JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library issue

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

Yah -- that's a drag... but it's okay, thank you! :)  It's just weird the app decided to just flake out like that.  

NOT happy to discover that at the assembly!!! :P 

Did you download the things on the app to your internal memory or to a memory card?  If to the memory card, you may have to format the memory card before you start downloading again to regain all the memory on the card.

45 minutes ago, mserskine said:

Did you download the things on the app to your internal memory or to a memory card?  If to the memory card, you may have to format the memory card before you start downloading again to regain all the memory on the card.

No -- all the downloads to go my SD card.  But... i have photos, music, etc on there, as well.  I'm not entirely keen on losing all that by reformatting.. :(

Guess I'll see what happens... I'm gonna start it now.. :P 

1 hour ago, mserskine said:

You will lose everything you have downloaded when you uninstall and reinstall the app. Also the space used by all you download should return. However, you will have to re download everything again.  Sorry.

is this just an android problem? :confused:    so far I've noticed no issues like this with apple!  :superman:  (Its my understanding we will have underlining and notes next month) :wub:

Edited by timpin

I'm thinking it's just a "Uani" problem... :P

I just reinstalled, downloaded everything and it seems to be okay, now.  And it did clear out all the previously downloaded things from my SD card, so all is well.  Thank you, friends! :D

56 minutes ago, timpin said:

is this just an android problem? :confused:    so far I've noticed no issues like this with apple!  :superman:  (Its my understanding we will have underlining and notes next month) :wub:

I believe the same will happen on Apple devices if you have to uninstall and reinstall the app.

10 hours ago, mserskine said:

I believe the same will happen on Apple devices if you have to uninstall and reinstall the app.

You're right. I hope nothing ever happens to my iPad. Here's another question for expert iPad users. If I backup my iPad via iTunes, and I have to uninstall the JW Library app, can I restore everything in the app via iTunes, such as publications, videos, highlighting, and bookmarks?

9 hours ago, leoperales said:

You're right. I hope nothing ever happens to my iPad. Here's another question for expert iPad users. If I backup my iPad via iTunes, and I have to uninstall the JW Library app, can I restore everything in the app via iTunes, such as publications, videos, highlighting, and bookmarks?

I believe if you restored the entire backup everything would remain, but you can't restore an individual app.

22 hours ago, Hope said:

I'm thinking it's just a "Uani" problem... :P

I just reinstalled, downloaded everything and it seems to be okay, now.  And it did clear out all the previously downloaded things from my SD card, so all is well.  Thank you, friends! :D

Hope, I just saw this. I see you got it working ok but I was wondering,  if all your downloads go to the SD card could you have removed that and then uninstalled the app?...or is the app itself installed on the card?

I have JW Reader, from way back, I have all my publications in it and also in Moonreader pro. Those are on my card. JW library is in system storage, with a bunch more publications.  Kinda redundant,  but I like it that way. .

No -- the app is on the device but in Settings, I have the downloads go to the SD card.  It was no big deal, really - I was able to get it all back in order within 20 minutes.  The main annoyance was that it decided to die on my Assembly day.   :P

2 hours ago, Hope said:

No -- the app is on the device but in Settings, I have the downloads go to the SD card.  It was no big deal, really - I was able to get it all back in order within 20 minutes.  The main annoyance was that it decided to die on my Assembly day.   :P

Next time, remove your SD card before reinstalling the app and that way you won'the lose all your pub's and video's.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

It was okay -- I don't really keep a whole lot on my device anyway -- the Bible, Insight, School book, latest magazines and study issues.. A few videos for ministry but I don't keep the long ones.  It was actually great in that the literature I'd been meaning to delete was already gone! :D 

8 hours ago, shali said:

Next time, remove your SD card before reinstalling the app and that way you won'the lose all your pub's and video's.

I think that in SD card, only videos and audios can be stored. Not the pubs. So in case of reinstalling you need to download again the pubs. 

6 hours ago, ouzo said:

I think that in SD card, only videos and audios can be stored. Not the pubs. So in case of reinstalling you need to download again the pubs. 

