JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jehovah's Witnesses buy Fishkill apartments

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3106 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

...Just curious, out of those who are in favor of the "Mount Ebo Complex" purchase, how many would be handing out torches and pitchforks if the original developers had instead given it the name "Mount Ebo Luxury Office Suites"?

:thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I don't have a clue about the future use (in new world) of any property the organization acquires. From reviewing the last parts of the Governing Body 2014 annual meeting parts, they are using the master's 'talents' (material devoted for Kingdom interests) faithfully and discretely now for furthering the important proclaiming work now and not hiding it or burying it in Satan's economic system.

They are demonstrating that they aren't 'sluggish' in handling the master's interests now. The future will take care of itself. ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I don't have a clue about the future use (in new world) of any property the organization acquires. From reviewing the last parts of the Governing Body 2014 annual meeting parts, they are using the master's 'talents' (material devoted for Kingdom interests) faithfully and discretely now for furthering the important proclaiming work now and not hiding it or burying it in Satan's economic system.

They are demonstrating that they aren't 'sluggish' in handling the master's interests now. The future will take care of itself. ☺

Good point my brother. And sometimes we don't why they buy these properties. Sometimes the GB don't know why too. Yet, Jehovah knows why.

Agreed, they are just following the celestial chariot's leadings.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

By putting our contributions on the KH we should trust that the FDS will make the best use of the money because they are the ones appointed by Jehovah to do exactly that.

Who are we to act as best house Lord's than Jesus to ask the steward why are

you doing that?

A letter was read on my congregation regarding the CO's automobiles. The branch as decided (I'm sure backed up by the GB) to arrange a commercial deal to purchase new cars, including maintenance, to the 140 CO's in the branch territory. They asked for a specific annual contribution for this purpose.

Now, with the same reasoning used by some posters on this thread, ones could argue that they can't have a decent car and are going to contribute to new cars for the Co's! But in reality this arrangement will only produce savings, even if compared just with the maintenance of an old car. I work in a company that does exactly this kind of deals and that produces a lot of savings

We just need to trust that Jehovah is the one leading the Chariot. The GB has its hands on the steering wheel but it's Jehovah who makes it turn

When we heard some years ago that a pool was being built in the Spanish branch for the use of the Bethel family there were some criticisms too. A good number of brothers protested that their donations were wasted for such a frivolous facility.

But the truth is that Bethel (and all other constructions in the area) was required by a new law to have an open-air water reservoir of a certain capacity to help the authorities fight the frequent fires during the summer. Firefight helicopters use those deposits to refill quickly.

The branch committee thought that since they had to build that reservoir anyway, for a very small additional amount they could make it a pool and have the Bethel family enjoy it.

So better trust our brothers with responsibility, since they are doing their best to manage Jesus' properties in the best possible way.

A letter was read on my congregation regarding the CO's automobiles. The branch as decided (I'm sure backed up by the GB) to arrange a commercial deal to purchase new cars, including maintenance, to the 140 CO's in the branch territory. They asked for a specific annual contribution for this purpose.

Joao, we have that same arrangement in Spain for several years already and it works great. Any time a cars needs repairs, the company takes care of it. They also pay insurance, taxes, everything. Our COs don't have to waste their time with any of those things anymore.

Some years back a close friend of ours and his wife were serving at Bethel (Brooklyn). One evening, while talking to him on the phone, he was expressing to us how, due to him being sick, he missed out on a special steak dinner they had that day for supper.

Well, I will have to admit that I do not get/eat steak all that often. However, I did not get upset that they served the Bethel Family steak dinner, I felt bad he missed it.

You know, sometimes we look at what we do or do not have and "set a standard" - but think of it, those serving in these full time capacities have given up everything we sometimes take for granted to serve US. They do not own a home, go places when they wish, travel for fun or even go to the local McDonalds because they decided to ... they handle their assignments and forgo the "normal way of life" so we can eat well, spiritually, so why do we get upset if they have a few of the things that make their life comfortable.

Yes, they may get to enjoy some of the things we cannot - but, who cares .... they are serving Jehovah and US.

It may be true that some pioneers do not have some of the "extras" that those serving at the various Bethels sometimes enjoy, but, the pioneers can come and go to a schedule they set for themselves and have a job if they want one - those at Bethel don't do/have either.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I think this goes along with the thought in the morning worship about faith. What is faith? It is the complete knowledge and trust that Jehovah knows what he is doing....WITHOUT questioning!! So have faith that HE is directing things. I feel like nothing is too good for our hardworking brothers.   :encourage:

• 2 months later...

FISHKILL – The Jehovah's Witnesses have obtained a partial tax exemption for the Rivercrest luxury apartments that the religious group bought last year, and have now purchased an adjacent waterfront property, both in the Town of Fishkill.

LaColla said the town's assessor, Christian Harkins, has no choice in the matter, given the state laws that allow tax exemption for properties that are used for religious purposes and are owned by a qualified religious organization.

