JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

I have been consistently low carb-ing it for 5 months, and my docs are supportive. Except, my total cholesterol and triglycerides have jumped up. My primary is not worried b/c my HDL is so high, she feels it normalizes every thing else. Cardiologist is upset with overall higher cholesterol count and took another blood test today. BMI 23, goal of 22 BMI. I am taking red yeast rice and coQ10 rather than statins. I read (one longitudinal study) that after two years on low carb, triglycerides and LDLs were lowered. Should I try to ride it out, try statins, exercise more, or make some dietary tweaks like beans, psyllium, or something else? I read a study which said the occasional drinker has higher cholesterol than regular heavy drinkers  :drink: Confusing, as my primary recommended some alcohol, such as wine. Red wine tends to trigger my allergies. :perplexed:  Has anyone had to work through this? I find low carb easier and less expensive than the typical low calorie/low fat diet, and I'm not a bit bored with selections.  :unsure:

Now my cholesterol is down 28 points and my cardiologist agrees with my primary, no need for statins. Went from size 11/12 to 9/10 (American sizes), but it's really not about numbers.(Thus saith the math head). I am feeling better and have gotten off of all those steroid meds that were keeping me breathing last winter (15-16 weeks of respiratory crisis). My face looked like the mascot for the Mets. (It's a NY thang.) Doc Oz says stay with the diet that you can stick to.Right now, this is it. Going back into physical therapy next week, so that will change my exercise routine.

Edited by kejedo

Now my cholesterol is down 28 points and my cardiologist agrees with my primary, no need for statins. Went from size 11/12 to 9/10 (American sizes), but it's really not about numbers.(Thus saith the math head). I am feeling better and have gotten off of all those steroid meds that were keeping me breathing last winter (15-16 weeks of respiratory crisis). My face looked like the mascot for the Mets. (It's a NY thang.) Doc Oz says stay with the diet that you can stick to.Right now, this is it. Going back into physical therapy next week, so that will change my exercise routine.

Congratulations on your progress. Atkins diet worked for me but my wife is unable to eat that way. We have to find a diet that works for both of us. My digestive system and hers seems to be total opposites.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Keep up the good work... My expression is "you got to find your stride" that is find what works for you with regard to health and nutrition . That may take a while but when one does find that stride amazing things happen.

I have been consistently low carb-ing it for 5 months, and my docs are supportive. Except, my total cholesterol and triglycerides have jumped up. My primary is not worried b/c my HDL is so high, she feels it normalizes every thing else. Cardiologist is upset with overall higher cholesterol count and took another blood test today. BMI 23, goal of 22 BMI.

I have just recently started reading this neurosurgeons research and have found it very interesting. He has a book out but he also has a website and facebook. 

The website is not laid out very easily so you must search out things that interest you, I enjoyed reading about cold Thermogenesis protocol including the comments from other readers under the Epi-Paleo Diet Store.

https://www.jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/

https://www.facebook.com/drjackkruse/?fref=ts

He has some interesting theories on cold therapy and losing weight. 

His logic, terminology and research made me think of you Pauline and I thought you might enjoy his studies very much. 

Here is a summary of his thoughts and research:

Neurosurgeon and wildly controversial Paleo blogger Dr. Jack Kruse gives us his first book, Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health. Kruse, who used his findings to lose 140 pounds and pack on muscle, takes the reader through his prescriptions for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, autoimmunity, brain health, and aging. The material weaves together surprises from our Ice Age origins with the new science of epigenetics, or the effect of diet and environment on gene expression.

A champion of “biohacking,” the art of tinkering with one’s own biology, Kruse pounces on his own profession’s ineptness when it comes to chronic conditions and urges readers to take health care into their own hands. He discusses which labs to order and why, why your doctor is obligated to write you a prescription you don’t need, the vital roles daylight and darkness play in metabolism, and the optimal diet for different stages of health and different times of year. 

Perhaps Kruse’s more fascinating contributions to Paleo literature are his findings on cold therapy—the effect of cold environments, immersion in cold water, and ice pack therapy on disease reversal, pain, and optimal living. Kruse explains how our origins as cold-adapted mammals hold the key to disease reversal, using a shocking biohack to prove his theory.

The Epi-paleo Rx is the result of Kruse’s abundant research and clinical application in his practice as a neurosurgeon. Kruse questions conventional wisdom about human metabolism and chronic disease, arguing science has incomplete information when it comes to insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity, and their related illnesses. By examining the human body through the prism of our early beginnings and the science of epigenetics, we find each of us already possesses the “owner’s manual” to reverse disease and live optimally.

