JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bearded Dragons as pets :)

Brother_Bliss

I got my wife a 40 gallon reptile starter kit and a bearded dragon for our wedding anniversary today, since she's really really been wanting one. I got a bearded dragon for myself too. 

Has anyone had experience keeping this or other lizards as pets? These are our first reptiles.

I'm also trying to think of cool dragon names to give them, lol :P

Here's a cute video featuring a bearded dragon.....

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

from the internet.

"Bearded Dragons make great family pets and are fun to care for, especially when you and your children do it together as a team. With a basic knowledge of hygiene and some fundamental facts, children 10 and over can help give Bearded Dragons a healthy and happy life. Have children thoroughly wash their hands up to the elbows before reaching into the pet's terrarium. Let your kids know that is a critical step simply because Bearded Dragons can react to any chemicals or dirt that might be on people's skin. You can go along with the preparation as well and make it a fun event for the whole family. Stand by as your kids interact with your family's pet and encourage them to gently hold the pet and avoid rubbing their eyes or putting their hands near their own mouths. Once the session is over, get together with your kids and wash everyone's hands and arms with soap and water."

http://pets.petsmart.com/guides/bearded-dragons/tips-for-kids.shtml

http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/2rh75-bearded-dragon-safe-kids-boys-year.html

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Bob, I know a family that's had a bearded dragon for a while and he just passed away and they were heart broken. The dragonn loved being outside and walking around when it was warm! They love the sun! The onlyy dragon names I know are from the Bible (Satan!LOL) or from "How to Train Your dragon" ((Toothless). They will make wonderful pets and from what I am told they are also affectionate. What a great anniversary gift! I hope my anniversary gift will be not having to live in this world another year to see another x-mas! By the way, those kids are so cute they are off the charts! Let them name the dragons - it will mean alot to them and to you!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

The lizard we had was, indeed, a bearded dragon.

Here is something we learned that is needed for the health of the lizard. They need the full spectrum of light to stay healthy. If you are keeping this lizard in a terrarium in the house you will probably need to use an "ultraviolet" light in addition to the light you are using for regular light and heat.

As far as names go - we name our reptiles the same as any of our other pets - any name we want based on a person, character, or other reason we came up with.

We have a Snake named Freddie T after Fred Taylor, the football player.

We have a dog named Janson after a Star Wars character.

We had a couple of pigs named Pork Chop 1 and Pork Chop 2 - so no one would get too attached, since they were destined for the freezer.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I can think of a cool name !  GODZILLA :ecstatic: LOL

My son, whom I properly raised to be a Godzilla fan, lol, is actually pushing me to name him Spyro - which is a video game character I think. I also don't think he's ever played it :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

a bearded dragon as an anniversary gift well Bob aren't you the romantic  :wub:

as for naming a dragon, always thought Thor may work, 

or Bentley... or Poe

perhaps Leviathan -- Levi for short--

or will you & Mrs Bob be naming them as a pair, 

ex: 'Romeo & Juliet'... 'George & Gracie' type names?

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

So far we are enjoying ours. I was worried about mine as it didn't seem healthy and wasn't eating. Turns out the pet store was incorrect in recommending meal worms. We switched to wax worms for a bit and then ordered a case of dubia roaches from the internet and they love these. They also like salad.

I'll try to share some pics soon.

So far we are enjoying ours. I was worried about mine as it didn't seem healthy and wasn't eating. Turns out the pet store was incorrect in recommending meal worms. We switched to wax worms for a bit and then ordered a case of dubia roaches from the internet and they love these. They also like salad.

I'll try to share some pics soon.

They like crickets, dragon bites and even salad! Our beards love tomatoes and some crisp lettuce.

~Van

• 5 months later...

a bearded dragon as an anniversary gift well Bob aren't you the romantic  :wub:
     as for naming a dragon, always thought Thor may work, 
      or Bentley... or Poe
       perhaps Leviathan -- Levi for short--

or will you & Mrs Bob be naming them as a pair, 
   ex: 'Romeo & Juliet'... 'George & Gracie' type names?

We have two mallard ducks that come visit us regularly that I've named George and Gracie!!! It gives me so much joy to look out my front window and see them sitting underneath my tiny Norweigan Crimson tree so content and happy!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D