JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2900 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

People that brake and make a sharp turn to change lanes while driving.

Come on folks, changing lanes is not like driving an obstacle course!

:wall:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A lot of the friends use to call my wife and I "Kibbles and Bits". There was a funny TV commercial in the late 80's about two dogs, one was cute, the other wasn't.  :D

I didn't know there was Kibbles & Bits for cats, I thought it was just dog food. 

Edited by RKibel
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When the brother making car groups asks is anyone had plans and someone raises their hand, proceeds to ask if you want to work with them in front of the group. Like, what are you going to do, say no?

Of course you say that you would love to work with them....as long as they buy the coffee.. :D

When the brother making car groups asks is anyone had plans and someone raises their hand, proceeds to ask if you want to work with them in front of the group. Like, what are you going to do, say no?

Sounds like a great reason to make plans ahead of time. Of course me, I am happy to work with anyone. 

Our congregation territory is on the other side of town from the KH so we usually take all of the cars across town, reassemble in an empty parking lot and carpool from there. Sometimes someone in the group will stop on the way to make a call or grab something from home and not tell the rest of the group, so the whole car group is waiting for one person. Communication is the key!

I had a Sister fold her arms and say "NO! I don't want to work with her," meaning me. I had seen an empty assembly seat prior to this and asked to sit there. It was in a row between her parents and her and her husband. They cleared their stuff and let me sit there but she kept folding her arms and "harumphing" all through the session. I whispered and asked if she wanted me to move so she could put her things back there, and she said "No." but never spoke to me again. Her mother was very kind. 

Edited by kejedo

I had a Sister fold her arms and say "NO! I don't want to work with her," meaning me. I had seen an empty assembly seat prior to this and asked to sit there. It was in a row between her parents and her and her husband. They cleared their stuff and let me sit there but she kept folding her arms and "harumphing" all through the session. I whispered and asjed if she wanted me to move so she could put her things back there, and she said "No." but never spoke to me again. Her mother was very kind. 

Ouch. I hope she realizes what she is doing and changes her attitude.

Of course you say you would LOVE to work together, but you all know there is that one or two in your congregation that you cringe when you are in their group. You say a quick prayer for patience and do what you have to do. I just hope my face doesn't give away how I really feel :)

My only problem is when people wear perfume (cologne or fragrances) b/c I really can't breathe around it.  I wish I could. I wish we all could, but people are ruining Jehovah's beautiful earth with a conglomerate of chemical compounds. We have one special pioneer who always wears perfume. I have only gotten to work with her once. I carry two epi-pens at all times in case of emergency environmental exposure.  Anyway to get back on topic, If I am assigned to a group that includes a sister who bathes in Victoria Secret, I suddenly remember something I have to do. She rarely goes out in service, so it doesn't happen very often. She has said repeatedly, "Nobody better ever say anything to me about my perfume!" 

Edited by kejedo

Of course you say you would LOVE to work together, but you all know there is that one or two in your congregation that you cringe when you are in their group. You say a quick prayer for patience and do what you have to do. I just hope my face doesn't give away how I really feel :)

In normal conditions I think we should be willing to work with any brother or sister (I'm not talking about a health-related situation like the one Pauline mentions about the perfume). Of course you may feel more comfortable with some than with others, but I have found that often when I go out with a brother I don't like much and get to know him better, I discover that I like him more than I thought.

Sister Pauline: I, too, have serious reactions to some fragrances (I’m assuming the chemicals in them). Sometimes it can affect my concentration. More often it burns my eyes, nose & mouth leaving sores for days afterward. As it got worse over the years people often thought I was being anti-social or was having a panic attack. My husband encouraged me to be more vocal as to my reasons for having to leave a conversation or sit in the back room. It has taken a few years and most now are very conscious of my problem and I can do so much more in the congregation and in service.

I also react to some fragrances. Last month I was in a car group with two other people (father/daughter) who were fine, but then another brother joined us and I started sniffling and coughing (yes, from allergies). Poor brother felt sooo bad! I felt bad for him, but I couldn't mask my symptoms. He ended up moving to the front (had been sitting beside me), and we had the windows cracked open.

Pet peeve, itself,is an oxymoron, as is 'wicked good' which was heard frequently when I was in Maine (aka downeast). Which mathematician thought up "standard deviation"? 

Mine is chemo-therapy? whoever thought up that term, should be made terminal.  

