JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I remember when ...

I remember when there weren't computers. Just typewriters, manual and then the electric ones.

So because there weren't computers, everything was filed in drawers and a job opening went like this: "Looking for a file clerk. $1.50 an hour."

I remember secretaries had to know shorthand, mostly Pittman.

Edited by Luezette

I also remember when (you got me started, lol), a gallon of milk was $1 as in one quart was .25, and not homogenized, a loaf of bread was a quarter, a large snickers was a quarter and so on.

I remember when women were so respectful of themselves that even if their bra strap showed, they practically had a fright.

I remember to wear red lipstick or red fingernail polish was identifying yourself as a "lady of the night."

I remember gentlemen.

I remember gentlemen who wore real, what I call "a man's pants" or trousers, not these tight things called pants.

I remember gentlemen.

I remember gentlemen who wore real, what I call "a man's pants" or trousers, not these tight things called pants.

Then it must feel good to be a part of Jehovah's organization, where men are still gentlemen, and wear appropriate apparel. 

I remember when RAM was around $40 a meg..

I'm sure I remember when RAMS were around $40 an animal too, but since there's been an economic downturn for Farmers in NZ - we usually call our cows meg not the rams they have more musculine names usually but hey - each to their own.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I remember reading novels and listening to LP's and skimming the foam off the crock of beer in the living room. Churning butter while watching The Waltons and M.A.S.H., listening to The Statler Brothers and Merle Haggard while ironing my work uniform and watching Perry Mason while I ironed dad's  Sears uniform's. Splitting kindling and going "out" to the freezer and bringing in some meat and loaves of bread. 

All before the computer era, where the technology grew so fast I can't even keep up with what we went through. From 16 bits to Windows '95 now being bugged to upgrade to windows 10, which I'm terrified of. I want it all to stop. I just want to enjoy today. Just want to live in the moment and savor it. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Learning programming for the IBM 360 with punch cards and the actual computer took up an entire floor in the building with very cold a/c

Small personal computers with 4K of memory and NO drive

The cassette tape drive for computers

8 track tape players for cars

45s in jukeboxes

78rpm records

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~