JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2902 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This happened some time ago at a Kingdom Hall Far Away. A young brother and his wife would snuggle up just before (and obviously through the prayer.) She would stand sideways and squeeze in close to him, double handed hugs and waist grabs, almost like doing the Lombada or the Bump. I was embarrassed when bringing a Bible Study to Kingdom Hall because it looked like we were sitting at the back row of the Bijou theater. (I sat in the back row because my three boys were small.)  Then she got dfd. Then he got remarried and both he and his new wife left the truth.  So, I guess my reaction was to people practicing PDA to an extreme at K.H. I believe this to be uncommon among Jehovah's people,generally, or maybe I am just a prude.  :blushing:

This happened some time ago at a Kingdom Hall Far Away. A young brother and his wife would snuggle up just before (and obviously through the prayer.) She would stand sideways and squeeze in close to him, double handed hugs and waist grabs, almost like doing the Lombada or the Bump. I was embarrassed when bringing a Bible Study to Kingdom Hall because it looked like we were sitting at the back row of the Bijou theater. (I sat in the back row because my three boys were small.)  Then she got dfd. Then he got remarried and both he and his new wife left the truth.  So, I guess my reaction was to people practicing PDA to an extreme at K.H. I believe this to be uncommon among Jehovah's people,generally, or maybe I am just a prude.  :blushing:

That is so sad. Is that a pet peeve?

I like your acronym PDA, I haven't heard that one before. I think there is a thread for acronyms if you would like to add your PDA to it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That is so sad. Is that a pet peeve?

I like your acronym PDA, I haven't heard that one before. I think there is a thread for acronyms if you would like to add your PDA to it.

That is another of my Pet Peeves, excessive acronyms. Because there can be so many meanings and these days people often don't put enough context. Thankfully our Sister Pauline used enough context I get the gist. But, when I hear PDA my mind always goes to the thing that has a built in stylus, audio recording or democrats. I guess I am just too old.

Edited by Brother Arellano

That is another of my Pet Peeves, excessive acronyms. Because there can be so many meanings and these days people often don't put enough context. Thankfully our Sister Pauline used enough context I get the gist. But, when I hear PDA my mind always goes to the thing that has a built in stylus, audio recording or democrats. 

Agreed  :D (I deleted the part about you being too old)

It took me a minute to figure it out.

Edited by RKibel
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

So, I guess my reaction was to people practicing PDA to an extreme at K.H. I believe this to be uncommon among Jehovah's people,generally, or maybe I am just a prude.  :blushing:

No Sis...By all means you are not a prude!  While it's one thing to affectionately put your arm around your mate during the prayer, it's quite the contrast to display full PDA during Christian activities. We had a nice WT article awhile back about this.  All of us need to set the example for the single ones in the congregation and especially for ones visiting or new in the truth.

We had a couple of teenagers constantly showing PDA during the meeting and were counseled. They didn't take well to the loving counsel from the Elders. Shocking   :?

We had a "No Snuggling during prayers and songs" local needs part awhile ago. :huh:

So since you know, that beg's the question. What counts as "snuggling"? In the congregations I have been in it is not unusual to embrace a loved one during the song or prayer. So where is the line and what was deemed appropriate?

WT 09 11/15 p.6

What Do Your Prayers Say About You?

19 When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential “fear of God.” (1 Pet. 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl. 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during such a prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore “do all things for God’s glory” and avoid conduct that could distract, shock, or stumble anyone.—1 Cor. 10:31, 32; 2 Cor. 6:3.

PDA is Publicly Displayed Affection or Public Display of Affection. It should be obvious where the boundary of decency lies. I also had a personal-digital-assistant some years ago.  I would have liked to hear that local needs part. 

I don't think that line is as easy to define as it seems. Regional, generational and cultural backgrounds all affect how we see things. As well as the fact that we all have developed our consciences to different levels. I've had discussions with some Brothers who think holding hands is inappropriate and those who's actions in public embarrass me.

I wouldn't call it a pet peeve, but I didn't see a category of strange or humorous things you have seen at Kingdom Halls. So, I'll add a couple: a sister who brought her perfume atomizer and frequently re-sprayed herself during the meeting; a sister re-applying her lipstick during the meeting; a sister who picks her ear out with q tips swabs during meetings. Sorry I couldn't think of any more unusual things re: brothers. Not humorous, but I guess a pet peeve is when people cough into their hands. 

WT 09 11/15 p.6

What Do Your Prayers Say About You?

19 When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential “fear of God.” (1 Pet. 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl. 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during such a prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore “do all things for God’s glory” and avoid conduct that could distract, shock, or stumble anyone.—1 Cor. 10:31, 32; 2 Cor. 6:3.

I remember when that WT came out, thanks for finding it.

