JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library issue

OK, I have an issue with the meeting workbook and how it functions in the JW Library app. I thought we had a topic (besides the "updates" topic) that was for posting problems with the app, but I can't find it right now. :shrugs:

It's hard to explain in a few words.

In my Android devices, If you click on the "meetings" tab and then the meeting workbook, and go to "Congregation Bible study" and open the link to the Imitate their faith book. While you're in the book and click on one of the scripture links and go to that scripture, I can't find how to get back to the study book. If I hit the back button on my tablet, it takes me back to the Bible, and if I hit the back arrow in the upper left, it takes me back to the workbook, not the Imitate their faith book. Does anyone else have this issue?

I think it's because the CBS is in the study pane and the scripture link takes you out of the study pane to the bible..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Following the path Chuck laid out above all I have to do is click the back button. The first couple times it got lost but then it has worked fine for a half dozen Scriptures I tried.

Meetings tab; Workbook; May 2-8; Congregation Bible Study - ia chap. 14 (Full Screen); Scripture link; Scripture in Bible (Full Screen); Tablet Back button to get back to ia chap. 14

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

5 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Does anyone else have this issue too? Wasn't fixed with latest upgrade for Android. Link not working in 2016 yearbook or is it that I'm not working?

de7bf92464db40750ac55bbcc8bc9c68.jpgb195f37b4dde80c7bdec15314b8ecd1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It may be because it's the same link two links down, although highly unlikely. Does the Chosen Gathered Ones link work?

Regarding Bro. Chuck’s question – the back button on my android phone works to take me back. I don’t have a study pane on the phone, just a new screen. If that makes a difference.

Regarding Bo. Tracey’s question - I have similar on my android phone. Clicking the link you highlighted takes me to the WT article. The reference is in the footnote in paragraph 8. My windows tablet shows a footnote after the “(Read)” in paragraph 8. My android phone does not show a footnote, thus no reference available.

Edited by outwalkin

One other issue that I have (particularly annoying when I'm the WT reader) is that the app doesn't work with the new notes method of putting it in the end of the article. Before,  the notes appeared on the study pane, but on the new wt's they don't. I have to go down to the bottom of the article and then it's hard finding the way back...   

One of my "issues" is that the app does not "remember" the last page you were on, and will always default to the bible. I would prefer if it would go back to the last page you were at, which for me is either the daily text or the presentation when out in service, even if you don't close the app and only went to another app for a second.

Edited by Sylv

8 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I am sorry, I'm getting a little confused.  Are we discussing these features on all versions of the JW-Library app (all OS) or just the new Android version?

I think the title of this thread leaves it open to all OS's.

In the new Android version:

Here is what I found.  My tablet is Android KitKat 4.4. 

If I open the MWB to May 2-8, go to CBS and open lesson, it opens in the “study-pane” on the right side. When I click on scripture link (it opens Jonah in full-screen).  If I click the Android app back-arrow, it takes me back to the MWB but not the specific lesson or paragraph.  The Bible back-arrow takes me to the Bible chapters and books.

However, if I open the MWB for May 2-8, go to the CBS and open the lesson AND then click on the lesson title in the “study-pane”, it opens the lesson in full-page in the book.  Then when I click on a scripture link, the Bible verse appears in the side “study-pane” and no backing out is needed since the lesson paragraph never left the page.  Moreover, if you need to open the Bible by touching the scripture verse cited in the “study-pane” it will take you to the whole-page Bible.  If you click on the Android App back-arrow, it will return you to the exact paragraph you left originally.  The top arrow in the Bible still reverts to the chapters and books of the Bible.

So the advice is open the Imitate book lesson to full-page and everything works fine.

As a side-point, if you studied your book previously (or highlighted a week or two ahead) in the publication, when it comes up each week it has the highlights, it is the same book.

