JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I remember when ...

I remember when they landed on the moon. I was 5 and my dad woke me up to show me the 'giant leap'. I remember asking why there was no one filming from the surface!

#aBitThick

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

i remember 8 tracks and 45s and CB radios and telephones with a cord...

playing jacks and 'hide-and-go-seek' and hopscotch on the sidewalk...   

drive-in movies, hanging the speaker on your car window...

rabbit ears and ice cube trays and clackety clack typewriters. with a ribbon...

WT &Awake! subscriptions...

Red Skelton, Phyllis Diller, and Carol Burnett...

when drivers stopped at the crosswalks for pedestrians and gentlemen gave up their seat to a lady...

when kids respected teachers, and getting sent to the principal's office was frightening...

looking for coins in the street upon hearing music from the Dinga-Ling ice cream man coming thru our neighborhood. always on schedule...

saturday nights piling into the back of a hay-filled pickup truck heading to the country, packing our guitars & harmonicas on our way to spend the night singing aroud a campfire...

ahh, simpler times

Edited by feather

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I remember when I remember.

I wish I could remember what I forgot.

I am being to believe in the 'hereafter'. Every time I walk into a room I ask myself, what am I here after? - paraphrased from Ronald Reagan.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

More things I remember: Saturday morning cartoons starting at 6;30 with an icky one so you had time for a bowl of Cheerios before Bugs Bunny Road Runner hour came on; hanging the sheets on the clothsline in the winter so they could freeze dry; sharing a bed with my sister; scraping the ice off the inside of the window to see how much snow fell; getting floofy dresses from a bunch of women doing a performance; never having a bedroom door and running out to the outhouse in dad's shoes cause they're easy to get back off; looking forward to helping milk the cow because her udder was so warm.

I'm sick with flu and am cold therefore it seems my memories are all winter (cold) related! More tea...  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I wish I could remember what I forgot.

I am being to believe in the 'hereafter'. Every time I walk into a room I ask myself, what am I here after? - paraphrased from Ronald Reagan.

Another paraphrase by Ronald Reagan is: "well". That word was used a lot by him while he was getting older or losing his mind. 

I remember Martin Milner in 'Adam-12' and Judy Carne in 'Laugh-In'

:(

Judy Carne was married to Burt Reynolds. She was also in a sitcom titled "Love on a Rooftop." She has passed away. I don't know if her epitaph says "Sock it to me," but it was certainly her tag line. 

Judy Carne just died on Sept 3 at age 76 of pneumonia

Beside her comedy and marriage to Burt, she also had a problem with drugs and was bisexual (Her autobiography, Laughing on the Outside, Crying on the Inside: The Bittersweet Saga of the Sock-It-To-Me Girl (1985), chronicled her difficulties with drugs, her failed marriage to Reynolds, and her bisexuality)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

i remember 8 tracks and 45s and CB radios and telephones with a cord...
  playing jacks and 'hide-and-go-seek' and hopscotch on the sidewalk...   
  drive-in movies, hanging the speaker on your car window...
   rabbit ears and ice cube trays and clackety clack typewriters. with a ribbon...
   WT &Awake! subscriptions...
     Red Skelton, Phyllis Diller, and Carol Burnett...

when drivers stopped at the crosswalks for pedestrians and gentlemen gave up their seat to a lady...
      when kids respected teachers, and getting sent to the principal's office was frightening...
       looking for coins in the street upon hearing music from the Dinga-Ling ice cream man coming thru our neighborhood. always on schedule...
       saturday nights piling into the back of a hay-filled pickup truck heading to the country, packing our guitars & harmonicas on our way to spend the night singing aroud a campfire...

ahh, simpler times

Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason personified a character "poor soul." For people who remember these comedians, it is an easy illustration that the 'soul' is the 'self.' 

