuse average life span and life expectancy. Average life span can be lowered by infant mortality and women dying in childbirth. Life expectancy has to do with the age any person is likely to die. In the 1800's the average life span was shorter because of the reasons mentioned earlier, infant death and death of young mothers while giving birth. A person of 40 in 1850 had a better chance to reach the age of 80 than a person who was 40 in 1950. My GGGgrandparents were born in 1800 and 1802. The husband, born in 1800 lived 89 years and died in 1889. His wife, born in 1802 lived 90 years and died in 1892. None of their descendants, except one has made it to 89 years old. Life expectancy in the 1800's was better than in the 1900's.

You will note in a recent magazine that the FDS used the term average life span, stating that it was better in the 1900's. They did not use the words life expectancy.

The chiropractor I saw while living in Michigan, told me a few things about cholesterol. One of them he told about, was a group of nurses invited him to talk to them. One of the RN's asked him what was a good reading for cholesterol in a woman. When he told her there had never been any definitive studies done for women, he said the room got really quiet. 

Your liver produces cholesterol in relation to the amount of inflammation in your body. Cleaning up your diet is the best place to start lowering your count. 

• 3 weeks later...

What a great comment Sandy.  Congrats on all the success you and yours have had!

I read Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint-21 day total body transformation" and found he had some great advice.  I must admit though that it was tough to hear him constantly go on, especially in the first part of the book, about evolution, a negative for me. 

For most in the paleo/primal community, it's like their advice is based on a false premise.  Nonetheless, when they get off that horse and concentrate on what works, their advice is excellent.  I have just learned (as I'm sure you have too) to ignore their comments on how man has for "hundreds of thousands of years lived as hunter-gathers."  (If I hear someone say "hunter-gatherer" again, I may scream............just kidding)     

But I'm really encouraged by the comments here, aren't you?  It's just good to know that we're on to something pretty important for life in the world that we find ourselves in at the moment.

Hey, and thanks for the eating suggestions, 'specially the "meatza".  Gotta try that!!!

I'm gonna post my wife's recipes for this and that soon.  But she's the sort that doesn't measure how much of this or that that she uses in a recipe, so it's kinda hard for me to get the correct measurements from her, though she promises to write everything down soon.

See ya!

I know the world likes to say we came from "hunter-gatherers" but it is an interesting thing to me. According to the theory of evolution all creatures should evolve to live off whatever food supply is available. If our ancestors were "h-g" it would seem that by now evolution, if it were true, would have caused us to evolve to live off the available food supply. By now humans should have evolved to live on Coca-Cola and processed foods.

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

I dunno how's everybody else doing with this diet now... But, I am so happy to announce that I have lost 10 kgs (around 20 lbs?)  :ecstatic:  

And, I made a picture of before and after to keep encouraging myself to continue this diet!! Would like to share with you all!! 

Can anybody in low carbs share yours too?

Edited by lynn

:bouncing:

I was on a natural diet last night, though it wasn't my intention to lose, at least not the way it happened. The ingredients?

1. A healthy portion of greed.

2. A healthy portion of lack of self-control

3. A healthy portion of "oh it's so hot!"

Put some "I'm so hungry" on the side.

Then go to the store and buy a half gallon of ice cream. The brand/flavor doesn't matter.

Then mix all the above together.

The result? You will lose weight because, while you're wondering why you're spending an inordinate amount of time with the potty, afterwards you'll weigh yourself and notice you lost some pounds.

Please note: not advised for those who have common sense. Lol.

Edited by Luezette

I dunno how's everybody else doing with this diet now... But, I am so happy to announce that I have lost 10 kgs (around 20 lbs?)  :ecstatic:  

And, I made a picture of before and after to keep encouraging myself to continue this diet!! Would like to share with you all!! 

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Can anybody in low carbs share yours too?

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic, so I eliminated sugar and wheat (I also have not had potatoes or rice). Now: no more pre-diabetic. Each person must make his or her own dietary decisions. For many years I was a Weight Watchers instructor and stayed scrupulously at goal (which I think I kept far below the weight charts for my height.) When they re-invented the program and added more carbs and choices, it didn't work for me.  I have had a modest weight loss, about half pound a week, after spending the winter on mega-steroids.  I'm feeling better now. Sister Yanty, you look beautiful in both your pictures. I don't have a pic to send, as i look pretty much the same, except I felt like someone put a bicycle tire pump in my face when I was on more steroids. I have a personal carb count that I am keeping, getting most of my daily carbs from vegetables. As I increase my carb count, I will add more fruit.  It is about health and how you feel. My doctor is fine with my health improvements. People will make their own informed choices. 

