JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I remember when ...

8 track tape players for cars

Remember that clunking noise they made when they changed tracks?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

John, what about the 33 1/3 records/albums? I remember when...

Also the transmitter radio, the cassette player, the black/white television when for someone to have a color tv was a big deal. As a matter of fact, I remember that when a tv was advertised, the advertisers made it known whether they were advertising a black and white or a color one. They also made it known if it came with a remote control or not (now it's just called a remote, if it's actually mentioned).

I remember when even to have a telephone was a big deal. And don't even get me started on owning a frost free refrigerator/freezer.

And how many of you remember the advent of the plastic garbage bags? (Yes "garbage bags" not "trash bags."). Oh and I'm almost sure some of you remember the first disposable diapers, without the velcro like things so you had to use safety pins for (Pampers).

Edited by Luezette

Since post #23 already mentioned "LP's", I knida thought that meant "33 1/3"

I gather you meant "transmitter radio" = "transistor radio"

As to the B&W TV, I also remember when TV shows advertised that a program was in color, since most, at the time, were filmed in B&W

I also remember when calculators fist came out - and it cost well over a hundred dollars to but one that only did add/subtract/multiply/divide and had NO memory or square root functions.

Typing (not keyboarding) and short hand we courses in school ..... and they were "elective", not everyone took them

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I remember lying on the green grass (when no poison was sprayed on it) and looking up into the sky with fluffy white clouds, geese flying over head, headed south, honking as they followed the leader in a V position.  I remember the soft breeze on my face, ruffle of my hair (dry and course now, falling out), pointing up and seeing shapes of the clouds into my imagination.  Such carefree and no worries times.  I remember the white good humor truck whose bell you'd hear from two blocks away.   Once cent Popsicle and five cent Orange Cream.   I remember my parents house and the porch door was unlocked and we sat outside, and lit up our fireworks sizzling sparkles, catching lightening bugs in jars with holes in the lid, a glass of cool lemonade, my mother's soft hand caressing my father's face, they hugged a lot and once saw them kiss (yuck, I thought, ewww...), I remember being in bed by 8:30pm, school the next morning.   I remember several years later, I went to school and sat behind my very first computer, it was a keypuncher and it spewed out cards with little tiny block holes.   I just saw that machine down in Washington DC in the Smithsonian...ahhhh...history! 

It's ok to remember something from when you were 5 Yanty, it's ok honey we understand!

Aren't you making some assumptions???

:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

John, what about the 33 1/3 records/albums? I remember when...

Also the transmitter radio, the cassette player, the black/white television when for someone to have a color tv was a big deal. As a matter of fact, I remember that when a tv was advertised, the advertisers made it known whether they were advertising a black and white or a color one. They also made it known if it came with a remote control or not (now it's just called a remote, if it's actually mentioned).

I remember when even to have a telephone was a big deal. And don't even get me started on owning a frost free refrigerator/freezer.

And how many of you remember the advent of the plastic garbage bags? (Yes "garbage bags" not "trash bags."). Oh and I'm almost sure some of you remember the first disposable diapers, without the velcro like things so you had to use safety pins for (Pampers).

We had a party-line when I first moved to Maine in 1986. There was a waiting list for single phone lines. Also, although all my boys were born in the 80s, I chose to use cloth diapers. My sister, whose grown children are MUCH older than mine, was Pampers, all the way.

I remember when a new program would come out for Microsoft--before they stole windows from Apple--and there was like a gazillion letters on the back of the CD rom case that you had to punch in by hand. :uhhuh: 

In fact, you had to punch in every command via the keyboard.  It was the only way you could maneuver around.

I would visit my Brother and I would see him typing all these weird strands of random code in: "eauuu4kzz;lllpppmannneoooeiiiuuusscidddgjdfs"  just to do some simple task. :wacko:

I think Microsoft called it MS-DOS.   

I just called it stupid.  :lol: 

On the flip-side, my Brother had 100's of cool games and  programs to choose from

and none of them were compatible with my Apple products. :( 

Apple sure was stupid not letting other companies create programs for their computers.  Nope!  Apple did not

play well with others, and their customers suffered because of that.   -_-  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

John, hahaha, yep I meant transistor radios (I knew something felt missing or just didn't feel right as I was typing it. Lol). And as far as typing was concerned, well, we HAD to take it. Shorthand? Same thing...depending what your major was (but mine was nursing). But my sister HAD to take it because her major required it. The only difference was she had a choice between Pittman or Gregg.

And Lisa, oh my! Girl you brought back some lovely memories. And I thank you! Remember laying on the sidewalk at night and counting the stars? What about the wonderful games like hopscotch, jump rope, racing (feet racing), playing rope games in groups even with the adults on each end with us kids trying to pull the rope, simon says, red light green light one two three, hide and seek, etc.

And yes I do indeed remember, quite vividly, when we would catch the fire flies (we called them lightening bugs) in a jar under the lids with holes in them.

Oh my! I do remember when. It's so sad isn't it, that the children of today are deprived of these memories because of the technology that's called fun. It's making them little robots. Sad ones where all they hear and have are the commands "Kill. Maim. Get disease, etc."