I wouldn't call it a pet peeve, but I didn't see a category of strange or humorous things you have seen at Kingdom Halls. So, I'll add a couple: a sister who brought her perfume atomizer and frequently re-sprayed herself during the meeting; a sister re-applying her lipstick during the meeting; a sister who picks her ear out with q tips swabs during meetings. Sorry I couldn't think of any more unusual things re: brothers. Not humorous, but I guess a pet peeve is when people cough into their hands. 

a sister who brought her perfume atomizer and frequently re-sprayed herself during the meeting; ...forgot to take a shower...

a sister re-applying her lipstick during the meeting...had too much salt for dinner....

a sister who picks her ear out with q tips swabs during meetings....couldn't believe the whole meeting applied to her....

:D 

I thought of three mildly peevish behaviors:

1. When people brag about there children. Example:i) a Sister (was a BS then)frequently said: Aren't my daughters beautiful? Their hair is like spun gold, etc.  How does one answer questions like that? Example ii) I compliment a  dear sister on her daughter's behavior. That sets her into a response like this: "I know, my kids are good. They're really, really good. I have good kids. They work hard at every thing  (No "Thank you for the compliment.")

2. Same sister: We are having a small gathering at another sister's home. Sister with the good kids brings out her camera phone and wants us to look at every single picture that she/they took over the weekend, "Here we are in the car. Here we are at my mother's. Here is my mother's back yard. Here is my mother boiling water. Here's my mother cooking spaghetti........"By the time she is finished, we all have to go home and did not get to enjoy much in-the-moment company with the sisters.

3. People who undercut your compliments. Example:"Nice to see you. I like your dress." Response "Oh, this old thing."  :lol1: I guess many people do not say "thank you" for compliments these days.  p.s. Thanks for reading this. YS,pauline

I thought of three mildly peevish behaviors:

1. When people brag about there children. Example:i) a Sister (was a BS then)frequently said: Aren't my daughters beautiful? Their hair is like spun gold, etc.  How does one answer questions like that? Example ii) I compliment a  dear sister on her daughter's behavior. That sets her into a response like this: "I know, my kids are good. They're really, really good. I have good kids. They work hard at every thing  (No "Thank you for the compliment.")

2. Same sister: We are having a small gathering at another sister's home. Sister with the good kids brings out her camera phone and wants us to look at every single picture that she/they took over the weekend, "Here we are in the car. Here we are at my mother's. Here is my mother's back yard. Here is my mother boiling water. Here's my mother cooking spaghetti........"By the time she is finished, we all have to go home and did not get to enjoy much in-the-moment company with the sisters.

3. People who undercut your compliments. Example:"Nice to see you. I like your dress." Response "Oh, this old thing."  :lol1: I guess many people do not say "thank you" for compliments these days.  p.s. Thanks for reading this. YS,pauline

This leads into one of my pet peeves. The ever-growing lack of gracious and hospitable people Even among some of our Brothers. And I say some because its a very small group. Examples would be; when someone invites me to their home and you show up and the house is a mess and the furniture is covered in pet hair. Or being invited over and not being offered a beverage or treat. Maybe it is just the way I was raised, but I do miss these things when they aren't offered. 

After listening and being on the school, still brothers and some sisters say: Matthews, Jehovahs, Lukes, Johns, Revelations, just about every other book the friends add an "s".  Even in the field ministry, I'll work with some dear soul, and they say "Let me show here in the book of Matthews."   That's my pet peeve. 

After listening and being on the school, still brothers and some sisters say: Matthews, Jehovahs, Lukes, Johns, Revelations, just about every other book the friends add an "s".  Even in the field ministry, I'll work with some dear soul, and they say "Let me show here in the book of Matthews."   That's my pet peeve. 

Are they British? Some Brits say Je ho ver :deadhorse:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

New England, for sure says it that way. As that's where I was raised, it can slip out at times when I'm not thinking, but my dad never allowed us to say it that way without a slap as a reminder of the correct way, as he saw it.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I really like Br Jacksons talk about pronouncing Jehovah's name on the June broadcast. There are so many accents that an exact pronunciation is impossible but in this area it's pretty easy to listen to the Bible reading and understand how to pronounce each word.

I know all y'all in the south do it differently.  :D

If I lived in Texas, I'd be fixin to view Brother Jackson's talk again. Some parts of the USA are always 'fixin' to do some-n' :cowboy: . Personally, I enjoy local accents and phrase-ologies. I'm from Boston and have to take a refresher course every time I go home, or no one can understand me. :upsidedown:    

I think California and Colorado are the two states that don't have accents or slang, for sure dude, it would like gnarly if we did.

In some places, Mary, merry, and marry are pronounced identically the same (redundantly speaking). At lease (at very least) I know the difference. (I think :exclamation: )  YS, pauline

My wife who is American born ( Calif ) picks up accents like crazy. When down in Hillbilly country :gun-toot: , within 20 minutes the locals think she is a local. When she talks to my daughter in Newfieland ( Newfoundland ) she picks up the newfie accent. :loopy:  Irish, Scottish but not Brit accent :shrugs:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: