JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2886 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hmm, interesting.  Well, I've seen George Benson in concert a few times in the last 20 years and own several of his cd's plus two of his greatest hits compilations.  I venture to say that the male vocal on "I Give You My Best" is not Benson.  Please listen to that song again.  Then listen to Benson's voice at this YT link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0psTmnf_DKM

I've listened to that beautiful JWB song several dozen times and can honestly conclude that that male vocal is the JW brother of a famous R&B singer.  They have similar styles and tone in their voices. (imo)

• 2 weeks later...

50 minutes ago, mserskine said:

Not because of not having a hip surgery resulting from a refusal of a blood transfusion?

PLEASE tell me you are lying...

It has been stated publicly Prince is a baptized Witness. We need to make sure we do not promote possible falsehoods about a brother, even if he was famous. We want to avoid gossip and slander, even if unintentionally. Doesn't this topic do just that? Think about it.

Edited by steadfast

4 minutes ago, steadfast said:

It has been stated publicly Prince is a baptized Witness. We need to make sure we do not promote possible falsehoods about a brother, even if he was famous. We want to avoid gossip and slander, even if unintentionally. Doesn't this topic do just that? Think about it.

I don't know who or what you're referring to, but its been long known that Prince WAS a baptized Witness. The only people who were/are promoting "gossip and slander about a brother" are apostates and other opposers.

I'm referring to everyone, not you or any other specific member. :)

Lots of speculation about our brother. Am I wrong? Just think about it a little more. If you don't agree, that's OK. I've been wrong before.

Jehovah is the God of the living and the dead. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob. Prince? :)

Edited by steadfast

2 minutes ago, steadfast said:

I'm referring to everyone, not you or any other specific member. :)

Just think about it a little more. If you don't agree, that's OK.

But what "falsehoods" are being promoted here?

1 minute ago, steadfast said:

Quick response! Post edited.

I think the point I am making is, that we are not the cause of these "falsehoods, speculations, slanders" etc concerning Prince. And simply repeating them is not an endorsement or "promotion" of such. We are not saying they are true -- we are saying the opposite, that they are "false".

And for all intents and purposes, Prince "WAS" a JW because he's dead. But let us not argue semantics here.

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

But what "falsehoods" are being promoted here?

This thread is full of speculation and posting of links, stories, etc. of unverified information - about a brother!

A suggestion to anyone who has ears to listen:  do some WT Library research on speculation, gossip, slander, falsehoods in the media and see if it applies to this thread.

Sorry for any offense, none intended. :)

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

I think the point I am making is, that we are not the cause of these "falsehoods, speculations, slanders" etc concerning Prince. And simply repeating them is not an endorsement or "promotion" of such. We are not saying they are true -- we are saying the opposite, that they are "false".

And for all intents and purposes, Prince "WAS" a JW because he's dead. But let us not argue semantics here.

I said Prince "is" a baptized Witness. You corrected me by saying "WAS." A simple mistake on my part, my reply was not meant to be taken seriously. So I agree, no arguing over semantics.

OK, so you disagree that this thread promotes falsehoods. No biggie. Peace!

4 minutes ago, steadfast said:

OK, so you disagree that this thread promotes falsehoods. No biggie. Peace!

You haven't shown *where* falsehoods are "promoted" (advanced as true) by anyone here. By virtue of us setting the record straight about our brother, you're claiming that's a "promotion of falsehood"?

You can put this to rest by showing where a falsehood is "promoted". Do not make the claim, and then run from the discussion when you're called out on it.

Edited by Bob

12 minutes ago, steadfast said:

This thread is full of speculation and posting of links, stories, etc. of unverified information - about a brother!

A suggestion to anyone who has ears to listen:  do some WT Library research on speculation, gossip, slander, falsehoods in the media and see if it applies to this thread.

Sorry for any offense, none intended. :)

I think you're the one that needs to do research. You seem to have difficulty differentiating "unverified information" from "false information". 

Steadfast started a thread called "JW Talk-Are We Being Disobedient, Indiscreet and Unwise" you might want to check out - perhaps you can see the direction of his thinking and concerns.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Just now, shali said:

Steadfast started a thread called "JW Talk-Are We Being Disobedient, Indiscreet and Unwise" you might want to check out - perhaps you can see the direction of his thinking and concerns.

indeed.... :mellow:

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

You can put this to rest by showing where a falsehood is "promoted". Do make the claim, and then run from the discussion when you're called out on it.

Keep in mind, I have not accused anyone specifically of a falsehood. I also said that no one has to agree with me. At least give me some time to post specifics from this thread and from the FDS before I am accused of running from the discussion or making my own false accusations toward others. I have not had time to gather any of this evidence you guys are requesting. Hopefully, you might then understand what I mean. :)

49 minutes ago, steadfast said:

Gary, take the time to read the entire thread and you will see that same reminder posted over and over. We like to think that we all have equally Biblically trained consciences and are aware of what we say and do but thanks for the reminder.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 minutes ago, shali said:

Yes, and I did say in that thread that I had some concerns which I will post later. Right now my head is spinning and I can't possibly address all of these responses.

Can I ask what I posted here that warrants such an unloving response and atttacks? I attacked no one. I have had no time to respond to questions or with support for my thoughts.

Please brothers, give me some time! Please! I have been unloving towards no one! My posts are proof of that.

Edited by steadfast

6 minutes ago, steadfast said:

Keep in mind, I have not accused anyone specifically of a falsehood. I also said that no one has to agree with me. At least give me some time to post specifics from this thread and from the FDS before I am accused of running from the discussion or making my own false accusations toward others. I have not had time to gather any of this evidence you guys are requesting. Hopefully, you might then understand what I mean. :)

This is getting ridiculous.

Don't worry about it -- have a good day!

37 minutes ago, steadfast said:

Sorry for any offense, none intended.

I disagree, it seems that you have suddenly decided to cryptically impose your conscience on everyone else in the forum.

PM me if you want but I suggest that if you have something to say, say it clearly and distinctly and then make your own choices.

EDIT: If you are concerned about something or someone specifically, then use the private section of the forum to communicate with the moderators, they do a great job.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

57 minutes ago, steadfast said:

Jehovah is the God of the living and the dead. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob. Prince? :)

At the risk of prolonging an odd conversation, I really don't understand what you are saying here.

:shrugs: 

18 minutes ago, steadfast said:
Just now, Tortuga said:

At the risk of prolonging an odd conversation, I really don't understand what you are saying here.

:shrugs: 

I think he was trying to say that Prince "IS" a Jehovah's Witnesses in the sense that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob "are" alive because they are in God's memory.

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

I think he was trying to say that Prince "IS" a Jehovah's Witnesses in the sense that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob "are" alive because they are in God's memory.

...that was in response to someone saying that brother Nelson was a Witness...got it, thx.

Edited by Tortuga

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2886 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.