JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2902 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My wife who is American born ( Calif ) picks up accents like crazy. When down in Hillbilly country :gun-toot: , within 20 minutes the locals think she is a local. When she talks to my daughter in Newfieland ( Newfoundland ) she picks up the newfie accent. :loopy:  Irish, Scottish but not Brit accent :shrugs:

Like your wife, I accidentally pick up accents (as well as body gestures.) There is truly no intention to be so impressionable. What is ironic is that I taught ESL for years. I was a good mimic, so if someone was teaching me a word/phrase in their native language, that was a good thing. If I accidentally mimicked their speech, I had to be very careful to not come off as presumptuous (or worse).  Once, when I was working with another sister (different job), the sister asked me what another supervisor said. I repeat the message as heard. The sister said, " You did her perfectly. Oh, do me, do me!" I explained that I was not trying to "do" anyone. My oldest son has the same pitch when re-iterating a message from someone else. We can laugh about our foibles together, but  not in front of others.  (Don't want to be someone else's pet peeve.)  :backflip:  

Edited by kejedo

ESL?  Exact Sign Language? I know a couple of sisters who used to use it, but had to learn ASL for assemblies.

ESL or English as a second language is a misnomer, as many already have two languages. Statistically, English is known to be the most common "Second Language" worldwide. I am working on learning to speak Canadia, eh? I learned the territories long ago, but they never taught me Nunavut. None-of-it, a'tall.

Edited by kejedo

This leads into one of my pet peeves. The ever-growing lack of gracious and hospitable people Even among some of our Brothers. And I say some because its a very small group. Examples would be; when someone invites me to their home and you show up and the house is a mess and the furniture is covered in pet hair. Or being invited over and not being offered a beverage or treat. Maybe it is just the way I was raised, but I do miss these things when they aren't offered. 

A few years ago I went to the Netherlands for a short visit my family (I have lived in Canada for decades now, and used to go back every few years). At the meeting, a couple who used to have the BS in their home invited me to come and visit with them. I didn't really want to go, but to be polite I agreed, and made room in my schedule. I thought they would want to chat about how my life was now, how their kids where (their daughter was just a bit younger than me), etc. Imagine my surprise when we spent the whole visit looking at their most recent vacation pictures displayed on their TV! Yep, great fun. :(

Like your wife, I accidentally pick up accents (as well as body gestures.) There is truly no intention to be so impressionable. What is ironic is that I taught ESL for years. I was a good mimic, so if someone was teaching me a word/phrase in their native language, that was a good thing. If I accidentally mimicked their speech, I had to be very careful to not come off as presumptuous (or worse).  Once, when I was working with another sister (different job), the sister asked me what another supervisor said. I repeat the message as heard. The sister said, " You did her perfectly. Oh, do me, do me!" I explained that I was not trying to "do" anyone. My oldest son has the same pitch when re-iterating a message from someone else. We can laugh about our foibles together, but  not in front of others.  (Don't want to be someone else's pet peeve.)  :backflip:  

I had a doc appointment this afternoon. My primary is from Gujarat India, and had a new assistant today. I got to talk to the new person alone for a while before my doc got to the exam room. I always try to learn everyone's name in the office,b/c I have placed literature, that way. I asked where she was from: The Bronx. She wanted to guess where I was from. I deliberately spoke with a Gujarati accent. "Are you from India?" she asked me. "Close, from Boston." "No, you can't be from Boston." Ha-ha, next time I will reconstruct a New England accent. B)  

I had a doc appointment this afternoon. My primary is from Gujarat India, and had a new assistant today. I got to talk to the new person alone for a while before my doc got to the exam room. I always try to learn everyone's name in the office,b/c I have placed literature, that way. I asked where she was from: The Bronx. She wanted to guess where I was from. I deliberately spoke with a Gujarati accent. "Are you from India?" she asked me. "Close, from Boston." "No, you can't be from Boston." Ha-ha, next time I will reconstruct a New England accent. B)  

If you are a fan of accents and reproducing accents you should search YouTube for "Accent Challenge". They can be interesting to watch. 

When my wife isn't feeling good and cuts my hair ( as in today ). It used to be the only difference between a good hair cut and a bad hair cut was 2 weeks.

My just done cut looks like a 2 or 3 month cut difference. :(  Any shorter and I'd look like Jerry - solar :sunshine: collector & all. :depressed:

Gonna hafta wear a :cowboy:  in the summer time. I burn easy being - well formerly now - a blond. :cry:

She called it my summer hair cut.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

My just done cut looks like a 2 or 3 month cut difference. 

Hair grows an average of .5 inch a month, is your hair 1.5 inches too short?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hair grows an average of .5 inch a month, is your hair 1.5 inches too short?

It is maybe 0.5".  When I got the truth, I let my hair grow longer, maybe as long as 4" on top. When young I always had a 1" brush cut, but never a crew cut. My current hair is almost military short. :shutup:

Years ago friends in my home town asked me "What's with the curly hair?" I never knew my hair was naturally wavy, because I always had it short - just not this short - it is almost ELISHA short. :oops:   Hi Jerry!

