JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I remember when ...

My aunt is in that photo above...

She's the one third from the left, next to the sister holding the flowers. She spent her entire adult life in Australia Bethel, so I remember when I got this picture:

post-4283-0-40982600-1441893977_thumb.jp

The sister on the right was the wife of our CO several years ago and she was working in the infirmary when my aunt was having the dizzy spells which were the beginnings of her dementia.

They were walking along the corridor one day and my aunt felt a spell coming on and so she just sat down right there.

"If it's okay for Linda to sit down," the other sisters said, "it's okay for us too."

And someone took the picture.

They looked after my aunt with great care and love until she died about ten years ago. She was 89.

Oh Ray I'm not as young as you, lol,but I do remember waiting for days for the photos at the pharmacy, the 78s (forgot about those). And do you remember the time before zip codes? And when it took days for the mail? I even remember the 5 cent postage stamp. And oh yes, when there were only certain TV channels and even those went off at a certain time.

Oh and the record player, then the stereo. Blankets kept in the car for cold drives because there weren't any heat in cars. Speaking of cars: six can seat comfortably, three in the front,three in the back. Real leather. And remember the station wagons? Comfortable ride. And let's not forget the beds: metal springs, real mattresses where you can really jump on. And pillow...feathers for pillow fights, lol.

And (be patient y'all, I'm on a roll, lol). Homemade cake, pies, biscuits, dumplings, etc from scatch. Yum!!! There were no such thing much as frozen collards, etc. You really cooked it,c or suffered the reputation as being lazy. Too hot? Too bad! You did what had to be done.

Edited by Luezette

Luezette, I do remember when 'zip codes' (postcodes here) came in...

And the signs coming into towns all sprouted the addition of four digits to suit.

And postage stamps for regular letters, I remember them being 2½d (roughly what you'd now call 2.5 cents), I remember the fuss when they went up to 3d.

I remember when the kids around me at school sang "God Save The King"...

I remember when brand new pennies had the king's head on them.

I remember when the Watchtower and Awake were in the bigger format.

post-4283-0-85167800-1441923198.jpg

I remember the time we went to help tear down an old house for materials for the first Granville Kingdom Hall.

I remember the mulberry trees in the back yard, the chook pen down the back. I remember eating the mulberries and collecting the eggs, I remember my dad cutting the heads off the odd chook for dinner.

I remember my mum and I in the woodshed, and she said to me: "If you have confidence in yourself, you can do anything!"

I don't remember realising at that time how big an impact that statement would have on my life...

post-4283-0-85167800-1441923198.jpg

Raymond G.

"I remember when the Watchtower and Awake were in the bigger format."

​I think you will find that the Awake! and it's predecessor the Consolation were the same size as our current magazines. The Watchtower was almost tabloid size as you picture well illustrates.

I was present in Cleveland when the Awake! was released, but I can't discount my faulty memory.  :wheelchair:

Synapses reaching out, and there is no one there.    :unsure:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I can't find a similar picture of an Awake, Jerry...

But on looking at a PDF scan and counting the lines of type, there are 50 back then compared to 40 now. But as the Watchtower was then running about 55-60 lines per page. So you may well be right there, or maybe there was even an intermediate size?

But what I do have to ask, were you in short pants at Cleveland? Or maybe your mother's arms?

No, that's just a pic I got from the JW.org site...

I said that 'I remember when', those memories were of the pile of them on my grandmother's little table in her house when I was quite young.

Jerry, on the other hand, did go close to dating himself. That's why I asked that last question. I have a suspicion we go very close, however.

I can't find a similar picture of an Awake, Jerry...

But on looking at a PDF scan and counting the lines of type, there are 50 back then compared to 40 now. But as the Watchtower was then running about 55-60 lines per page. So you may well be right there, or maybe there was even an intermediate size?

But what I do have to ask, were you in short pants at Cleveland? Or maybe your mother's arms?

Long pants.

See attached picture. This was taken just outside the stadium with a new release. I thought it was the green "Let God be True"  but the cover doesn't look right.

Front row left to right: my sister Lyn Lytle, cousin Charles Maxwell, Me  looking over my shoulder.

Back row left to right" My Mother Maryjean Lytle, my Aunt June Maxwell, my Grandmother Betty Shilton organist for WBBR, Uncle Chuck Maxwell.

post-4460-0-83688000-1442000568.jpg

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I also was at the Cleveland convention when Awake replaced the Consolation magazine and we received the "Let God Be True" book. Can you imagine what people would think if we tried to start a Bible study out of  book like that. My mom was a regular pioneer in those days and at one time she had 20 bible studies going using the green  "Let God be True" book with several of them going on to becoming our bros and sis. My parents actually studied in the "Children" book back in 1940. The WT. yesterday sure brought back a lot of memories. My Dad was THE Company Servant for many years.  What changes we have seen over the years. My dad died in 1991 and mom in 2011 and if they could see what we have now, they wouldn't think it was the same org. I was talking to my son this morning about all these changes and he said he was sure they would be aghast at using electronics in our preaching work.

Edited by Agent MOM

Lynn, Is that the 1946 version? I remember it as being green, but memory is tricky.

The 1952 version was brown, we had one of those on the shelf until we moved to the coast.

Strange in the abbreviations index only the 1952 revised is listed, nothing for 1946.

In 5 years there must have been a lot of new light. I remember studying the congregation book study in the '52 version, even got to conduct a few CBS using the LGBT. 

I don't remember studying the '46 version. We didn't have a CBS in our town until the 50s. I was much too young to remember much if anything that might have changed from the '46 version.

I managed to blow the photo up enough to read "Let God Be True”. The shading would appear to be brown, not a dark green slick finish like I remember it.

I also was at the Cleveland convention when Awake replaced the Consolation magazine and we received the "Let God Be True" book. Can you imagine what people would think if we tried to start a Bible study out of  book like that. My mom was a regular pioneer in those days and at one time she had 20 bible studies going using the green  "Let God be True" book with several of them going on to becoming our bros and sis. My parents actually studied in the "Children" book back in 1940. The WT. yesterday sure brought back a lot of memories. My Dad was THE Company Servant for many years.  What changes we have seen over the years. My dad died in 1991 and mom in 2011 and if they could see what we have now, they wouldn't think it was the same org. I was talking to my son this morning about all these changes and he said he was sure they would be aghast at using electronics in our preaching work.

Hi Dorothy, we must have missed each other.

Do you remember the sisters that embroidered their magazine bags to read Awake! instead of Consolation? Embroidered magazine bags were very popular in Cleveland but my Mom was amazed that they did it so fast and were out on the street with the new mag and redecorated bags the next day.

OK so it was green, I was questioning my memory. Thank you.

I remember the first day. My Mother leading these two little kids through a throng headed for the stadium, telling us this "was the throng heading to the New World." She started noticing that this throng had very few women in it. Next she noted the uncultured throng was lining up at the ticket booths. She had forgotten the first days program was not taking place at the stadium, but a facility a few blocks away. (Conflict with an Indians game.)  We made it just as the afternoon program was beginning. At the break my Grandmother took us backstage and introduced us to Brother Knorr, Brother Franz and several others whom I don't remember. She had been Bethel for about one year and was still totally star struck.

It blows my mind to this day that my mother took two little kids from California to Ohio and back by her self.