"He complies with state regulations on that," he said. The town, he said, is not quite standing still and officials are concerned. "We are promoting a conversation with our state representatives to look at state policy regarding tax-exempt properties, the exemption policy itself," LaColla said.

They also bought some land near the apartments:

Rivercrest apartments is a 250-unit luxury rental complex that the town's assessor values at $31 million. The two waterfront parcels are 57.4 acres of land and empty industrial buildings that are valued at $1 million each that were bought from Chelsea Waterfront Development LLC.

Town Supervisor Bob LaColla said the Witnesses have a vision for the old industrial land. "They called to say they're still planning on coming in with a plan for the old Circle M site." That's the long-gone company that operated a wood-treatment plant there

No comment was forthcoming from the Witnesses headquarters. The group's property dealings are under the name of Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York, Inc. LaColla said the group's representatives have spoken of building an assembly hall, a video production studio and three office buildings there.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In TEARS? Oh my. All I can think of is if your diet is OK. I know when I am not eating right my hormones can get out of balance like that and then I can tear up over the craziest things.

There is a good forum here for dieting ideas. :thumbsup:

I'm seriously disapointed that you would make fun of another persons feelings. While you may have a good understanding of the background/bigger picture of this kind of purchase, it should be obvious that many others don't. Plus, you have no idea what kind of hardship Brother Phil might be going through at the moment. 

Please offer your insight - it helps us all to really appreciate the care and forethought that the Society takes in planning these kinds of things. But please don't mock another's expression of feelings! It's insensitive and unloving. 

Despite the "luxury" name, over half of the reviews are negative, the most common complaints being the high-crime area and cheap construction.

I haven't read the entire thread so this might already have been discussed but we don't know how many people will be using the apartments.

The newspaper and real estate agents may call them 'luxury' apartments but what if the brothers are planning to house 10-12 workers in each unit?

We don't know the exact short term or long term plans for the apartments and will just have to wait and see how they will be used. It really comes down to trusting the brothers are acting discreetly.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm seriously disapointed that you would make fun of another persons feelings. While you may have a good understanding of the background/bigger picture of this kind of purchase, it should be obvious that many others don't. Plus, you have no idea what kind of hardship Brother Phil might be going through at the moment. 

Please offer your insight - it helps us all to really appreciate the care and forethought that the Society takes in planning these kinds of things. But please don't mock another's expression of feelings! It's insensitive and unloving. 

Yes, we all try to be aware of each others feeling and intent, with that in mind I thought Trottigy was lovingly offering some suggestions that may help the brother. The brother may have been moved to tears by a situation that distressed him or he may need to look at his overall health to see if that is also causing some of his distress, I know many friends that are on special diets, vitamins, supplements or medication. Our imperfect minds and bodies are breaking down and we need to stick together and support each other every day.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

To be honest, I've been upset about this news.  I'm not trying to be critical but I was in tears about this the other night because I don't feel its right to purchase luxury apartments when there are congregations screaming for a Kingdom Hall.

I'm reminded of Jesus when he admired the needy widow who put in two small coins of very little value in the coin box.  That woman put in all that she had.  Today, many brothers and sisters will follow her example, putting the little means that they have in the coin box.  Where does that money get spent? On luxury items so it seems for those who work at our Headquarters.  I can't justify this up with my Bible trained conscience.  All this in mind, that money is to further the world wide work, and yet we are encouraged to use less literature to save money.  It really had me very upset the other night and I spent a great deal of time praying about it in tears.

Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, but it just doesn't feel right.  I'm spending 70 hours a month in service in very basic accommodation which is what we're encouraged to do, and then these luxury apartments are purchased for those at the top.  

On a more positive note, I wouldn't mind trying that swimming pool! lol

Brother Phill

Don't jump to any conclusions on these luxury apartments. No need for tears.

Close research will show they are not as described in the Brochure.

Many complaints by tenants, poor upkeep, poor construction, etc.

When the JWs first took over the tenants were surprised that someone was now picking up the garbage. this reflects the actual condition of the "Luxury Condos"

I am sure that they were purchased for bottom dollar and will prove to be a sound investment for the purpose for which they are purchased.

As in the UK, it costs a lot live in the US.

2 miilion dollars to build KH in the US is not uncommon. In many parts  Africa a hundred thousand dollars would be more than ample.

Money not wasted.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Italy has just recently had the privilege of having Bro. Lösch here for a zone visit. I was told that he was asked why the Society is purchasing property to house the volunteer construction workers instead of renting. He explained that renting is throwing money away. Whereas purchasing is a way to save money. Once the construction is finished and accomodation is no longer needed for the workers, the properties will be sold and we'll get the purchase price back - and possibly even more, because in the meantime, prices are increasing!

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

Yes, we all try to be aware of each others feeling and intent, with that in mind I thought Trottigy was lovingly offering some suggestions that may help the brother. The brother may have been moved to tears by a situation that distressed him or he may need to look at his overall health to see if that is also causing some of his distress, I know many friends that are on special diets, vitamins, supplements or medication. Our imperfect minds and bodies are breaking down and we need to stick together and support each other every day.

