JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite movies

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

followed by The Force Awakens

I did enjoy TFA actually. Was a blast at the cinema, it felt like I was a kid watching Star Wars again. The last movie of Star Wars I saw was ROTS when I was 13 and I came out rather dissapointed, it felt nothing like Star Wars to me, just the "skin" of SW.

The only changes I'd made to TFA is to get rid of the Resitance thing, because it's the same old Rebels v Empire all over again, I'd rather have a logical progression like the old books did, to see the pay off and results of the Original Trilogy, and to see the old characters in the figure head seats, with new ones leading the adventure. I would of had the New Republic be the faction of focus for the good guys, rather than just blowing it up in a single scene, because that to me undermines the previous three films and you may as well be watching the OT again with new characters.

I really liked the new characters though, Rey, Kylo (he is my favorite of the new characters, very complex, raw emotion and feels real) and so on. Just make the Republic the "big faction" and have the First Order as the little hit and run bad guys, a role reversal of the orginals.

As for the last Jedi... I was rather dissapointed with it on multiple levels. There are some entertaining scenes and great visuals. The acting was fine too, but really has no further substance for me. The pacing, the continuity of characters and to the previous films & lore and the plot in general all we negative for me. I feel they failed to build up on what TFA set up (and this is literally true to a large extent because they actually thew out the orginal script and story which was made to follow TFA and just wrote a new one which was hardly related in anyway because they could).

I feel TLJ could have rescued the sequels by taking it in a direction which capitalized on the successes of TFA, but they instead captilized on it's very few negatives and blew them up into a whole movie. If I was in charge of TLJ, I would of had the NR not destoryed, but rather gathers the remainder of their forces to join up with the Resistance, and together they then are simply the Republic army against the First Order, keep things fresh in that sense, and also to not have Luke out of character as a hermit hiding away (because he previously did something out of character which lead him there) but have him on another planet trying to figure something out to help his friends, rather than abandon them. That and actually have Rey have to be trained to use her abilities, rather than her being good at everything for seemingly nothing. It would be fine if they followed up on the idea that she was already trained by Luke beforehand but lost her memories, and retained her skill (hence her mixed up flashbacks) and this was hinted at in TFA book, where Kylo says to her "it is you", that and in the movie of TFA it's implied Han Solo knows her. But still... lol. I'm rambling. :lol:

I had very different visions for the sequels in how they should have gone. (As did a lot of fans who have been into the Expanded Universe for most of their lives).

11 hours ago, Luezette said:

Tariji Hanson! 

Great performance in this movie, particularly the scene where she has a meltdown.

9 hours ago, Dove said:

More than just good entertainment when you know it's true....

More or less true. If you look at it as a social commentary of the day and age, yes, it is "true", but upon looking closer you realize that these ladies were held in higher esteem at NASA than the movie portrays.

Edited by ChocoBro

5 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Great performance in this movie, particularly the scene where she has a meltdown.

More or less true. If you look at it as a social commentary of the day and age, yes, it is "true", but upon looking closer you realize that these ladies were held in higher esteem at NASA than the movie portrays.

Yes all movies are embellish the facts somewhat, to make it more entertaining, otherwise it would be a documentary.

But the fact that these 4 women were able to accomplish something the other scientists were not under less than ideal conditions which the movie did not try to hide, was what the movie was all about; giving them credit for what they did. It was both entertaining and factual..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, EccentricM said:

I grew up on a lot of fantasy and mythology, as well as comedy and musical. But to make a list of my all time faves, not in any particular order..

Orginal Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983). (I grew up with the prequels too, but I accept today they were not as well made as the orginal. I have some gripes with the new sequel trilogy, but remain a fan of the franchise, though at this current time I'm more of a fan of the pre-disney era.)

Indiana Jones 1-3 (1981-1989)

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Clash of the Titans (1981)

Ben Hurr (1959)

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)

The Mask (1994)

Innerspace (1887)

Hook (1991)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Shrek 1-3 (2001-2007) (Have not seen the others yet)

Road to El Dorado (2000)

Emperor's new Groove (2000)

Pirates of the Carribbean 1-3 (2003-2006)

Superman 1-3 (1978-1983)

Home Alone 1-2 (1990-1992)

Night at the Museum 1-3 (2006-2009)

On the Beat (1962)

Way out West (1937)

Sons of the Desert (1933)

The Music Box (1932)

The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930)

Twister (1996)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

Mary Poppins (1964)

School of Rock (2004)

Johnny English 1-2 (2003-2011)

Back to the Future (1985-1990)

Wizard of Oz (1939)

And most likely a few more :lol:

I'll just steal this list and add the princess bride, guardians of the galaxy vol2, most of the star trek movies, wreck it wralph, the despicable me trilogy, and the how to train your dragon films and that's a wrap XD

Oh yeah and monty python and the holy grail

Edited by Katty

59 minutes ago, Katty said:

I'll just steal this list and add the princess bride, guardians of the galaxy vol2, most of the star trek movies, wreck it wralph, the despicable me trilogy, and the how to train your dragon films and that's a wrap XD

Throw in a few black and whites like the Thin Man series and it's a deal...

Oh. I loved We're No Angel's with Bogart...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Katty said:

I really like How to Train Your Dragon, as well as its sequel...Looking forward to the 3rd one! 😎

And The Princess Bride is a must have on the list.

3 hours ago, Katty said:

Yeah, but you've got The Princess Bride on your mind because I mentioned it the other day when talking about the Digging item and the study note for Luke 13:33. :D

I'd have to throw some Pixar in there, Inside Out maybe, or The Incredibles.  I really like Mr. Peabody and Sherman, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Meet the Robinsons - films about misunderstood geniuses generally, I guess. :blushing: And Mary and Max, which I suppose is a toned down more realistic view of the same sort of plot, though with some dark humour.  I always like the bit where Max's air conditioning unit falls out of the wall and crushes a mime (who keeps miming actions like walking as if he would be getting out of the way of the falling weight, but never does).  The narrator says, "Luckily, his manslaughter charges were dismissed because he was declared mentally incompetent and unlikely to have a motive for killing a mime artist... unlike most people."

4 hours ago, Ferb said:

crushes a mime

....poor guy was just miming his own business.....:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...