I have just recently started reading this neurosurgeons research and have found it very interesting. He has a book out but he also has a website and facebook. 

The website is not laid out very easily so you must search out things that interest you, I enjoyed reading about cold Thermogenesis protocol including the comments from other readers under the Epi-Paleo Diet Store.

https://www.jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/

https://www.facebook.com/drjackkruse/?fref=ts

He has some interesting theories on cold therapy and losing weight. 

His logic, terminology and research made me think of you Pauline and I thought you might enjoy his studies very much. 

Here is a summary of his thoughts and research:

Neurosurgeon and wildly controversial Paleo blogger Dr. Jack Kruse gives us his first book, Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health. Kruse, who used his findings to lose 140 pounds and pack on muscle, takes the reader through his prescriptions for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, autoimmunity, brain health, and aging. The material weaves together surprises from our Ice Age origins with the new science of epigenetics, or the effect of diet and environment on gene expression.

A champion of “biohacking,” the art of tinkering with one’s own biology, Kruse pounces on his own profession’s ineptness when it comes to chronic conditions and urges readers to take health care into their own hands. He discusses which labs to order and why, why your doctor is obligated to write you a prescription you don’t need, the vital roles daylight and darkness play in metabolism, and the optimal diet for different stages of health and different times of year. 

Perhaps Kruse’s more fascinating contributions to Paleo literature are his findings on cold therapy—the effect of cold environments, immersion in cold water, and ice pack therapy on disease reversal, pain, and optimal living. Kruse explains how our origins as cold-adapted mammals hold the key to disease reversal, using a shocking biohack to prove his theory.

The Epi-paleo Rx is the result of Kruse’s abundant research and clinical application in his practice as a neurosurgeon. Kruse questions conventional wisdom about human metabolism and chronic disease, arguing science has incomplete information when it comes to insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity, and their related illnesses. By examining the human body through the prism of our early beginnings and the science of epigenetics, we find each of us already possesses the “owner’s manual” to reverse disease and live optimally.

I worked for many years as a Weight Watcher's instructor, and I made lots of $$$ as we were paid on commission (over 100 bucks per class but never quite 200 in the 70s/80s.) That plan started failing me when they upped the carbs. I may try it again,now that much of my health is stabilizing. The story of nutrition has definitely not been completed in this system. I did some reading on epigenentics previously and followed a doctors plan (who supported that theory.) I didn't find the right fit at the time. I will do some more reading on this. I was also a vegetarian for some time, but could not afford it. My chronic anemia was not being helped when I was a vegetarian, even though I ate nutrient dense fruits and vegetables. Still learning! . 

So, after having products with wheat, my allergies were so triggered, my eyes had swollen up like slits. I was chewing Benadryl and wondering if i should hit my epipen. Since my throat didn't close, I stayed with ice packs and allergy meds. I haven't had any sugar since March, so since I had already messed up with this week, I tried some products with sugar. I was coughing and choking just by trying to swallow. Everyone has to find what works for them at their stage in life. I ate low cal for years when I was younger. Right now, this is working better for me. 

*Those of you that have been on a cruise know the problem. Those that haven't been on a cruise, the problem is food, food, food.

Yum! I'd love to have that problem. (Just for the cruise)

(British accent): I'd like some more, please?

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

According to Harvard Researchers, a low carb diet is the most effective and recommended of diets and even more important than exercise. (p.s. I do exercise)

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Low-Carb-Diets-Weight-Loss-38931571

I can lose weight on a low carb diet but it messes with my wife's digestive system.

Recent research seems to indicate health problems from eating too much meat.

Ome of the healthiest people in the world eat a mostly vegetarian diet.

Just saying.....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Wearing my smallest size 9 jeans later today. Now, to work on toning. For the waist, I have three hula hoops.The one I use is weighted-athletic. I have smaller ones for the youth of our congregation who stop by to visit. I wonder if anyone will beat me at our next pizza karaoke dance party.  So far, my title is intact, but I have a young teenage girl, unbaptized publisher, who is my prime competitor. :scared:  I also have workout pants by Zaggora. Has anyone used them?  

Edited by kejedo

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I did low carb (Atkins) years ago it worked very well.  My wife and I were working different hours and I was able to fix my own breakfast and lunch (for work).  I lost 5 pounds per week.  Since my wife and I retired I have been unable to do the low carb thing since it upsets my wife's digestion.

My last blood test showed my cholesterol was slightly high and my triglycerides were up.  They recommended a low carb diet, no sugar diet for me.  So I guess I will be doing low carb again.  My wife will just have to eat slightly different meals so that her digestion is not adversely affected.

She can eat the oatmeal for breakfast while I have my eggs.