JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Turkey Shoots Down Russian Warplane Near Syrian Border

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3042 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There is so much fighting around the world. It looks like a WW3.

World War 2 for Japan started prior to 1939.  The Second Sino-Japanese War started in 1937 and ended with Japan's defeat by the Allies in 1945.  World War 2 started in 1939.  

So, your comment has merit.  It's possible these unrelated small conflicts could merge into one larger war.  The nations may feel that the only way to defeat ISIS is to also stop the Syrian civil war.  Stopping the fighting in Syria is definitely the only way to solve the European refugee crisis.  

Turkish fighter jets shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday, the first time a NATO member's armed forces have downed a Russian or Soviet military aircraft since the 1950s, and an act Vladimir Putin said would have "significant consequences."

Turkey said the aircraft had violated its airspace and been warned 10 times in the space of five minutes before it was attacked. The country has requested an extraordinary NATO meeting to inform members about the downing of the jet, which will take place at 5pm Brussels time (11:00am Eastern time).

Sounds like "Peace and Security" to me  :lol1:

Actually, it sounds like what happens when several countries with different agendas are fighting in the same area. There is always "collateral damage" and "friendly fire" incidents. It is just a powder keg waiting to blow up EVEN MORE.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Stopping the fighting in Syria is definitely the only way to solve the European refugee crisis.  

I would agree that the Syrian influx has been the straw that has broken the camel's back in terms of the scale of the problem, however Syrian refugees are not the only migrants seeking shelter in the E.U.  There are many people from Africa and other middle eastern states in the mix as well.

Even if Syria was resolved there are still many, many people convinced their best hope for a secure future lies in coming to Western Europe.

For more background see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911

Edited by seagull

So a few weeks ago people were speculating that Russia's bombing of Syrian rebels would wind the West up and precipitate further conflict then we had speculation around France and Russia getting all matey after the Paris attacks (the precise opposite of the previous speculation).  Now we have a pretty serious incident which the Russians will be under intense pressure not to escalate but only time will show if Putin can hold himself back.  Who is going to start the next round of 180 degree speculation....  :D

I would agree that the Syrian influx has been the straw that has broken the camel's back in terms of the scale of the problem, however Syrian refugees are not the only migrants seeking shelter in the E.U.  There are many people from Africa and other middle eastern states in the mix as well.

Even if Syria was resolved there are still many, many people convinced their best hope for a secure future lies in coming to Western Europe.

For more background see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911

Syrian refugees is what is in the media.  Nobody is talking about the other refugees.  The United States pledged to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees, not just refugees.  Don't burst my bubble with your facts!  LOL

I thought the Russians had some super awesome jamming equipment that would make this impossible. I guess that was just a hoax?

http://defence.pk/threads/russians-admit-uss-donald-cook-jamming-was-hoax.363358/

Russians admit USS DONALD COOK jamming was hoax............

Source: http://defence.pk/threads/russians-admit-uss-donald-cook-jamming-was-hoax.363358/#ixzz3sQRX4SPE

Some people will believe anything   :nope:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Sounds like "Peace and Security" to me   :lol1:

Actually, it sounds like what happens when several countries with different agendas are fighting in the same area. There is always "collateral damage" and "friendly fire" incidents. It is just a powder keg waiting to blow up EVEN MORE.

Hey, whatever it takes to get the nations together under the UN direction is fine by me.  If it takes the brink of war to get the nations to agree to give the UN authority, then so be it.

Personally I'm worried that all of these tense moments are going to pass and the Witnesses that think this is the brink of the Great Tribulation are going to be severely let down and disappointed and that disappointment is going to lead to some abandoning their faith.  

I thought the Russians had some super awesome jamming equipment that would make this impossible. I guess that was just a hoax?

http://defence.pk/threads/russians-admit-uss-donald-cook-jamming-was-hoax.363358/

The article you reference calls it a hoax, which is different from Russia admitting it was a hoax:

Khibiny is being installed on Su-30, Su-34 and Su-35, so the famous April attack in the Black sea on USS Donald Cook by Su-24 bomber jet allegedly using Khibiny complex is nothing but a newspaper hoax. The destroyer's buzzing did take place. This EW system can completely neutralise the enemy radar, but Khibiny are not installed on Su-24.

So the article admits the system can neutralize radar, and yet doesn't address the possibility that the system might have been in the testing stage in the incident of the USS Donald Cook. It would stand to reason that because of the fact that the system worked so well, it was then being installed on multiple crafts.

Hey, whatever it takes to get the nations together under the UN direction is fine by me.  If it takes the brink of war to get the nations to agree to give the UN authority, then so be it.

Personally I'm worried that all of these tense moments are going to pass and the Witnesses that think this is the brink of the Great Tribulation are going to be severely let down and disappointed and that disappointment is going to lead to some abandoning their faith.  

Our main focus is preaching.And you are right some friends might think some events or a event might lead to the end and when it pan out, their faith are shatter. 

Amazing, at one time humans were shooting turkeys, now turkeys are shooting people... we ARE in the end times!

Seriously, it is a very dangerous thing... Russia may be provoked to take some action against Turkey... and Turkey is a NATO member... critical times!

Edited by jpcook

I think most of us have been riding this roller coaster since the mid 70's and for those who haven't, we can help them see that just because it isn't happening the way we think it may (or when), doesn't mean it's not going to happen - just keep alert and keep preaching!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I think most of us have been riding this roller coaster since the mid 70's and for those who haven't, we can help them see that just because it isn't happening the way we think it may (or when), doesn't mean it's not going to happen - just keep alert and keep preaching!

Amen!

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm....ok.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-says-black-box-from-warplane-downed-by-turkey-unreadable/ar-BBnMyv4?ocid=spartandhp

russia-says-black-box-from-warplane-downed-by-turkey-unreadable

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Seems to have fizzled out. Fortunately this wasn't the spark that set off a shooting war.

I wonder what would have happened If the black box confirmed the jet was in Turkey air space..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I wouldn't be surprised if that is not the reason why it is unreadable now.

That was my first thought. It's a good thing they used a big hammer...

It's a shame that I think that way...