You are right. However, to just assume his worries are trivial and solely based on a hormonal imbalance is insensitive. Brother Old's response addresses the same issue, but is (in my humble opinion) much kinder and gentler.

The Brother's explanation as to why he felt the way he did was quite reasonable, and I'm sure it's no different to many others who don't know the full story behind the purchase.

When I heard about the number of Kingdom Halls to be built in the U.S., compared to those in poorer countries, I was similarly saddened — not enough to shed tears about it though. I have friends and family in P.N.G. who travel long distances to get to meetings. Many are extremely poor and can't afford to contribute to the building of a Kingdom Hall. "Why is the Society building so many Kingdom Halls in such an affluent country, and not the poorer ones?" I thought. After prayerful consideration, and after this months program, I am confident that they are doing the right thing.

Many of us have experiences with BTG's greed and misappropriation, and/or have worked for businesses like that. Moments of doubt will occasionally occur. Such concerns, and the feelings that result from them, should not be glibly attributed to hormonal imbalances.

Thankfully, responses like that in this forum are not common. And, part of the reason I was disappointed with Trottigy's response is that it does appear out of character for him. I meant no harm towards him. I was just concerned about Brother Phil.

So True Richard, people could of thought the society was being extravagant when they bought the Stanley Theater but look at what they made of it, and how much money it has saved us-not having to rent places for assemblies and conventions, etc. And it being a witness to Jehovah and his people in cleanliness etc to all the people around there. 

I am sure that just like they renovated that awesome facility there will be some renovating of Fishkill too. Making it all the better. 

Just a FYI, Bethel also has the BEST, number 1 restaurant in NYC. Yet, do we think that it must surely be too good for the Bethelites, they don't need that good of food. The rating is based on cleanliness, and well made meals... not exactly because of the expense of the food being served. 

It turns out that I owe Jerry (Trottigy) an apology for assuming that he knew nothing about Phil's (pboyes) background, and for interpreting his reply to Phil as mockery. Jerry had a much better understanding of the situation than I did.

Proverbs 15:2 echoes in my mind: "The tongue of the wise makes good use of knowledge, But the mouth of the stupid blurts out foolishness."

Just a FYI, Bethel also has the BEST, number 1 restaurant in NYC. Yet, do we think that it must surely be too good for the Bethelites, they don't need that good of food. The rating is based on cleanliness, and well made meals... not exactly because of the expense of the food being served. 

If you like Chicken. I can't eat chicken and 3 of 4 times have had lunch at Canada Bethel - it was chicken :sick: . However the rice was good :eat:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

If you like Chicken. I can't eat chicken and 3 of 4 times have had lunch at Canada Bethel - it was chicken :sick: . However the rice was good :eat:

In the Spanish Bethel wine is served with all meals. You can choose wine or water. :) I have heard that's unusual in other branches.

A glass of wine, or wine mixed with lemonade, is the most common drink for meals in Spain, anyway. And beer is served at MacDonalds. :o

I can see why some may question the amount of money spent for these apartments.  Yet, these ones serving up there are giving up so much of their lives to do this work for Jehovah.  I do not believe any of us would want them to be living in dumps.

Same with the CO's, moving every three years, not having a permanent home, carrying all their possessions in a car, spending time away from families, dealing with all the stuff they have to deal with at the congregations, etc.  Our Circuit has a very nice duplex for the English CO and the Spanish CO.  Every three years, the CO's and their wives are very thankful for the nice place they get to use for three years.  They have a small yard, barbecue, the wives often plant flowers.  I can't tell you how many times the CO's and their wives remark on the place we have for them and how it's the first time they felt like they had a real home.  Often there are tears from how happy they are to live in the home we have for them, even if it's only for 3 yrs.   As far as I am concerned, they deserve it!!!!  I can't begin to imagine being a CO and doing what they do.  So I don't care if they even have a nicer car then me, they deserve it.  

As to having a pool at Bethel, no problem with that either.  These brothers/sisters need exercise and recreation as much as the rest of us do, maybe more.  Life in Bethel is not easy, it's very, very, very busy work.  Very little free time for them.  Exercise is great for your health and it's great as a stress reducer.

I guess that is why it is nice to make points-counter points.  I took it as light hearted joking.  Knowing how Jerry has responed over the years to different ones makes me feel certian he is always there in our best interests.  I must say I can see how the one brother may have been hurt and moved to tears especially reading of his financial background, but I still would have been too embarassed to admit those feelings outloud.  It makes one appear a might bit jealous. At least to me it did.  And even though I don't know him I am sure he did not mean to make it sound the way it did to me.  After it was pointed out that someone else felt it was insensitive or publicly making fun of someone I see that too.  It makes me again stop and think we really do need to think before we speak.  But, it was also good advice.  Diet, rest, stress play such a major role in how we respond and understand things. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!