(Sorry, puns are one of mt weaknesses).                      

My only problem is when people wear perfume (cologne or fragrances) b/c I really can't breathe around it.  I wish I could. I wish we all could, but people are ruining Jehovah's beautiful earth with a conglomerate of chemical compounds. We have one special pioneer who always wears perfume. I have only gotten to work with her once. I carry two epi-pens at all times in case of emergency environmental exposure.  Anyway to get back on topic, If I am assigned to a group that includes a sister who bathes in Victoria Secret, I suddenly remember something I have to do. She rarely goes out in service, so it doesn't happen very often. She has said repeatedly, "Nobody better ever say anything to me about my perfume!" 

I am truly baffled that fragrances of any sort are still a problem, when we are in close quarters with fellow Witnesses. We are told to keep our bodies clean, which body odor is sometimes, rarely noticed on another sis, or bro, but that is not as offensive as some of these fragrances!

And I have been on Bible studies that the household is trying to mask tobacco smoke. I don't see that in my future, as chemo blessed me with fragrance sensativity. 

Besides, what is wrong with the beautiful aroma of clean?      :?

I had a Sister fold her arms and say "NO! I don't want to work with her," meaning me. I had seen an empty assembly seat prior to this and asked to sit there. It was in a row between her parents and her and her husband. They cleared their stuff and let me sit there but she kept folding her arms and "harumphing" all through the session. I whispered and asked if she wanted me to move so she could put her things back there, and she said "No." but never spoke to me again. Her mother was very kind. 

An attitude like that could make her a goat!!!!!!!!

Our congregation territory is on the other side of town from the KH so we usually take all of the cars across town, reassemble in an empty parking lot and carpool from there. Sometimes someone in the group will stop on the way to make a call or grab something from home and not tell the rest of the group, so the whole car group is waiting for one person. Communication is the key!

We use to do this at our old KH. The hall we used was not in our territory, so we met for service at the hall and all drove to the parking lot in our territory.  What irritated me about this was often people would skip the service meeting (where we made the car groups) and just meet at the parking lot.  We had to then rearrange the car groups to accommodate those ones.  And it wasn't one or two that did this, it was quite a few.  

And my pet peeve is ones who are late for service.  I am not referring to ones who once in while run late, but the ones who are always late. They get there after we do car groups, then we have to take more time to change them up due to late comers.  We have a service group in our home now and sadly, it's often our SGO that is running late.  And he will usually text at 935 (we meet at 930 am) and say "I'm running late" really, I think we know that already, lol.

Edited by ava

We use to do this at our old KH. The hall we used was not in our territory, so we met for service at the hall and all drove to the parking lot in our territory.  What irritated me about this was often people would skip the service meeting (where we made the car groups) and just meet at the parking lot.  We had to then rearrange the car groups to accommodate those ones.  And it wasn't one or two that did this, it was quite a few.  

And my pet peeve is ones who are late for service.  I am not referring to ones who once in while run late, but the ones who are always late. They get there after we do car groups, then we have to take more time to change them up due to late comers.  We have a service group in our home now and sadly, it's often our SGO that is running late.  And he will usually text at 935 (we meet at 930 am) and say "I'm running late" really, I think we know that already, lol.

We do the second meeting at parking lot routine. Sometimes, I get gas on the way to the parking lot, b/c I do not want to make a point of gassing up, and make people feel they need to contribute.  If some are meeting in the parking lot, they usually have made arrangements ahead of time. The only time this is a bit confusing is afternoons, when we don't have an official meeting for field service.  I would like scheduled afternoon meetings for field service, b/c they worked well in my previous congregation.

Since our territory is quite rural and has some small towns in it, when we work in one of those towns we just move the meeting to the parking lot we intend to leave the cars in instead of meeting at the Hall first.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

If you Lived in the deep south and your pet peeve is pronunciation of words at the meetings  in one month you would either be on Prozac, Commit Murder, or move.

I really like Br Jacksons talk about pronouncing Jehovah's name on the June broadcast. There are so many accents that an exact pronunciation is impossible but in this area it's pretty easy to listen to the Bible reading and understand how to pronounce each word.

I know all y'all in the south do it differently.  :D

That's for sure Don. Sometimes at the meetings I have to hide behind my jacket, I am laughing so hard. One meeting that stands out in my mind was a Watchtower Study that had the word "public" used many times. The brother reading pronounced it "pubic". I struggled through the entire lesson.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.