Since the cancer diagnosis I have been on a diet that has helped me shed 32 lbs so far I want to lose 20 more to be on the lean side. Here is what's worked for me.

Doctor suggested...

No sugar ( I use stevia drops )

Low carbs as carbs convert to sugar yet I am allowed seeded bread and whole grains quinoa etc.

Lots of green vegetables juiced or roasted or steamed.

Low glycemic fruit berries lots of them.

20 percent protein in my diet mostly wild fish or organic chicken or small quantities of red organic meat.

Nuts

Lots of water I add lemon as it help your skin glow evens out the ph in your body etc.

Almond milk with cinnamon and ice stevia

Dark chocolate

Healthy fats olive oil, coconut oil and grass fed butter avocados

The supplement bitter melon and cinnamon help even out blood sugar

Never felt so good physically ... Fibromyalgia under control

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I was on a natural diet last night, though it wasn't my intention to lose, at least not the way it happened. The ingredients?

1. A healthy portion of greed.

2. A healthy portion of lack of self-control

3. A healthy portion of "oh it's so hot!"

Put some "I'm so hungry" on the side.

Then go to the store and buy a half gallon of ice cream. The brand/flavor doesn't matter.

Then mix all the above together.

The result? You will lose weight because, while you're wondering why you're spending an inordinate amount of time with the potty, afterwards you'll weigh yourself and notice you lost some pounds.

Please note: not advised for those who have common sense. Lol.

It's kind of excitement to enjoy food... :bouncing: Since I am doing low carbs, I have to made my own ice-cream... Never made it, lol... Lazy girl I am... Anyway, I made a low carb cheese cake, and I really like it... Yes! That's my fav dessert now, low-carb cheese cake!

Thank you for sharing your story, Pauline and Jewel! We should share more recipes on low carb here!

Anyway, do you experience problem in sleeping doing low carb? And, I feel I have low blood sugar now... I will experience black out if I stand up hurrily after squatting... I should make it slow or sit before standing up...

Congrats Ivy! You can really see how healthy and bouncy you look, and it's in your face, not just your body.

I have recently been diagnosed as a diabetic, since being pre-diabetic for 13 years following my last pregnancy, where I was gestational diabetic.  My dietician has put me on a stringent high protein, low carb, high vegetables, one fruit per day diet.  I also exercise moderately 3 times a week.  I am loosing weight at a good rate of 1/2kg a week.

Here is a sample:

Breakfast

2 boiled or scrambled eggs, or 30g rolled oats with 1/2 cup low fat milk

Lunch

500ml soup (anything except creamy, potato/leek/pumkin/sweet potato). Pulses are great.  Some grains are ok like small bits of barley, rice or pasta.

or 4 multigrain crackers with 80 g lean protein with a salad

Dinner

100-150g lean meat/skinless chicken/fish with steamed or stir-fried veggies or salad.

(I am at Phase 3 so now I can also have 1/2 cup cooked pasta or Basmati rice.)

I am allowed 3 snacks per day, which I must have so that I am eating regularly throughout the day (5 regular meals) - a choice from 1 fruit, 10 walnuts/almonds, tub low-fat yoghurt, 30 low-fat cheese.

Aiming for 6-8 glasses of water per day, but this can include herbal teas.

I can enjoy 1 free meal per week - handy if you are invited out or entertaining.  I found I cannot consume the same amount of pasta or rice that I used to, so even on my free meal I am eating sensibly.

Because I am a diabetic, I must include some carbs throughout the day - it makes the release of insulin in my bloodstream more manageable.  It is still a work in progress, but I plan to stick to this as a life-time eating plan.  Like many have already noted, eating more vegetables and hardly any carbs leaves me feeling a whole lot better!  I use much less stevia as I have started to lose the "sweet tooth".  And lastly 2 squares of dark chocolate once a week is allowed !  Yippppeeee!!!!

Thank you for sharing your story, Pauline and Jewel! We should share more recipes on low carb here!

Anyway, do you experience problem in sleeping doing low carb? And, I feel I have low blood sugar now... I will experience black out if I stand up hurrily after squatting... I should make it slow or sit before standing up...