Edited by pnutts

Got the kitten sittin on my sholder battin at my ear. :poke:post-5252-0-17583900-1434069754_thumb.jp my pic fell down. Maybe someone can fix it. Shows up normal on puter.

Edited by pnutts

Got the kitten sittin on my sholder battin at my ear. :poke:attachicon.gif20150611_204040.jpg my pic fell down. Maybe someone can fix it. Shows up normal on puter.

You should wear the cat more often, looks good.  :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I used to have a "conventional businessman's haircut" when I was younger. But, I sweat like a leaky faucet and I work outside. My hair was having problems because I have to wash it every night.

Some years back, in order to fix the hair, I was told I needed to cut it all of and let it grow back. Well, I cut it all to the shortest attachment my clippers have. The same cut over the entire head - NOT a "crew cut" and not actually a "military cut".

Well, it seemed to do the trick - except that I have worn it this way ever since.

Funny thing is, I am less bald on top than I used to be when it was longer.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My wife wants me to have the Jerry - I mean the Elisha look so I will fit in with many of the brothers who are folliclely challenged.

Gotta go. 5 AM comes early and it is CONVENTION time :oops::bouncing:

Edited by pnutts

When my wife isn't feeling good and cuts my hair ( as in today ). It used to be the only difference between a good hair cut and a bad hair cut was 2 weeks.

My just done cut looks like a 2 or 3 month cut difference. :(  Any shorter and I'd look like Jerry - solar :sunshine: collector & all. :depressed:

Gonna hafta wear a :cowboy:  in the summer time. I burn easy being - well formerly now - a blond. :cry:

She called it my summer hair 

I have not  heard hair length mentioned in the new service info, which I also have not heard (of?) Nor have I heard of any new info for the upcoming service year, especially about coifs or dos. Hats are a good thing. :party:  :chef:  :chinese:

Edited by kejedo

When my wife isn't feeling good and cuts my hair ( as in today ).

My wife cut my hair for years but developed trigger finger and had to stop. My pet peeve (staying on topic) is finding a good barber. I've tried several hair chains (Supercuts, Great Clips, etc) and sometimes you get a good cut and sometimes you don't.

My wife cut my hair for years but developed trigger finger and had to stop. My pet peeve (staying on topic) is finding a good barber. I've tried several hair chains (Supercuts, Great Clips, etc) and sometimes you get a good cut and sometimes you don't.

I go to a barber chain called 'Floyd's'. Of course for me it's just for a shave and not really a haircut.

http://www.floydsbarbershop.com

Edited by Brother Arellano

I go to a barber chain called 'Floyd's'. Of course for me it's just for a shave and not really a haircut.

http://www.floydsbarbershop.com

It looks nice but they don't have any in NorCal.

Floyd's Barber Shop is in Mayberry RFD

For a shave and a haircut = 2 bits.

For just a shave = doesn't compute.

Just a shave can be very relaxing. They use a straight razor like I do at home. But, they have hot towels and pleasant music. It's nice to have a bit of luxury sometimes. And it's a bit more than two bits now.

From the time I was a very young child and first started needing actual haircuts, my Mother cut my hair. She used genuine, professional electric barber clippers and cut "freehand" with a comb - no wedge shaped attachments for the left and right side of the head or for length.

Long after I was married she finally got to where she could no longer cut my hair. Up to this point, I had never been to a barber.

The next time I needed a haircut, my Brother and I were talking about how you can find a good barber - his wife took over cutting his hair some years after they were married .... our Mother used to cut his, too. He said I should ask his wife - so I did - and she cut my hair ... that one time.

After that, I started cutting it myself.

I still have never been to a barber :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

She was on the high end subgroup that had meetings for Service at an exclusive restaurant, by invitation only. One Sunday,after meeting, I was out alone in service, the only one who stayed at KH for the arranged meeting. It was near the end of the month and I had asked a sister, on Saturday (day before), if she was going out on Sunday, and she said 'yes', so I stupidly assumed she would be at the KH service group, but no one there but me. It was raining terribly, and on my solitary travels, the Sister I had spoken to was at a pricey Restaurant with the 10,000 dollar pioneer. I decided to speak up (for once), and later during that week, I said to the sister I had spoken to on Saturday." Boy, it was lonely on Sunday afternoon out in the rain. I thought you would be at the KH for service." She said, "we already had our group of five. There was no room for anyone else. " I actually should have anticipated it, because on a previous Sunday afternoon, the 10k pio asked me to work with a sister and her 3 children (who were just getting back to meetings.) It was snowy, in Maine, and I had on heels, but I went out with the Sister and her children, anyway. The sister who asked me to accompany the family in service went to the restaurant with her group. So, I didn't take it personally. Everyone is trying to serve Jehovah, and I can look back at it humorously. 

You have a much better sense of humour than I, sis!!!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