JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Martian

My wife and I saw this at the weekend.  There are a couple of loud and clear swearwords in it, also some less clear and some using ***** when written, so be forewarned if you are very sensitive to this. some occasions of other expletives too.

Overall the film is excellent - Matt Damon's performance is extremely good and the effects/landscape are very well done.  Ridley Scott directed.

Good cast too.

We thoroughly enjoyed it - but be prepared for those words, if you decide to see it.

Profanity in the movies even on a small scale really puts me off ..

I prefer to re-watch something else that doesn't contain any swear words or read something instead or spend some time with nature etc.

Well ... Thanks for heads up in relation to profanity in this movie.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I hope to see it soon. I like Ridley Scott directed movies.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I saw this movie by myself and I know when I go to a PG-13 that I'm going to hear the ugliest word ever at least twice and this movie was no disappointment in that aspect. BUT - I must say, I really enjoyed this movie because the main character was so positive despite his situation!!! He had such a will to live! You really cared what happened to him and so it was also suspenseful because of that. I haven't gone to a movie in a theatre in probably close to a year, but I'm so glad that I picked my time and money to spend on this one.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this movie last night and I loved it. The plot reminded me a lot of Gravity.

It kept my attention from beginning to end, and I really cared for the guy. I don't use to care for characters in movies lately. Even my wife was awake during all the movie, much against her custom. :)

This movie contains a quite a lot of action, but zero violence and zero immorality. Profanity? Yes, ocasionally. But I guess if your whole life support system blows up due to an accident it's more or less understandable that you escape a four-letter word. Honestly I hear a lot more profanity in ten minutes at my workplace than during the whole movie.

One thing that impressed me was how hostile to life are Mars and the outer space. You need a constant struggle just to survive, and the smallest mistake can mean your death. In contrast, everything on Earth seems designed for us to live.

Another thing that impressed me a lot is how accurately we can measure movements of heavenly objects. A rocket is sent to Mars. Scientist can measure to the second how much it will take to arrive there. Engineers point the rocket not to where Mars is now, but to where it will be in the moment the rocket arrives. And it falls exactly in the place it is programmed to fall. It's so absurd to conclude that no one created those laws!

I watched this movie last night and I loved it. The plot reminded me a lot of Gravity.

It kept my attention from beginning to end, and I really cared for the guy. I don't use to care for characters in movies lately. Even my wife was awake during all the movie, much against her custom. :)

This movie contains a quite a lot of action, but zero violence and zero immorality. Profanity? Yes, ocasionally. But I guess if your whole life support system blows up due to an accident it's more or less understandable that you escape a four-letter word. Honestly I hear a lot more profanity in ten minutes at my workplace than during the whole movie.

One thing that impressed me was how hostile to life are Mars and the outer space. You need a constant struggle just to survive, and the smallest mistake can mean your death. In contrast, everything on Earth seems designed for us to live.

Another thing that impressed me a lot is how accurately we can measure movements of heavenly objects. A rocket is sent to Mars. Scientist can measure to the second how much it will take to arrive there. Engineers point the rocket not to where Mars is now, but to where it will be in the moment the rocket arrives. And it falls exactly in the place it is programmed to fall. It's so absurd to conclude that no one created those laws!

Carlos, if the movie was made in Apache language there wouldn't be any profanity

Why ?

Because in Apache language there is no profanity ! Interesting isn't ?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Carlos, if the movie was made in Apache language there wouldn't be any profanity

Why ?

Because in Apache language there is no profanity ! Interesting isn't ?

You are right, I have never watched a movie in Apache language that contained any profanity. Oh, wait, I have never watched any movie in Apache language. :D

I keeep hoping the world will wise up and realize how ugly profanity is and how NEEDLESS it is too. All people need to do is use a bit more of their brain compacity to come up with regular words that can convey how they feel, rather than using one small ugly one (or string them together) - using one ugly word is easier and requires less thought and effort. Satan's system always goes toward the way of least resistance.

I'm in total agreement with you Brother Carlos. Space has been portrayed as some fanciful and nice place to be. It is not. there is so much space radiation and charged particles emitting from sun. No gravity. Everything rotates. No oxygen. The Earth has everything we need to thrive. I hope to see it soon.

Every day I'm in awe in how Jehovah protects us from the harmful rays of the sun and how earth's many systems support us- material that I get from a daily YouTube space weather reporting.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

When I saw this movie, all I could think is "WHYYYY!??? Why would man want to try to inhabit a planet that was not obviously meant for him to inhabit?  Then when I saw this guy trying so hard to survive on a planet that couldn't support him in any way, I was just won over by his resolve! It's like Jehovah's people against Satan and his system, the odds seem insurmountable but somehow it's done! We not only survive buy we thrive because Jehovah wants us too! 

When I saw this movie, all I could think is "WHYYYY!??? Why would man want to try to inhabit a planet that was not obviously meant for him to inhabit?  Then when I saw this guy trying so hard to survive on a planet that couldn't support him in any way, I was just won over by his resolve! It's like Jehovah's people against Satan and his system, the odds seem insurmountable but somehow it's done! We not only survive buy we thrive because Jehovah wants us too! 