Edited by Luezette

Yep and as far as Pampers are concerned, remember how some clamored about it? They felt people (translate: mothers) were being lazy. I do wonder though if cloth diapers are even made anymore.

And remember carriages? Real carriages where you can "rock a bye baby" in them? Now they have these I don't know what they're called (strollers?) So small that the poor child can hardly move in them. And so, as the child gets older, yet mother and baby still feels baby needs to be in one, mommy has to spend more money to get one to accomodate the growing child! Yep, big business. All about making "the almighty dollar." I bought a second hand crib for one child. Guess what? It lasted for three of my kids! THREE! Let today's cribs last that long. It won't happen! All I had to do was buy a new mattress for each one.

Edited by Luezette

Pauline, I'm not familiar with the telephone party line. But I do remember when there was no such thing as call waiting. There was the busy signal.

My mother used to tell us that, before the answering machine (now called voice mail) if you miss a call, don't worry about it. She said that if they really want to talk to you, they'll call back. True. Now with the voice mail, I say if they really want to talk to you but you missed the call...they'll leave a nessage. Lol.

Edited by Luezette

I did both cloth and pampers. But prayed for successful potty training! 

We started with cloth, a 5 gallon bucket and a "plumber's friend" - then moved on to "disposable" (some Pampers, some Huggies)

We had a party-line when I first moved to Maine in 1986. There was a waiting list for single phone lines. Also, although all my boys were born in the 80s, I chose to use cloth diapers. My sister, whose grown children are MUCH older than mine, was Pampers, all the way.

There were no private lines where we lived when we first got a phone. In fact, a four party was the best you could do - or you had to go with an 8 party

When they finally offered two party, I got a phone. I was one party in my room and my folks were the other party in the LR.

My Brother got the very first private line in our area - he needed it for his job and the phone company had to burry a new line so he could have one.

I remember when a new program would come out for Microsoft--before they stole windows from Apple ......

So, you are talking about before Windows but after Apple stole the graphical GUI (Windows) from Xerox?

So, you are talking about before Windows but after Apple stole the graphical GUI (Windows) from Xerox?

Don't know about any other industrial espionage antics.  They're all a bunch a' thievin' varmints.  -_- 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Yes, they are - I agree with you.

It took years, though, for Steve Jobs to finally admit he stole it from Xerox - when all the time he continually accused/reminded Bill Gates of steeling from him

I remember when:

1. Hamburgers or double cheeseburgers use to be big

2. Music was real music, Temptations, Beatles; etc

3. When we got a spanking at school, then most likely we got one at home too.

4. Milk shakes use to be thick

5. When us neighbors use to fight and the next day we made up

6  When white people had Afros. The music group ELO was a perfect example 

7. Those were involved in a hideous crimes got away with it. I was a good example of this and I thank God for statute of limitations.

8. We use to play marbles at school

9  When you know who was truly a man and a woman back then

10. When all show respect for one another.

11. Instead going on a computer tablet, all of us use to open our bible

12.  Instead all the time our parents telling us to read  the bible and bible publications, we at times did it for ourselves

13. A good amount of times while young ones got an A+ at school really deserves it. Known days if someone got an A+ at school, get a  F + in life.  

14. When males dress as males and females dress as females.

Ps. Now I got a big headache of thinking all of these.

Edited by Dustparticle

7. Those were involved in a hideous crimes got away with it. I was a good example of this and I thank God for statute of limitations.

This should create some interesting conversation about sinning and statute of limitations

I'll rate it two popcorn for now...

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

This should create some interesting conversation about sinning and statute of limitations

I'll rate it two popcorn for now...

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

How about 3 drinks?  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:    I hope I don't need elders and lawyers at my next meeting? When we are done, I bet all of them will go nuts. :loopy:  :loopy:  :wall:  :wall:

Edited by Dustparticle

I remember when almost every thing was rationed. Even with a ration card it was hard to find a good pair of kid's shoes due to the fact that most every part of the shoe was artificial leather, think cardboard.

Underwear did not have elastic waist bands, briefs had buttons so rubber could go to the war effort.

Margarine was white by law.

The big boogeyman in the closet was the OPA.

People put there kids in the trunk of the car and propped it open with a board.

Though against the law, it was not uncommon to see cars driving on the rims as the owner could not afford tires or perhaps didn't have tire ration stamps. 

Toys were made of wood, paper mache. or plaster of paris.

Thus my moniker, Old.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I remember when almost every thing was rationed. Even with a ration card it was hard to find a good pair of kid's shoes due to the fact that most every part of the shoe was artificial leather, think cardboard.

Underwear did not have elastic waist bands, briefs had buttons so rubber could go to the war effort.

Margarine was white by law.

The big boogeyman in the closet was the OPA.

People put there kids in the trunk of the car and propped it open with a board.

Though against the law, it was not uncommon to see cars driving on the rims as the owner could not afford tires or perhaps didn't have tire ration stamps. 

Toys were made of wood, paper mache. or plaster of paris.

Thus my moniker, Old.

Wow. Did you and Fred Flintstone carpool to work?