Judy Carne just died on Sept 3 at age 76 of pneumonia

Beside her comedy and marriage to Burt, she also had a problem with drugs and was bisexual (Her autobiography, Laughing on the Outside, Crying on the Inside: The Bittersweet Saga of the Sock-It-To-Me Girl (1985), chronicled her difficulties with drugs, her failed marriage to Reynolds, and her bisexuality)

I always told my students, "Two goals I would never want: to be rich or famous." Our current mag placement mentions that the amount of money one has acquired is not the issue, but the attitude towards it is important. Famous people, as in the bio mentioned, are generally not happy. I also feel that a goal to become rich is futile. There may well be some of our brothers of sisters who happen to have excess income. I just don't know any.  

Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason personified a character "poor soul." For people who remember these comedians, it is an easy illustration that the 'soul' is the 'self.' 

I remember Soupy Sales and being told to get the green stuff out of mom's purse and mail it to him...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

In my mother's day, there used to be something called a poll tax. Her community constructed a small building for people to go in and pay their price. After that, the poll tax was eliminated, as she told it, but the structure still stood. A family with many children moved in, and apparently no one in town thought much of it. So, they continued on living in the 'toll booth.'    

In my mother's day, there used to be something called a poll tax. Her community constructed a small building for people to go in and pay their price. After that, the poll tax was eliminated, as she told it, but the structure still stood. A family with many children moved in, and apparently no one in town thought much of it. So, they continued on living in the 'toll booth.'    

I just looked up the history of the poll tax in MA. It was officially over by 1963, but my mother was born in 1927, so I am not sure if each city and town uniformly exercised its right to collect a poll tax. I believe the time frame she was talking about was in the 1930s - 40s. 

Rumble seats

Air raid alarms and blackouts

War Bonds

Gold stars house windows

Listening to the radio:

Gun Smoke

Fanny Brice in The Baby Snooks Show

The Nelson Family

The Aldrich Family 

The Lone Ranger and Tonto

The Cisco Kid

Bobby Benson of the B-B

Fibber McGee and Molly

Tom Mix brought to you by Instant Ralston

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Rumble seats

Air raid alarms and blackouts

War Bonds

Gold stars house windows

Listening to the radio:

Gun Smoke

Fanny Brice in The Baby Snooks Show

The Nelson Family

The Aldrich Family 

The Lone Ranger and Tonto

The Cisco Kid

Bobby Benson of the B-B

Fibber McGee and Molly

Tom Mix brought to you by Instant Ralston

Mighty Mouse, brought to you by Ipana toothpaste. Incidentally, I have a call (RV) with two dogs, "Fibber McGee and Molly"

I remember almost as much as Jerry (Old)...

But I make no claims about telling Wilbur it wouldn't work, I wasn't there that day.

I definitely remember when my grandmother always had patty cakes coming out of the oven when we arrived. When my grandparents kept a cow on their suburban block and their suburban block was about two acres.

I remember the introduction of the rotary mower. I remember when fewer people had the phone than now don't have cellphones. I remember when it was called a 'railway station' and not a 'train station'.

I remember when kids walked to school, and mum waved them goodbye from the gate. I remember when we were allowed to play down at the creek and nobody thought it was a problem.

I remember when mothers stayed home and looked after the home while fathers went to work. And some of the fathers had to catch the bus or walk or ride their bike, but that might have been affected by Jerry's coupons as we were seriously affected by petrol rationing here.

Someone mentioned LPs... I remember when there were 78s, I'm surprised Jerry didn't mention that one, and I remember when 45s came in and then 33s, and there were 16 2/3 settings on the record players as well.

I remember when it was the radio serials that got kids enthralled after school, not television. I remember when the radio stations went to sleep at night, and TV channels did that too for many years afterwards.

I remember watching my dad building our house. Laying the bricks, cutting the timber, driving the nails, lifting the sheeting, fixing the roof and guttering.

I remember when everyone called each other "Mr. This" or "Mrs. That", first names were less frequently used, especially on first address. I remember when people wrote letters.

I remember, too, when the postman came twice a day and also on Saturday, and when banks opened Saturday mornings as well.

I remember when people didn't have to have sunglasses on their heads all the time, when men wear collars and ties everywhere, to sporting events, shopping and all. What's more, I have photos.

I remember when you took the film to the pharmacy and waited four days to get your 620 film processed and your eight contact prints back in a packet. I remember the excitement of looking forward to seeing those black and white prints that wouldn't be considered of any value today.