Brigette, I agree that it doesn't make much sense to send people to Mars at present, just for the renown of being the first one to get there.

However, I hope humans will be able to inhabit Mars some day. After all, everything really needed to terraform it is just water, and it seems there's water in Mars. Once you have water, you can start changing the atmosphere. Plants will be helpful for that.

Brigette, I agree that it doesn't make much sense to send people to Mars at present, just for the renown of being the first one to get there.

However, I hope humans will be able to inhabit Mars some day. After all, everything really needed to terraform it is just water, and it seems there's water in Mars. Once you have water, you can start changing the atmosphere. Plants will be helpful for that.

That's it ! you just have cooked yourself .. once the earth is populated and we have one man to spare we are kicking you out to Mars with couple plants and rabbits ! LOL :lol1:Marsa -la-vista Carlos !

Since profanity is one of the things that has been the hardest for me to kick, I think I notice it more. Like for instance I watched the goonies a year or two ago and I was appalled by how much swearing there was in a kids movie. I didn't even recall it being in there. It doesn't ruin a movie for me, but i definitely notice it where I didn't before.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I heard on the news earlier that the only reason Mars is so barren is because it gets the worst of the solor flares coming off the sun.  Jehovah could easiy control that sort of thing if and when the time comes, and then , yes, life would be possible!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it. Seen it over the weekend. ☺

I liked it. Seen it over the weekend. ☺

I saw it last weekend and I liked it too! It was very realistically done.

If being able to travel in a space ship from earth to mars by humans was a possibility   :)

EDIT: I liked the idea of sending supply ships ahead of time and having a plan of multiple trips in the works.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What do all of you think about some of the "scientific" things they presented in the movie?

Maybe some of you know the answers to a few questions I had about this movie:

> Botany

If you take full grown potatoes and plant them in the ground, more potatoes will grow?

Don't you need seeds?

> Outer Space or a hostile planet's atmosphere

When the astronaut on Mars had his face mask on his space suit become cracked and was leaking air out,

wouldn't any small crack in your mask cause your immediate death?

And would duct tape(even NASA duct tape) really prevent any air from leaking out or prevent the strong atmospheric

pressure from killing the astronaut?

> Punctured Suit

At the beginning of the movie the astronaut was hit by some antennae during the storm and punctured through

his suit. The conclusion was that the metal being stuck in him stopped the bleeding and so he lived, but what about the suit

being punctured? It seems that a person would die immediately in outer space or on a hostile planet if there is any

small, tiny opening in their space suit?

> There are other things in the movie I was wondering about scientifically, but just can't remember.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

What do all of you think about some of the "scientific" things they presented in the movie?

Maybe some of you know the answers to a few questions I had about this movie:

> Botany

If you take full grown potatoes and plant them in the ground, more potatoes will grow?

Don't you need seeds?

> Outer Space or a hostile planet's atmosphere

When the astronaut on Mars had his face mask on his space suit become cracked and was leaking air out,

And would duct tape(even NASA duct tape) really prevent any air from leaking out or prevent the strong atmospheric

> Punctured Suit

At the beginning of the movie the astronaut was hit by some antennae during the storm and punctured through

his suit. The conclusion was that the metal being stuck in him stopped the bleeding and so he lived, but what about the suit

being punctured? It seems that a person would die immediately in outer space or on a hostile planet if there is any

> There are other things in the movie I was wondering about scientifically, but just can't remember.

I think the science was right on.

For the most part, Potatoes are not grown from seed, they are grown from the eyes of the potato which each potato has one or more. Planting whole spuds would increase the chance that new plant would form and at the same time providing some nutrients for feeding new growth.

The purpose of the suit is maintain an internal pressure inside that would prevent the dangerous gases on the exterior from creeping in. The pressure differential would be very low. Likewise with the duct tape, it would only have to contain a very low pressure differential to prevent further influx of the bad atmosphere.

In the case of his suit being penetrated by the antenna the same principals would apply, a slow leak would not cause death. If you have ever seen a nail embedded in a tire you are wise not to pull it out if the tire isn’t flat, it will go flat immediately.

He was not in a space suit, the suit was just to protect him from a harmful environment. When in space they wore a space suit. 

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Don't you need seeds?

Yes, that's the way it's done. You can plant full potatoes or you can cut them in two and plant the pieces.

I am not sure about outer space, but in Mars a crack wouldn't cause your immediate death. The conditions on the surface of Mars are less hostile than in outer space. As long as oxygen is flowing from the tank, you can breathe. Mars' atmosphere is very thin. that means that atmospheric pressure is very weak and no poisonous gas would enter the helmet. The only problem is that with a crack you quickly run out of oxygen. Tape would fix the problem because there is no strong pressure in any direction.

Regarding temperature, it varies a lot. In summer during the day it may be around 70 degrees, which is quite nice. At night it's around -80. Cold, true, but there are inhabited regions in the Earth that reach almost that temperature in winter. Compare with the -455 degrees from outer space. Even with a crack, the suit would be useful to keep the body warm.

In outer space the main problem is lack of presure. The air in your lungs or any other parts of your body expands and wants to go outside. Temperature is very low but since there is no air to transmit it, it would take some time to freeze.