JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2902 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

When Americans etc say 'the English accent'. Don't you know that we all speak perfect English like what Her Maj does!?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

When Americans etc say 'the English accent'. Don't you know that we all speak perfect English like what Her Maj does!?

Ah... well some of us do have an impression of what an english accent is. But, you can't really blame us. For most of us it comes from tv. The same as other countries have strange ideas of what constitutes an American accent. To my knowledge there are about 30 distinct dialects in the United States. 

It may of already been said (because I didn't want to read through all 251 posts to post!) but my pet peeve is people who want to know WHY you missed a meeting and will pretty much stop at nothing to find out.  It's enough to say "I missed you, so nice to see you back with us" instead of "Were you on vacation?, have you been sick?, it's not like you to miss a meeting, what's the deal?"

Isn't it enough to know that I wasn't there (and trust that I had a good reason) and now I'm back?!!! Really - get a life! 

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

People that pull up to a 4 way stop sign before you do and then don't take their turn, they wait for you to go and then they start moving the same time you do...

B)

And this is wrong, somehow?

And this is wrong, somehow?

In some parts of the country...yes.  :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My pet peeve is people misspelling & mispronouncing words. :deadhorse:  Wait, I do that all the time. :D

Then we have the Newfie's, Aussies, Brits, and especially the Yanks who can't spell colour :bouncing:

They also don't know difference between Stephen & Steven, what is worse one side of America is different than the other.

Don't forget the orientals :chinese: who say "Chicky flyed lice.

Excuse me? Brits do know how to spell "colour" c-o-l-o-U-r is it not?

"Millenniums" is one that annoys me. And axe without an e...

:D

Mispronounced Biblical words can be annoying, but I try to remember that not everyone can be as good at pronunciation as everyone else. 

Ah... well some of us do have an impression of what an english accent is. But, you can't really blame us. For most of us it comes from tv. The same as other countries have strange ideas of what constitutes an American accent. To my knowledge there are about 30 distinct dialects in the United States. 

Yes, although I am from Britain, I know that there are many different American accents and dialects. I can also just about tell the difference between American and Canadian and Australian and New Zealand, which many Brits can't do. I can only tell because of studying them. 

American      Canadian

"About"         "Aboot"

Australian             New Zealand

"Fish and chips"   "Fush and chups"

One thing that annoys me, speaking of the "English accent" issue is people (including fellow Brits) saying that I am from England. As it happens, it is true that I am from England, I am ethnically English, but there are many people from the UK who are not

Even though brothers and sisters who are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish are not nationalistic about their "country" they just find the geographical incorrectness of being called "English" annoying. 

I usually refer to myself as being from Britain, or Great Britain, which by-the-way is the geographical name of the island I live on, it has nothing to do with the "greatness" of the nation, even though it is used that way a lot, especially by worldly patriots. 

The Romans discovered that the natives of the island of the coast of Calais and the natives in north-west France were ethnically similar and spoke similar languages. They called the natives "Britons", and they called the island "Britannia", meaning "land of Britons". In the Middle Ages, Geoffrey of Monmouth in his work Historia Regnum Britanniae distinguished between the two areas inhabited by Britons by referring to the small part of France as "Britannia Minor" and the much larger island as "Britannia Major". Translated into English we get "Great Britain". Interestingly Ptolemy also used the term "Great Britain" to distinguish the large island from the smaller Ireland, which he called "Little Britain". North-west France is called "Brittany" and in modern French it is called "Bretagne", and the island is called "Grande Britagne". They are literally calling the island "Big Britanny". 

So I tend to identify as being from the island Great Britain, but because of modern associations with the British Empire, I usually drop the "Great" among brothers in case they get the wrong impression. 

Sorry for the long post, only geographical history is a passion of mine so inaccuracy is a pet peeve too.  :D

Yes, you know the difference between English ans British - but you use the term "American" as opposed to Canadian.