I have had low blood pressure most of my life and felt faint when ever standing up. Now my blood pressure is in the normal range. My entire family has sleep disorders .I def have apnea, but was unsuccessful with the c-pap. I had a sleep disorder even when I was very thin.  I am seeing a different pulmonologist in July. There is a new one shot back-of-the-throat-cold-laser that will keep your throat from closing when 'trying' to sleep. This is different from the 3 or 4 treatment laser that had questionable results. I doubt the new Pulmo is up on it, or that my insurance, would pay for it, but it is worth asking. If there is an exercise one can do to help apnea, I'd love to know it. 

.I def have apnea, but was unsuccessful with the c-pap.

My wife uses a C-PAP and she has tried several types of masks, did you have a problem with the mask you were using?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What has helped a few issues of mine... is for sleep and excess estrogen....

20 mg of melatonin at night. Start at 2mg then built up to 20mg. Black out your room .. Consistent bed time ... Magnesium glycinate it's the easiest one to digest, prevents restless legs. Which helps sleep.

The need for protein for some can be an issue so use quinoa you can make all kinds of things with it.

1/2 cup dried dates, pitted and roughly chopped

1/3 cup prunes, pitted and roughly chopped

3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice

1/3 cup chia seeds

1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 1/2 cup quinoa flakes

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

1/2 cup almonds, chopped

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/4 cup dried cherries

Instructions:

Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a blender or food processor, combine the dates, prunes and apple juice and let stand for about 10 minutes to let the fruits soften. After 10 minutes, blend until mostly smooth. Add the chia seeds, hemp seeds and vanilla and briefly process to combine. Let this mixture sit for another 10 minutes or so.

As this mixture is sitting, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the quinoa flakes, walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds and pumpkin or sunflower seeds. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is fragrant and golden brown. Stir in the spices and salt, and stir for another minute or so. Transfer to a large bowl.

Stir in the apricots, cranberries and cherries into the nut and quinoa mixture. Using a spatula, stir in the prune and date mixture until everything is well combined.

Pack in pan bake at 350

Compare almond milk to dairy ... I like it better fewer calories.

I coat sliced apples with cinnamon it's like eating a dessert.

I use spaghetti squash to curb my pasta cravings :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

• 3 weeks later...

So, I am interested in this diet now... Any idea on how to start?

Avoid bread, starches, and sugar.

I like to eat eggs for breakfast. You can also have bacon or sausage. The first time I went low-carb I tried chicken and eggs, pork chops and eggs, and fish and eggs. Found out I liked all of those. My lunch was often a chicken breast and a small salad. Pizza Hut had some mild wings and salad I could get.

Get ready to drink lots of water. I, and everyone I know that did low-carb was always thirsty. And water tasted really GOOD. I drank water with every meal and went back for more between meals.

One guy I knew just said he saved all the vegetables for his dinner meal. I usually had half my salad vegetables for lunch and half for dinner.

For breakfast you can have decaffeinated coffee with Splenda and Almond Milk. Sugar is out and artificial sweeteners stop the weight loss for some reason.

This has always been the best diet for me to lose weight.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

My wife uses a C-PAP and she has tried several types of masks, did you have a problem with the mask you were using?

A lot of people have trouble with C-PAP. I know some who have the machine at home and don't use it. I am different. Nothing phases me. I use mine as if I had used it all my life. Only been using it for six months.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I had great success on a low carb diet years ago when the 'Atkins' way of eating hit Australia in 2002 (? I think). I remember I started doing it first with a work mate and we would test out different recipes and try to source low carb foods. My husband joined me months later which made it easier to prepare meals. We ate the most veggies and salad that we every had in our life on the low carb diet but I totally regret using so many artificial sweeteners and what I'd call fake food. I tried too hard to replace desserts, bread, sodas and pastas when we should have just cut them out. We still lost weight but I don't think it was as healthy as it should have been. What I like about low carb is you only lose weight if you need to, I didn't have a lot to lose but I defiantly lost body fat from where I wanted to lose it and then maintained the weight. My husband had more to lose and from memory he lost 25 kg but no matter how many times he heard from others how good he looked he didn't feel good in himself. It turns out he had clinical depression which now looking back I think it was more the artificial sweeteners but I can't be sure. He only thing with artificial sweeteners we eat these days are Quest bars and not every day but some days we just need something with a cup of tea or coffee.