8 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Does anyone else have this issue too? Wasn't fixed with latest upgrade for Android. Link not working in 2016 yearbook or is it that I'm not working?

de7bf92464db40750ac55bbcc8bc9c68.jpgb195f37b4dde80c7bdec15314b8ecd1d.jpg

Do you have the publications in the right margin downloaded from the cloud in JW Library?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

2 hours ago, Sylv said:

One of my "issues" is that the app does not "remember" the last page you were on, and will always default to the bible. I would prefer if it would go back to the last page you were at, which for me is either the daily text or the presentation when out in service, even if you don't close the app and only went to another app for a second.

On my Windows tablet it always defaults to 'Home' page when I close it out. Not so on my Android phone. It opens to where ever I was when I closed it. This is useful in the ministry. 

I just tried my Android phone (it’s an LG-3 with Android 5.1).  Added to my previous posting:

When you open the lesson, it LOOKS like it is full-screen but it is not.  What you see is a full-screen replica of the “study-pane”.  To open the Imitate book fully, you must still tap the lesson title.  It blinks and looks much the same but you are now in the book not the “study-pane”.

When you tap the scripture link, it takes you to the Bible, when you tap the Android App back-arrow, it takes you back to the paragraph you just left.

The key is opening the Imitate book to full-screen.

Do you have the publications in the right margin downloaded from the cloud in JW Library?

That publication is same article, which I personally refer to as the great WT of 2013, just the "page 5" is the link that doesn't work...so far..

14 hours ago, rocket said:
15 hours ago, Musky said:

OK, I have an issue with the meeting workbook and how it functions in the JW Library app. I thought we had a topic (besides the "updates" topic) that was for posting problems with the app, but I can't find it right now. :shrugs:

It's hard to explain in a few words.

In my Android devices, If you click on the "meetings" tab and then the meeting workbook, and go to "Congregation Bible study" and open the link to the Imitate their faith book. While you're in the book and click on one of the scripture links and go to that scripture, I can't find how to get back to the study book. If I hit the back button on my tablet, it takes me back to the Bible, and if I hit the back arrow in the upper left, it takes me back to the workbook, not the Imitate their faith book. Does anyone else have this issue?

I noticed that on the meeting tab, the workbook for this month had an "update" symbol on it.  I could not get from the Bible back to the Imitate book as he said - it would take me back to the list of Bible books.  When I updated the workbook, then when I went to the Imiate Book and then clicked on a scripture, if I hit either the back button or the arrow at the top of the page, it would only take me back to the workbook - not the Imitate Book - this is on my Android phone.  I haven't tried it on my tablet yet because I still use Moonreader for meetings on my tablet since I can make notes in it.  I think if they put the Imitate book as one of the icons on the meeting tab and you could access it that way instead of going through the workbook, then all would work right.  Unfortunately, not even the history button shows that you were in the Imiate the faith book because the link was within the Workbook.  So it's probably best to just open up the Imiate book within Publications and use it that way.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

After further checking this issue out on my tablet here is what I've noticed - when you are in the workbook off your meeting tab and click on the Imitate book link in the workbook - it opens up in the study pane.  From there, click the heading and it opens up in your Imitate book that is downloaded in your publications.  Now you can go back and forth between scriptures and book easily.  I think that is how they wanted it to work in this tab.  History now picks up the book also.  I don't think must of us would enjoy studying the book from our study pane as we would miss out on the wonderful illustrations.  So this makes sense.

Edited by shali

I assume it doesn't work on the phone because the screen is too small to have a "study pane".   So it's the same as the tablet, when you click on the Imitate book link in the Workbook (off the meeting tab), the screen goes to the what the Imitate book normally looks like in the study pane - from there you click on the header and it opens up the Imitate book with the illustrations and you can easily go from your book to your scriptures as it should be by using the "back" button on your phone (not the arrow at the top of the screen).

You need to open the lesson in the jw library , then click the lesson again after its opened,after that you can use your back button after reading a scripture.

Edited by Faith

I should've read Shali's comment before posting.

There is no music shuffle on android (yet???), only on Apple devices.

And I presume Windows smartphones since the JW library app music shuffle and play all functionality works on my laptop.