Canadians ARE Americans, as are those from Mexico - and, of course, so are those from the US. America is the Continent, United States is the Country.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yes, you know the difference between English ans British - but you use the term "American" as opposed to Canadian.

Canadians ARE Americans, as are those from Mexico - and, of course, so are those from the US. America is the Continent, United States is the Country.

You know what you're right! I guess it's just difficult to say "United States people". I suppose I would say Americans for people from the USA and North Americans for the broader context. 

BTW, New Yorker is probably my favourite American accent...or should that be New Yoiker?

:lol:

Uhhh, I live in Canada and have never heard anyone say "aboot", unless they were referring to footwear :)

Come to think of it, US Americans can't listen in English either, just US American :deadhorse: :deadhorse: Reminds me of the German who wanted to "become ( n )" a hotdog :upsidedown: 

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Uhhh, I live in Canada and have never heard anyone say "aboot", unless they were referring to footwear :)

I would conclude you have never been to Vancouver Island, Port Alberni as an example.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I was standing to check out at an under 10 item grocery line. A woman comes up behind me and shows me her package of cigarettes. "You don't mind if I go first," she says,"I left my truck running outside." The response: "Actually, I do. If it were baby food, I would feel differently." Incidentally, it is illegal to leave one's vehicle running (unless you just started it with a remote). I didn't say the rest. It took all of my guts to answer, at all.

Lol this made me think of the day a woman with a full basket asked if she could get in front of me because her son was hungry and crying... But she had a daughter next to her who was not crying and the son wasn't anywhere in sight.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I would conclude you have never been to Vancouver Island, Port Alberni as an example.

You just can't hear Canadjan right. Besides der dun be a lot of forenners der, some frum Orient, some frum da US

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

When a speaker cites the Watchtower as his authority, as in " The Watchtower of Dec. the umpteenth tells us ..."

The only authority we have for a public talk is the Bible. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

This leads into one of my pet peeves. The ever-growing lack of gracious and hospitable people Even among some of our Brothers. And I say some because its a very small group. Examples would be; when someone invites me to their home and you show up and the house is a mess and the furniture is covered in pet hair. Or being invited over and not being offered a beverage or treat. Maybe it is just the way I was raised, but I do miss these things when they aren't offered. 

Another way of saying, "hospitality". It does seem to have gone the way of hop skirts.

Seriously, way back then, people did have to really go  to some lengths to visit other friends, be they in the truth or not. That was the reason for being hospitable. It appears our lives are so busy, now, we don't appreciate the finer points of loving one another.

Truly sad situation.

• 8 months later...
On 5/29/2015 at 7:06 PM, Tortuga said:

Do you have a small, lighthearted pet peeve that you want to share?

When I was growing up I remember there was a lot of emphasis on the proper way to pronounce words in the Bible, the most common word we were reminded to pronounce correctly was Philis'tine.

My pet peeve is the number of friends that say Phili'stine (Fill-Ah-Steen) instead of Philis'tine (Fah-Lis-Teen)

That's it. It's off my chest now  :)

Ca·perʹna·um.

Some are stuck saying Capper-Numb. . .GRR.

The queen in the book of Esther, Vash-TEE,  instead of Vash-TIE

On 5/29/2015 at 8:42 PM, train said:

My big issue is with mispronounciations during any planned readings - school #1s, WT readers, CBS readers... Check your content beforehand and make sure you've got those words right!

Agreed. And please brothers, prepare ahead of time and read thoughts and feelings instead of just words.

On 8/4/2015 at 3:45 PM, timsimmk said:

Excuse me? Brits do know how to spell "colour" c-o-l-o-U-r is it not?

"Millenniums" is one that annoys me. And axe without an e...

Mispronounced Biblical words can be annoying, but I try to remember that not everyone can be as good at pronunciation as everyone else. 

millenniums i think are those who lived 1990+ or 2000+

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)