These days we do what I gues is like carb cycling. We have omelettes or bacon, eggs and grilled tomatoes

Oops I clicked post accidentally and I hadn't finished haha

We have an omelette or bacon, eggs and grilled tomatoes most mornings for breakfast, veggies like green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots with grilled chicken or turkey burgers and chicken soup plus either steak, chicken or fish and veg or salad or a slow cook meal that is low carb. This would be 4 out of the 7 days of the week. We both go to gym these days so we 'need' the carbs and so on higher carb days we will include high carb fruits, rice, potato, sweet potato and tortilla wraps. Sometimes bread but usually save it for the weekend. It's been the best thing for our mental health and stress release to exercise properly plus we have an active son so we want to be healthy and fit to keep up with him. I bake on the weekends and we enjoy having more carbs as a 'cheat' day but mostly we avoid sugar and try to eat real food.

We did a 12 week sugar detox late last year and it worked really well. I had the most energy when avoiding sugar. Go figure! We do still have it now but for the most part find things we used to love way too sweet.

I guess from my experience you have to find what works for you and enjoy what you are eating. I think that some people need more carbs than others and cutting sugar is a good start and I wished we had done that before we started low carb all those years ago as it cuts your cravings for sugar and just eating fruit feels like a treat. It would have saved me a lot of money too. I was told by a naturopath recently that I needed healthy carbs for proper thyroid function and hormone production so low carb as a way of eating is not something that suits me now. I do believe low carb is the best way to lose weight especially if you lead a seditary lifestyle.

My husband and I had great success on a low carb diet years ago when the 'Atkins' way of eating hit Australia in 2002 (? I think). I remember I started doing it first with a work mate and we would test out different recipes and try to source low carb foods. My husband joined me months later which made it easier to prepare meals. We ate the most veggies and salad that we every had in our life on the low carb diet but I totally regret using so many artificial sweeteners and what I'd call fake food. I tried too hard to replace desserts, bread, sodas and pastas when we should have just cut them out. We still lost weight but I don't think it was as healthy as it should have been. What I like about low carb is you only lose weight if you need to, I didn't have a lot to lose but I defiantly lost body fat from where I wanted to lose it and then maintained the weight. My husband had more to lose and from memory he lost 25 kg but no matter how many times he heard from others how good he looked he didn't feel good in himself. It turns out he had clinical depression which now looking back I think it was more the artificial sweeteners but I can't be sure. He only thing with artificial sweeteners we eat these days are Quest bars and not every day but some days we just need something with a cup of tea or coffee.

These days we do what I gues is like carb cycling. We have omelettes or bacon, eggs and grilled tomatoes

One of the main restrictions I remember from the Atkins book was NO artificial sweeteners. No sweeteners at all except Splenda. I lost weight but my wife and I were working different hours so I fixed my own meals. Whenever we were both home my diet would get ruined and I had to start over again.

One of the main restrictions I remember from the Atkins book was NO artificial sweeteners. No sweeteners at all except Splenda. I lost weight but my wife and I were working different hours so I fixed my own meals. Whenever we were both home my diet would get ruined and I had to start over again.

Splenda is toxic so I would suggest Stevia instead it's natural. Splenda is an encitotoxin.

Since going low carb almost nil, no sugar, mostly vegetables and low glycemic fruit, nuts, healthy fats and minimal meat mostly fish. I'm not hungry and have lost 35 pounds in 3 months. I feel a lot better no fibro issues and my energy has returned. The hardest part was the first 2 weeks

Splenda is toxic so I would suggest Stevia instead it's natural. Splenda is an encitotoxin.

Since going low carb almost nil, no sugar, mostly vegetables and low glycemic fruit, nuts, healthy fats and minimal meat mostly fish. I'm not hungry and have lost 35 pounds in 3 months. I feel a lot better no fibro issues and my energy has returned. The hardest part was the first 2 weeks

When I did the Atkins diet many years ago there was no negative information that I could find on Splenda. My wife prefers Stevia but it tastes as bad as the artificial sweeteners to me. I love tea but would prefer to drink it unsweetened rather than use Stevia. I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I know of no real research indicating that Splenda is bad. I have read that Stevia can not be called natural because of the way it is processed. (But since I don't necessarily believe what i read on the internet I really don't know.)

Edited by Witness1970