No, if a person chooses to download to an SD card, everything downloads to the SD card, not just videos and audio.   

Just remember to "unmount" the card before you remove it.  After uninstalling the app and then reinstalling, put the card back i and "mount" it. 

19 hours ago, Trey said:

I believe if you restored the entire backup everything would remain, but you can't restore an individual app.

Tim, have you personally done this? I'm thinking of buying an iPad with more memory, and I would like to save all my highlighting and bookmarks when I do a restore with iTunes. If you haven't, has anybody else with an iPad done this?

21 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Tim, have you personally done this? I'm thinking of buying an iPad with more memory, and I would like to save all my highlighting and bookmarks when I do a restore with iTunes. If you haven't, has anybody else with an iPad done this?

I have not restored since highlighting was added so I cannot verify it. I'd be happy to check when 9.3.2 is released. 

2 hours ago, mserskine said:

No, if a person chooses to download to an SD card, everything downloads to the SD card, not just videos and audio.   

I can manually add Watchtower publications to the SD Card, but if you click on the SD Card download feature in JW Library, only multi-media goes there.  I opened my SD Card and looked in the "watchtower mobile" files and they show 3 folders.  Movies, Music and Temp.  I have an Android 4.4 tablet.

I noticed a new problem with the JW Library on my Samsung Tablet and my Android phone yesterday.  All of a sudden about 3 dozen of the audio songs from our songbook (audio, not the lyrics) and one other publication shows up in my "pending updates".  When I started to update them, most would not, it would go through the motions and then the symbol would revert back to the cloud instead of the "more" button and the update symbol.  Some would actually show that they updated and give me the "more" button afterwards.  I only did about 10 downloads on the audio when I got frustrated with the results and closed the app.  A short time later I opened the app and everything that I thought had updated now showed that it needed updated again! I was right back to where I started from.

So I tried to update again - this time I only managed to change the update and more symbols to a cloud - I was going backwards!  After trying to update two audio files and getting that result my app crashed.  I restarted my tablet, reopened JW Lib and tried to do an update again - app crashed after only trying it once. 

The funny thing is - the update that all these audio files shows are way to big to be just updates - it's like they are the original files and I never downloaded them but I have!!!  They shouldn't be showing up in my pending updates at all but about 3 dozen songs from 1 to 54 are there showing they need updated and I can't do anything about it.

I am having the same problem with my phone but since I don't have all the songs downloaded on my phone, it's not showing I need to update as many audio files, but I get the same result when I try.

Anyone else going through this?

P.S. Any publications in my pending updates will download and disappear.    It's just the audio files that are the major problem now.  Now when I click on them they do absolutely nothing, no action at all.  I thought I would try deleting them entirely and redownloading, but nothing happens when I tap delete either. 

Edited by shali

I showed pending updates on my iPad a few days ago which consisted of a few audio files and Awake #2. All the audio files I was able to update. However, in trying to update the Awake, a message popped up saying that this publication was not available at this time and to try again later. I've tried several more times but the same message keeps popping up. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app hoping that would solve the problem. Well, after the app reinstalled, the pending update went away. Yet, when I went to download that very same Awake #2, the message popped up again saying the publication was not available. The other magazines downloaded OK, just not the particular Awake.

Wish my problem were that simple.  I don't understand the updating of half of the songs and then not being able to update them!  I've encounted this glitch along with it downloading the Afrikaan language automatically without me doing anything!  I can't get it off the "recommended" part of my language list now! 

Alright here is an update - I went back to all my "Pending update" files that wouldn't update and deleted them all.  So now they are out of pending updates.  Then I went to "publications", "audio Programs", "Sing to Jehovah- Piano" and they all appeared there as not being downloaded, so I tried to redownload them from there.  Funny thing is, some will download, other's go through the motion and then I get the "cloud" back, so they didn't download.  I'm not sure why some are downloaded and others are not because I'm doing them one song at a time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I had that problem Shali and when the cloud showed up again I touched it again and again. It would finally be all downloaded. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.